Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 1:32:01 PM EDT
Would stripping, sanding, reshaping and refinishing an SAR1 stock turn it into a U.S. domestically manufactured part?

I'm going to have a Saiga redone and I've got an extra stock from my SAR1 laying around after I put the Romanian Folder on it.  Could I refinish/bed liner it and use it as a U.S. part?

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
No
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
No
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
After you're done refinishing it, just stamp "Made in USA" on it...problem solved!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
No
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
After you're done refinishing it, just stamp "Made in USA" on it...problem solved!

As far as I'm concerned, you could redo it and try and change the shape a weeeee bit and stamp it "made in USA"...

If they can't prove it, who cares?   The dimensions don't match up, nor does the finish.... what could they do?

- BG

Disclaimer:  BUCC_Guy does not condone or encourage illegal behavior.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is that if you take a "Pre Ban" magazine and alter it to fit another rifle - in a way that makes it no longer useable in the rifle in which it was originally intended for - you have made a new "Pose Ban" magazine and are a bad evil child killing criminal.  If you alter it in a way that still allows you to use it in the original rifle youre a good honest citizen.  I'm wondering if the same applies to stocks.  If you can still use it on the original rifle you just refinished it.  But if you can no longer use it in the original SAR1 you may have made a new American made stock.  I'm not sure though.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a conversation with our local BATFE agent right here in colorado about the same subject.he stated"When enough manual effort{Gunsmithing,etc.} is applied to an imported part,and accordingly marked,it is considered a U.S. compliant part". He also stated this info was in the 94 import ban.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Heh, yes you do.....

If you could do that with a stock then what other parts could be done that way ??

Can I take everything off my receiver and blast the "original" finish off and then re-finish it....  maybe even stamp MADE IN US on the side of it and now have a "domestic" receiver ??  

When put in that light your request is easier to judge....

LB
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
What constitues "Made in America"?

We all know that many companies build products overseas and ship them to the U.S. to have the tags sewed in which state "Made in U.S.A."  

What about the steel that in in our Ford/Chevy trucks that was smelted in China?  Are these vehicles U.S. made?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I'm concerned, you could redo it and try and change the shape a weeeee bit and stamp it "made in USA"...

If they can't prove it, who cares?   The dimensions don't match up, nor does the finish.... what could they do?

- BG

Disclaimer:  BUCC_Guy does not condone or encourage illegal behavior.

hell even if the shape matches but you use a different finish, how can they prove that you arent a really good carpenter?  sue for libel if they say you arent good enough to do it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top