Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 8:18:45 AM EDT
I would like to build a backstop to shoot into but not sure what to use. I live on 40 acres which is bordered on all sides with trees and about 20 of open field. There is a house on all sides. Is the best thing to is to have sand hauled in? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Any FORD will do
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
build up a berm.. Just  make sure you check for hot spots after  sometime.

J
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#3]
dirt, dirt, and more dirt...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#4]
What will you be shooting?  You could stack a couple of layers of cross ties and pile old car tires behind them or push a mound of dirt behind them. Two layers of cross ties should be good for small rifle and if you mound dirt behind it you could shoot about anything you can afford.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You could stack up some of the convicts in the local prison, that always works.

Sorry, just thinking out loud again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Just my AR, shotguns, and handguns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Me and a friend built one with old railroad ties. We stacked them into a horseshoe shape about 4' high. Had a few loads of sand dumped in.
We've shot a few thousand rds of rifle and pistol into it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have high spots, rent a dozer and move the dirt to make a berm. If it's flat land, bring in a couple of loads of dirt
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I helped build one out of trees we cut down.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]
How about railroad ties with a nice berm behind them. you owuld be able to staple targets tight to the ties.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a downside to having a "range" on your property.  I went to a property auction that had a very small; one bench range on it.  Before the new owner could assume posession of the property, the range dirt had to be hauled away in an EPA Aproved Manner to a toxic waste site.  The shit of it is that as soon as this was complied with you could resume shooting.  Check on this before you build your backstop just incase you ever decide to sell the land.

Or you could just bulldoze it all down and deny everything!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Do some research on the maximum dangerous range for the rounds you are firing... ask yourself what would happen if you accidentally let one slip over the burm. I don't care how "careful" or "experienced" you are, its a singnificant risk that you should think through.

Also, what are your neighbors like vis a vis noise ? Are you gonna be getting the local authorities called out to your place by the John Kerry supporter next door every time you shoot ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#13]
The people around here all shoot so the noise should be fine. Just would like to have something at home so I don't have to go to the range everytime I want to shoot. Thanks for all the help so far.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Old truck tires 10.00 x 20's or larger filled with sand .
Then face the backstop with some 3/4 plywood .

I have a buddy with this setup that has absorbed at
least 50K rounds and the tires are still holding the sand .
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#15]
How many layers of tires do you think I should use. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How many layers of tires do you think I should use. Thanks for the help!

He has 6 stacks of 10 tires each which makes the backstop about 12- 15 feet wide and 8-9 feet tall .
Behind the tires is a large pile of wood chips that he gets for free from a local tree service
that is happy to have a place to dump them .
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Kittens... lots and lots of kittens.  Armin
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#18]
A lot of good suggestions.  Logs, railroad ties, tires, dirt, etc..  They all work great.  I'll tell you what NOT to do.  When my son was on H.S. shop class I got some good 1/2" steel plate and had him weld up a nice bullet trap.  I figured that would be super safe for shooting in the yard.  Well it would take anything from .22 to  .45 no problem.  Except it made one hell of a lot of noise.  The clang of the bullet hitting the 45 degree steel back plate sounded like ricochets to one of the neighbors.  Being the cool dude that he is, he came over to investigate instead of calling the cops.  I assurred him that no bullets were leaving the trap (which I had in a 6' deep gulley for double protection) but immediately gave up on using the trap.  Now we just shoot into pieces of log or timber with a dirt berm backstop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top