Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 3:50:31 PM EDT
I had a firearm shipped to my local FFL  from a private individual out of state.  However, my FFL dealer insists they cannot transfer the gun to me without a copy of the shipper's driver's license.  Their reasoning is "because the gun didn't come from an FFL".  First, I have shipped several guns to out of state FFL's and have never been asked by the receiving FFL to submit any info on myself.

Is an FFL  dealer required to obtain info from a private individual in this situation?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have a state law that requires this, tell your FFL dealer to actually READ the transfer rules.

I have sold two firearms to GA residents and I never sent them my drivers license number and I am not a FFL holder.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless I'm really confused, you are technically buying the gun from the dealer. He received it from the seller, logs it into his bound book then "sells" it to you. Any info he needs he should have gotten for the transfer to him. All he needs from you is your $$$, your ID, and a 4473 filled out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the deal on the gun.  I traded for a gun with another member, who is in Texas.  The details were worked out, and he shipped the gun to my FFL dealer, as he can't ship it directly to me.  The person shipping me the gun is not an FFL dealer, but a private seller.  I assumed I would simply pay my $10 for the transfer, fill out the 4473, and be on my way.  However, it hasn't worked out like this.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Im in the process of trying to do a transfer with a fellow arfcomer whos FFL thinks it illegal for me to ship her the firearm to transfer to him.. Now I have to go to my FFL to have him ship it to her.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Unless I'm really confused, you are technically buying the gun from the dealer. He received it from the seller, logs it into his bound book then "sells" it to you. Any info he needs he should have gotten for the transfer to him. All he needs from you is your $$$, your ID, and a 4473 filled out.

What you said!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your FFL is a dipshit who doesn't know the rules.

However, he now has YOUR gun. So perhaps you have to play his game to get your property.

Find a new Xfer FFL.

D.
AZEX

Out of curiousity, how would the recieving FFL know who the gun came from?  

How would he log the gun in if he did not have the info on who the gun came from?  

Am I missing something?  At the shop where I help out from time to time We always have to log the gun in from some one (or FFL).  

Would you buy a gun from someone off the street in your shop and not get a copy of thier DL when you log the gun in?  I would not and the guys I work with would not either.  Having a gun shipped to the shop with no info is the same thing.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Your FFL is a dipshit who doesn't know the rules.

However, he now has YOUR gun. So perhaps you have to play his game to get your property.

Find a new Xfer FFL.

D.
AZEX

+1
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I think the dealer is being reasonable.  He is willing to accept the firearm from a nonlicensee, which a lot of dealers won't do.  All he asks is that he have the proper identification for him to log the acquisition into his "bound book".  He is required by Federal law to properly log in the firearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top