Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 8:07:52 AM EDT
anyone know?

i thought spain was 1...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard Finland and New Zealand,  but don't know first hand.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Australia does... but I don't know what they would put them on, boomarangs maybe.

I think restricting silencers is an American thing.  Most countries view them as a way to shoot without all the noise.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
anyone know?

i thought spain was 1...

Spain?????
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think Australia does... but I don't know what they would put them on, boomarangs maybe.

I think restricting silencers is an American thing. Most countries view them as a way to shoot without all the noise.

Gee, what a concept.  We need to try to sell that one to our congress critters!

Seriously.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Doesn't Canada sell them to anyone without restriction?

Canada has some interesting gun laws.

A few years ago, you could own a full auto rifle, like we own semi autos.  

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I think they're almost mandatory in Germany.  As common as mufflers on cars there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I've heard that France does.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#8]
They do here in Britain, providing you have the correct paperwork.
FWIW you can just go in and buy them for air rifles.
Norway and Finland have no restrictions at all
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Air-rifle suppressors.....

is that like a hot-water heater?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I've heard that there are lots of places you are expected to use them as a noise abatement issue.

I think suppresors were demonized by Hollywood just like switchblades where they were banned by lawmakers in a typical kneejerk reaction.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all, they're actually quite effective, especially on the pre-charged, compressed air types.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#13]
australia   aslong as you have paprework for the rifle you own
switzerland  no restriced firearms at all
canada?<---?
finland the say it cuts down on noise polution
sweden...albeit restricted to the area you live
israel    you can go buy a mp5sd if you have the cash on any corner gun store
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
New Zealand sells them. A coworker you workks and lives there just got one for his 10-22. $30 dollars US. He can't get a hand gun but he can get a silencer for it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I can confirm that they are EASY to get in the UK.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
In Canada they are expressly forbidden...

5 years in jail for having one in your possession.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You can probably make an effective AIR rifle silencer with a toilet paper tube.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Pfft. Just stick a plastic soda bottle over the end of your .22. Instant supressor.

Works surprisingly well for any firearm, actually. Until it disintigrates after the second or third shot.

I wouldn't mind a supressor for my rifle while deer hunting. Keeps the group from figuring out what's going on long enough to get a second shot off and head back to the cabin with two deer.

Of course, they're probably illegal for hunting and definitely a pain in the ass to get, so I'll likely never own a suppressor. God knows the hoopla the lawyers would make if I ever went to court over anything. "He owns a machine gun and silencer! Oh teh noes!!!!!111!!!1"
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Pfft. Just stick a plastic soda bottle over the end of your .22. Instant supressor.  
Works surprisingly well for any firearm, actually.

You wouldn't be advocating illegal activities, now would you ?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
finland sells them without restriction.

sound suppressors were added to the nfa or 1934 at the insistance of game wardens concered with poaching. the great depression was still rolling along and many folks could only afford to put meat on the family table if they poached game.

Know anybody in Finland ???
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Works surprisingly well for any firearm, actually.

You wouldn't be advocating illegal activities, now would you ?

Knowledge is never evil or illegal (or it shouldn't be).  But, I really don't think a plastic bottle over the muzzle of a gun will accomplish anything.  In fact, I know it won't.  Have fun trying, though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Theyre easy as fuck to get here too.  Just dont live in a commie state.

I dont have any or anything.  

Boating accident. etc.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I keep considering buying one of these but just haven't gotten around to it.

Air Force Talon SS

"his exciting rifle is absolutely the most innovative airgun to hit the market in many years. Its unique design combines the use of aircraft grade aluminum with space age polymers to produce a high performance rifle unlike any other in existence. The carbine-length Talon derives its power from highly compressed air which is stored in a refillable DOT-certified tank which is fitted into the rifle butt. The tank can be inexpensively filled from a standard scuba tank or from a high pressure hand pump. With infinitely adjustable power levels, the .22 caliber Talon can reach velocities up to 1000 FPS for awesome potential. Its impressive list of features includes a Lothar Walther premium rifled barrel...TruGlo fully adjustable fiber optic sights...an ergonomically designed fire control system... automatic safety... adjustable two-stage trigger... oversized cocking knob... and a large pellet port. The Talon is capable of accepting a whole host of add-on accessories including scopes, lights, lasers, bipods, night vision equipment, and many other accessory and sighting devices. The Talon is a genuine, one-of-a-kind original - an innovative design that's sure to set the pace for other airguns in the twenty-first century. This new Talon SS features a 12 inch barrel and incorporates an integrated sound reduction system. The system allows unobtrusive indoor or backyard target shooting at noise levels comparable to quieter spring piston airguns."

www.compasseco.com/shop/prod_show.php?art_no=AU1023SS
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I keep considering buying one of these but just haven't gotten around to it.

Air Force Talon SS

www.airforceairguns.com/images_talon_ss/talonss-popup3.jpg

"his exciting rifle is absolutely the most innovative airgun to hit the market in many years. Its unique design combines the use of aircraft grade aluminum with space age polymers to produce a high performance rifle unlike any other in existence. The carbine-length Talon derives its power from highly compressed air which is stored in a refillable DOT-certified tank which is fitted into the rifle butt. The tank can be inexpensively filled from a standard scuba tank or from a high pressure hand pump. With infinitely adjustable power levels, the .22 caliber Talon can reach velocities up to 1000 FPS for awesome potential. Its impressive list of features includes a Lothar Walther premium rifled barrel...TruGlo fully adjustable fiber optic sights...an ergonomically designed fire control system... automatic safety... adjustable two-stage trigger... oversized cocking knob... and a large pellet port. The Talon is capable of accepting a whole host of add-on accessories including scopes, lights, lasers, bipods, night vision equipment, and many other accessory and sighting devices. The Talon is a genuine, one-of-a-kind original - an innovative design that's sure to set the pace for other airguns in the twenty-first century. This new Talon SS features a 12 inch barrel and incorporates an integrated sound reduction system. The system allows unobtrusive indoor or backyard target shooting at noise levels comparable to quieter spring piston airguns."

www.compasseco.com/shop/prod_show.php?art_no=AU1023SS

Wow, that is an awesome airgun. I love pellet guns.....I might need to add to my arsenal.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Works surprisingly well for any firearm, actually. Until it disintigrates after the second or third shot.

I wouldn't mind a supressor for my rifle while deer hunting. Keeps the group from figuring out what's going on long enough to get a second shot off and head back to the cabin with two deer.

Of course, they're probably illegal for hunting and definitely a pain in the ass to get, so I'll likely never own a suppressor. God knows the hoopla the lawyers would make if I ever went to court over anything. "He owns a machine gun and silencer! Oh teh noes!!!!!111!!!1"

It is perfectly legal in Kentucky. I think it is in Texas as well.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#26]
In Canada silencers are a no-no.

In Europe they are almost mandatory.

CRC
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can probably make an effective AIR rifle silencer with a toilet paper tube.

For a .50BMG, I suppose I'll need a paper towel tube...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Illegal in Aus.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Tell your British dealer its to go on your air rifle and they will sell you a .22 rimfire rated silencer…

BTW, guy I shoot with has a 30ft/lb Precharged air rifle… all you hear is a small pfft as it fires… at 10 yards you cannot hear it.

ANdy
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
In Canada silencers are a no-no.

CRC

www.ebay.co.uk is your friend…
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Sweden.

What about Switzerland? Don't they get to take home their duty rifle after service? Amazing the lack of crime in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sweden.

What about Switzerland? Don't they get to take home their duty rifle after service? Amazing the lack of crime in Switzerland.

You can buy pretty much anything in Switzerland… if you're a citizen you can buy SIG assault rifles over the counter without any paperwork! Yep! The dealer keeps no record of who he sold it to.

Andy
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Doesn't Canada sell them to anyone without restriction?

Canada has some interesting gun laws.

A few years ago, you could own a full auto rifle, like we own semi autos.  

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Never, silencers are illegal, and as for the "a few years ago...." comment, that was thirty years ago or so, which would be about the same for you as I recall, last amnesty for the 68 ban.....

No legal silencers up here, and I iwll not comment onillegal ones, as the gov can do no wrong
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top