Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 7:41:40 AM EDT
Ok...now for you GM and Chrysler smart asses...you can just sit on the sideline and watch!  This is a SERIOUS question for the automotive geniuses on ARFCOM:

My truck is a 2001 Ford Ranger (Hey...it was cheap!).  I drive it daily to-from work.  I put about 300 miles per week on it.  I just had the oil changed and under most conditions, it runs perfectly.  I use it for hauling stuff too...it IS a work vehicle.  It gets regular maintenance per the recommendations in the owner's manual.

Today while driving to work, traffic was light and we all were moving VERY FAST.  In fact, I wasn't paying attention, just following the pack when my truck began sputtering and coughing like something was choking it up badly.  In fact, I was accelerating when it occurred.  I did a quick instrument scan and looked for smoke in the rear-view...thinking that maybe I'd blown a head gasket or lunched a piston.  Nothing.

Then I noticed the speedo...and it read +90!!!  I quickly backed off and the problem disappeared.  WTF?  I decided to lay back and wait for a long gap in traffic (Again...very light) then I floored it again.  At first the 4.0 liter six pulled hard then just at 90mph...sputter...cough...cough...blech!  No more!  I then coasted back down to the normal speed and continued to work.

So...for all of you Ford guys...is there a governor on my engine?  Is this a computer problem?  Is this thing terminal?  Should I just STFU and live with it?  In truth...I've never done anything close to 90 in that thing since purchasing it.  I was surprised to realize how fast we were all going.  I don't usually drive anywhere close to this fast and the engine seems to operate fine as long as I don't ask it to go ninety.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
My 98 3.0 Ranger 4 x 4 has a govenor that cuts out at approx 98mph. I have heard that you can get it removed by reprogramming the computer either by changing the chip or having someone on the "inside" at a dealership reprogram it for you.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd bet you're hitting the speed limiter.  It's a pretty harsh experience!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
yep...governor.  I pulled the computer from mine (along with the engine, tranny and transfer case) and swapped it and all wiring with a 5.0 from a 91 Mustang.  (tranny came from an 81 F150, transfer case from a 79 Bronco, custom driveshafts)  I don't pass a lot of gas stations, but my Frankentruck will go WAAAAAYYYYY past 90!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It is a speed limiter.  Put it in neutral and see if you can rev it over 3000 rpm.  I have an '02 4.0L 4X4 Edge that won't rev over 3000 rpm it just cuts out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is a speed limiter.  Put it in neutral and see if you can rev it over 3000 rpm.  I have an '02 4.0L 4X4 Edge that won't rev over 3000 rpm it just cuts out.

THAT'S IT!!!  You are RIGHT!  The damn thing refuses to rev over 3k when in neutral.

Thanks guys...you all got it right.

I'll just take it easy.

Much appreciate.

Once again...there is NOTHING that can't be learned by simply logging on to ARFCOM!  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Good to hear you solved this. I had something similiar going on one time on a vehicle that did not have a governor. It turned out to be a dirty inline fuel filter. At slower speeds the filter would keep up with the fuel consumption. At higher speeds it would not and the engine would begin to cough and sputter. --RR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top