Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2001 8:27:11 AM EDT
Read this article
[url]http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/jun01/agent12061101a.asp[/url]

The part that bothered me was this:
Special Agent Christopher Lorek, who was seated at a picnic table with Berkin when he shot himself May 25, told police that it's necessary to pull the trigger on the pistol to release its slide mechanism
View Quote

You have to pull the trigger to release the slide??????  What the heck is that?  With my Sigs you have to lock the slide back in order to release the slide.  With my Rugers you have to open the slide and push down the ejector and then pull the pin out.  No way on either that the above would happen.  I know a lot of you like Glocks and this agent should have practiced normal safety precaution, but this seems a little dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]
"Lorec said he saw Berkin pull the trigger, and the gun fired, because 'there must have been a bullet in the chamber." Yep........a trained professional. Didn't this *sshole ever hear of "clearing your f*cking weapon?"
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Field stripping a Glock requires the firing pin be in the uncocked position so the slide can then be retracted 1/10 of an inch and released. Obviously this knucklehead violated at least two of the cardinal rules of gunhandling. It doesn't matter what kind of firearm you are cleaning, if you don't follow safe handling rules you will get BITTEN! We had a moron here in Phoenix shoot and kill his kid while cleaning a revolver! He's either lying or a total idiot, either way he should never be trusted with anything more dangerous than a fork.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
What's dangerous about pulling the trigger to remove the slide?  The @!#%% guy should have triple checked the chamber before stripping the gun.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
We had an incident about couple of years ago where a police officer did the same thing.  He just shot out the cleaning rod and put a hole into the range table.  That's was a fast cleaning job.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweep, I did note that the agent should have practiced safe procedures and HE ALONE is to blame.  It just seems that the requirement to pull the trigger is not idiotproof and this is more likely to happen with a Glock.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#9]
There is only ONE safety that is effective 100% of the time.  

That safety is located between one's ears.  

If that safety is not "switched on" - then NO mechanical safety is worth a dang!  

If it IS "switched on" - then lack of a mechanical safety presents no harm.

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]
As motoguzzi said, the gun must be decocked before it can be broken down, hence pulling the trigger.  Have any of you ever pulled the trigger of a firearm with it pointed at your body?  If so, consider yourself fortunate that the fist of Darwin didn't come crashing down on you.  Besides, even if he didn't have to pull the trigger to break it down, he still would have been attempting to field strip a loaded gun.  Not good.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Field stripping a Glock requires the firing pin be in the uncocked position so the slide can then be retracted 1/10 of an inch and released.
View Quote

glocks don't "cock"!  that's what's supposed to make them so "safe".  as far as i'm concerned,
there is only ONE pistol, the HK USP!  exposed hammers for all!
[pistol]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#13]
It's nice to know that we have guys like this on the front lines fighting crimes!
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Just goes to show how smart you have to be to be a Fed these days!!  This clown will probably be helping with gun confiscation someday. Mental note: when you hand'em over, make sure they are loaded and you're out of the way.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, when you disassemble a glock, you have to pull the trigger.  Somehow, though, I also remember checking the chamber is also a pretty important step.  

Maybe he was trying to clear the chamber via the EXPRESS method.  To bad he pointed the pistol at himself when he did it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
HAHA, I told my wife about this she laughed, Duh, check it first, is it empty? When I was in the Academy we had a recruit shoot himself with a Glock. He was from London and was lost on guns. Makes you wonder about the real safety on a gun......the person holding it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Ahhhh! I feel so safe with the FBI on guard!
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I can almost see what he did in my mind.

Well I need to clean this thing. Better clear the weapon. So he racks the slide and ejects a round. [i]THEN[/i] he drops the magazine. Pulls the trigger to disengage the firing pin [B]BLAM!!![/B]

One dumb ass FBI agent the got what he deserved!! Remember, drop the mag FIRST, then clear the chamber!! Doesn't matter if it is Glock, Colt, HK, etc.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#19]
hahahahahahahahahaha (gasp, gasp, gasp) hahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Most FBI agents probably never draw their weapons and have law degrees and liberal educations.  I'd say there are damn few that know how to shoot really well.  But whatever.  I'm taking my ceramic glock with it's plastic bullets down to the airport to see if the scanners will pick it up. Anyone want to tag along?

Never liked hammerless pistols...
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#22]
my ruger mk2 requires that the trigger be pulled multiple times while removing the bolt. This guy just shouldn't have been touching a gun. He was obviously stupid. I bet he still had a full mag in the gun too
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:

Special Agent Christopher Lorek, who was seated at a picnic table with Berkin when he shot himself May 25, told police that it's necessary to pull the trigger on the pistol to release its slide mechanism
View Quote

You have to pull the trigger to release the slide??????  What the heck is that?  With my Sigs you have to lock the slide back in order to release the slide.  With my Rugers you have to open the slide and push down the ejector and then pull the pin out.  No way on either that the above would happen.  I know a lot of you like Glocks and this agent should have practiced normal safety precaution, but this seems a little dangerous.
View Quote
Yes it is dangerous, it is a firearm. If you're not careful, you could shoot your eye out. Or your leg out.Glocks rule, FBI Agents drool (and apparently bleed).                  
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I reckon to those with little training on this weapon, anything is possible. I personally do not like the 'safety' thing, as you just have the trigger. All my life I have used the Browning High Power (L9A1 military model) which is really 'shit' for a duty gun. The L9A1 is great for military use. The RAAF use the Glock, known as the JAP (9mm Jet Aircrew Pistol), and I have shot it, but sure would take time to get used to the trigger set up. I used to privatly own a 92F which for a duty gun was good. I liked the double action thing. Excellent ! I am not slamming the Glock, in well trained hands it would be okay, but here in Australia there has been cases of the police (NSWPS use Glock in .40)) and RAAF having UDs and people getting shot.(and not the baddies either)quote]Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Read this article
[url]http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/jun01/agent12061101a.asp[/url]

View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 2:52:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey Larry,do you honestly think you have to pull the trigger to break down a Glock.Only a moron would see a Glock as being dangerous,you are one scary dude.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:00:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes you do have to pull the trigger to break a Glock down.

Step 1 - Clear the Gun.
Step 2 - Repeat Step 1
Step 3 - Pull Trigger (If at the range I do it pointed down range, or a the clearing barrel)
Step 4 - Pull the takedown lever down will holding the slide SLIGHTLY out of battery. If you pull to far back go back to step 1, it is again at "half-cock".
Step 5 - Holding takedown lever down move the slide foward, until off the lower.
Step 6 - Remove spring/guide rod
Step 7 - Remove barrel

to re-assmeble start at step 7 work back to step 5

Yes Glock is different, 34 total parts, trigger pull can be adjusted by simply changing a $2.00 spring. Some parts even interchange between different caliber guns.

Oh, for all you "safety lever" guys, how many safeties on a revolver?

Berretta makes the gun tha is supposed to dis-assemble so easy that someone standing on the business end can steal your slide...Glock won't do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top