Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 8:10:06 PM EDT
Last time I talked to that station was 2001.

For anybody that doesn't know. I'm 4F. My eyesight sucks, and I was basically told there was no way on God's green earth I'd ever be in the military. I checked the regulations, all that stuff.

Granted, hordes of people have said "there is a waiver for everything!!!!1". I figured they were insane.

Anyway, so the recruiter called my grandmother's house (where I was in 2001). She gave them my mom's number (I'm at PSU). Apparently he asked a)if I was still interested in serving and b)if I'd had eye surgery.

So, either the recruiter doesn't know what he's talking about or something has changed.  Either way, I'm going to call him tomorrow morning. I'll offer him the same deal I do everybody now. If he can get me into a "combat" job in the Navy, Marine Corps, or Army he can have my sidearm (USP .45).

Anyway, maybe I'll get lucky.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
good luck.

better buy a lochrin.

that way if he gives you a combat job...you can keep the hk.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just tell them you have asthma, and yes, you do take inhalers for it.

If my country ever needs me bad enough to ignore my asthma, I'll be glad to join.
It'll give me acess to some protection from the fallout.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]

If he can get me into a "combat" job in the Navy, Marine Corps, or Army he can have my sidearm (USP .45).

Don't offer to give him anything.  Getting you to enlist is plenty a reward for him.  Instead ask what he can do for you.  I don't know what the deal is nowadays, but maybe you can get them to pay for eye surgery in return for your service, everybody wins.  You get better eye sight, and we get a devoted serviceman.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Im 4f also. Feet, and medical history.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just tell them you have asthma, and yes, you do take inhalers for it.

If my country ever needs me bad enough to ignore my asthma, I'll be glad to join.
It'll give me acess to some protection from the fallout.

+1. I really, really wish I could join, but after just a 1/4 mile run my chest feels like its in a vice.

I had a Navy recruiter call my house over the summer wanting me to sign up. He even offered to come pick me up and take me to the office. I told him I'd love to join, but I don't think they'd let me in due to my asthma. He has never called me back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He has never called me back.

Yeah, that's what makes me think.

They have my medical workup there. They know the score. They haven't called me in 3 years, and then all of a sudden.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Last time I checked, the Army wasn't accepting Lasic surgery patients because a hard hit to the head or intense stress to the retinea can cause a relapse of poor eyesight. However, that is the Army.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#8]
they'll let you in with the old laser eye surgery. PRK I think.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
they'll let you in with the old laser eye surgery. PRK I think.

I've never had eye surgery.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Once you are in, the Navy will perform RK,etc if you want it. Navy docs of course.

My vision is horrible but I made it in with no questions asked. I can't go aircrew or Seals, but the rest of the jobs are open.

Unless you are something like 20/500 or have some eye disease, I think every branch will give you a shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top