Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 1:51:37 PM EDT

ROYAL AIR FORCE MILDENHALL, England (USAFENS) –  Bruce Dickinson, lead singer of Iron Maiden and commercial airline pilot, talks with Senior Master Sgt. Milton Griggs, KC-135 Boom Operator in the 351st Air Refueling Squadron, during a refueling flight with the 100th Air Refueling Wing at Royal Air Force Mildenhall Oct. 25. Mr. Dickinson is hosting a five-part series for the Discovery Channel titled,"Flying Heavy Metal," and will feature the 100th ARW's personnel and KC-135 Stratotankers. (Photo by Capt. Shane Balken)

ROYAL AIR FORCE MILDENHALL, England (USAFENS) – Airman 1st Class John Acosta, an Aircraft Propulsion Systems Apprentice from the 100th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, talks with Bruce Dickinson, lead singer of Iron Maiden and commercial airline pilot, during his visit to Royal Air Force Mildenhall Oct. 25. Mr. Dickinson is hosting a five-part series for the Discovery Channel titled, "Flying Heavy Metal," and filmed the first show with the 100th Air Refueling Wing personnel and KC-135 Stratotankers. (Photo by Airman 1st Class Franklin Perkins)
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
So whats your favorite Maiden song?

Mines "Still life"

Just thought I'd hijack a little
:P
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I've long wondered how much hearing guys like Bruce have left.  Pushing 25 years in the business...  I bet that headset is turned way up...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Bruce Dickinson? Does he need more cowbell?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Mines "Still life"

All from Piece of Mind.  Revelation->Where Eagles Dare->Flight of Icarus->The Trooper.  All 4 right there on one album.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Kewl... I knew that Bruce was a decent pilot, but I didn't know how experienced. Some other musican/pilots with much experience are Chris DeGarmo of Queensryche and Steve Morse -- both guitarists. Also, guitarist Alex Lifeson of Rush is a pilot (dunno how experienced, but the other two are both ATP rated). A while back I got on the FAA registry (to see if I was listed on there) and found a whole bunch of celebs, their addresses and their ratings and planes registered to them. A handy database.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mines "Still life"

All from Piece of Mind.  Revelation->Where Eagles Dare->Flight of Icarus->The Trooper.  All 4 right there on one album.

Agreed. "Piece of Mind" is my favorite album
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
[All from Piece of Mind.  Revelation->Where Eagles Dare->Flight of Icarus->The Trooper.  All 4 right there on one album.

Damn... it's getting scary now... something that me and DP agree on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweeet!

My favorite Dickinson album isn't with Maiden...

"Tatooed Millionaire" circa 1990...

"Sun of a Gun"  Best mother f'in song, ever
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is how SNL can fuck something up reading liner notes on a BOC Greatest hits.

Bruce Dickinson was a teenager when "Dont Fear the Reaper" was released in 1976.

He did produce a remaster for a greatest hits album a couple of years ago.

There was no Bruce Dickinson in production credits for "Agents of Fortune" the 1976 album that reaper was realeased on.

Yeah, I dunno what their deal was on that. Maiden's Bruce is not a big league producer so I was not confused.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
This is how some people can get suckered into beleiving that the Saturday Night Live skit was based on truth.

SNL and BOC have said it was a joke.

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is how SNL can fuck something up reading liner notes on a BOC Greatest hits.

Bruce Dickinson was a teenager when "Dont Fear the Reaper" was released in 1976.

He did produce a remaster for a greatest hits album a couple of years ago.

There was no Bruce Dickinson in production credits for "Agents of Fortune" the 1976 album that reaper was realeased on.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The Trooper

You’ll take my life but I’ll take yours too
You’ll fire you musket but I’ll run you through
So when your waiting for the next attack
You’d better stand there’s no turning back

The bugle sounds as the charge begins
But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath
As you plunge into a certain death

The horse he sweats with fear we break to run
The mighty roar of the russian guns
And as we race towards the human wall
The screams of pain as my comrades fall

We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground
And the russians fire another round
We get so near yet so far away
We won’t live to fight another day

We get so close near enough to fight
When a russian gets me in his sights
He pulls the trigger and I feel the blow
A burst of rounds take my horse below

And as I lay there gazing at the sky
My body’s numb and my throat is dry
And as I lay forgotten and alone
Without a tear I draw my parting groan

That song always gives me wood. Every time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
My favorite is Hallowed by thy name with Piece of Mind being my favorite album.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#16]
The fucking truth....

www.pauseandplay.com/boc.htm
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Mines "Still life"

I suppose I'll have to weigh in on this one...

Itunes believes my favorite Maiden songs are:

1. Wasted Years
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. The Trooper
4. The Wicker Man
5. New Frontier
6. Sea of Madness
7. Two Minutes to Midnight (Live)

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#18]
...!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sweeet!

My favorite Dickinson album isn't with Maiden...

"Tatooed Millionaire" circa 1990...

"Sun of a Gun"  Best mother f'in song, ever

Check out "The Chemical Wedding" (1998) if you haven't yet. Some cool shit on there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"Die with your Boots On!"

+1  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Aces High
The Number of the Beast
2 minutes to Midnight
Run to the Hills
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Have any of you Maiden fans checked out their new album DANCE OF DEATH??? If you liked PIECE OF MIND you will love DANCE OF DEATH. There is not ONE song on there that I dislike. I think it is well orchestrated and produced.

I rarely see a band make a comeback... this is one of those occasions that I do.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Have any of you Maiden fans checked out their new album DANCE OF DEATH??? If you liked PIECE OF MIND you will love DANCE OF DEATH. There is not ONE song on there that I dislike. I think it is well orchestrated and produced.

I rarely see a band make a comeback... this is one of those occasions that I do.

Yep. Great record, as was "Brave New World." They sound as good as ever, and didn't make some overt 'change' to follow the times.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm surprised there are so many maiden fans here. Favorite Maiden song: Alexander the Great ( I'm a history buff)

Bruce is one of the few vocalists out there who's voice is instantly distiguishable.

teenage girl voice: I have all thier records!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Aces High
Two Minutes to Midnight
The Trooper
Powerslave

Maiden Rocks.

Bruce looks awfully good for his age and what I KNOW he's probably done to himself.

Hafta check out the New Maiden Album...

SG
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
For as much rocking, fucking and "other stuff" that he's done, for as long as he's done it, I'd say the guy looks pretty good for his age.

Most rockers do not age well.

D.
AZEX

Well Bruce is EXTREMELY athletic. He is an avid soccer player as well as fencing and other sports. While other rockers his age are wrinkling up and becoming crusty old men, this guy keeps going. Age is a mental thing. I have seen 60 year old men look more physically fit than most 35-40 year olds that I know.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Maiden rules plain and simple.  I think my favorite song is probably Blood Brothers off of Brave New World, I don't know why but that song is just sweet...  I think the best album is Piece of Mind though.  The newest one Dance of Death wasn't half bad either.

Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth are awesome metal albums, I didn't care much for his older ones on whole (they did have some good songs though, but alot of crap too).  CW and AOB are damn solid, top notch albums  though.  Damn near every song on them is awesome.  I hope Dickinson doesn't stop making solo albums....
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Beyond the fact that a good number of the people in the band are highly athletic, Steve Harris(bass player/founder of Iron Maiden) runs a tight ship and wants to keep his band in good health. I bet anyone who tried to be a heavy drug user would find himself kicked out Maiden VERY fast!

Great to see that Bruce is still being well....Metal!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Maiden rules plain and simple.  I think my favorite song is probably Blood Brothers off of Brave New World, I don't know why but that song is just sweet...  I think the best album is Piece of Mind though.  The newest one Dance of Death wasn't half bad either.

You've gotta hear the live version of Blood Brothers off "Rock in Rio." Fuckin' sweet - especially when the crowd starts singing along. That's a cool tune.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Maiden RULES!    I grew up with them, they turned me into the sick bastard I am today.

Almost all the songs on Number of the beast, Piece of mind, Killers, and Aces High kick ass.  They lost me in the last 15 years, but I will check out some of the new stuff.

Trying to choose the best is like trying to pick my favorite gun.  Depends on the situation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I agree. I kind of bailed during the  Blaze Bayley era. When my friend killed himself "Somewhere in Time" was the album out and I was listening to it heavily. So everytime I heard that album, it brought back memories. now I am back to listening to them and got every album I missed in those 15 years.

COOL!!1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top