Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2001 7:08:00 PM EDT
Howdy!

I'm trying to replace the extractor spring on a buddy's Ruger p89dc, but I can't figure out how to get the dang slide off! I've gotten as far as pulling the takedown lever almost all the way out, but from there I'm stuck. Do any of you have a hint for me? What's the trick here?

.... or would it be better to just send it back to Ruger and let them do it? I've heard conflicting stories about the length and coverage of their warranties.

Thanks,
AB
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's like the P-85, you pivot down the takedown lever inside the mag well, retract the slide a little ways, then push out the slide release from the frame and remove it, kind of like a 1911. From there the slide should come right off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont know how to change the spring but I can tell you how to remove the slide.

First remove the magazine and make sure the weapon is unloaded .

Lock the slide back.

Push the extract down from the top of the open slide, it rotates forward and down.

Release the slide. Then push and hold the slide back about 1/4" so that the notch cut out of the slide lines-up with the the slide release.

The push the slide release out of the frame.

You should then be able to remove the slide by pushing it forward.

If this doesn't work try downloading a manual from Ruger's webpage.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!

What I have found so far....

1) Ruger pistols are wierd.

2) There does indeed seem to [b]not[/b] be an extractor spring.

3) The extractor can be puled out with a fingernail. There is no tension there at all.

Does anyone know if Ruger sells parts directly? Is there a better source for replacements?

Thanks again,
AB
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Put the pieces in a box and send them to Ruger. They'll put it back RIGHT and probably for free. I have had good experiences with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top