Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 3:01:31 PM EDT
Hi all,

I am considering getting a para-ord 1911. Does anyone have one? I really like the idea of a 1911 with 14 round magazine but is the griptoo wide to be comfortable?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi all,

I am considering getting a para-ord 1911. Does anyone have one? I really like the idea of a 1911 with 14 round magazine but is the griptoo wide to be comfortable?

for the record, 1911's do not have double-stack magazines.

Para's are nice guns, if you like cast frames, series-80 internals, and paying for their constant marketing blitz.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a para ord 14-45 and med. sized hands.  Even Hogues weren't too big and the finger grips were nice (took 'em off for holster carry though because it grabbed my shirt).

I love that gun, try each one at the shop (and they even have a single stack compact out now).
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends how big your hands are. Paras are fairly fat.

If you want a 1911 high cap that's a little thinner, look at an STI www.stiguns.com. The cost more but they are in a whole different rhelm of quality and reliability. My Para took well over $100 of work before it was really reliable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have owned two.  I shot one in IPSC for many years and built up another for IDPA.  Both are good guns.  However, I happened to trade a friend back for my original SA 1911 .45 ACP last year.  
I found I shoot the SA  much quicker and more accurately.  All the guns are pretty much equally accurate(have proven so from the bench with sandbags) But I believe   I can grip the single stack much better through the draw and presentation and also control recoil better while shooting.
I have large hands too......  My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry an LDA P 12 every day, i loveit, best gun I have carried.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Top Les baer Premeire II
Bottom Les Baer  Para P-14 SRP

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice to have if you get one that works... I had one and it didn't work for shit (even with 14rd mags.) I've had friends with the same problems. Though I have seen a couple that do work.

Gov't models are meant to have 5" barrels and single stack mags. Got shoot a 2500rd class and see if your gun runs the whole time, not 50rds at the range.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
My family and I have quite a few Paras. I'd love to get one of the P10s (is that the Warthog now?) for carry use. I have an alloy P12 that I carry and a steel P13. A high cap 1911 style (for lack of a better term) is a good thing if reliable.

The turnoff for me currently is the high price of magazines. I started a thread in the Para forum here right around when the AWB expired asking if anyone had seen any high caps for a decent (~$25) price. The answer is still no.

They're good guns IMHO. Serviceable accuracy (it'll put 'em where you want 'em) and reliable when the extractor is replaced. Of course now they put that new power extractor thingie in there so it might have been addressed.

I've had mine for probably 8 years now and my family has had theirs for longer. I think they're very good guns. I have a CCW permit and have no compunctions about carrying one with me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a P14 Limited.

I like it. No problems. About 98% of the ammo through it have been my reloads.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I also own a P-14 Limited.

It's actually my favorite of all the handguns I own.  It's quite accurate right out of the box, it feels good and works perfect.  I highly recommend it.

-Gator
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 1996 vintage P1445 (stainless) and I love it! It's been totally reliable for me - well over 2000 rounds now.  Been thinking of getting another one - probably a black 1445 Limited.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
After having a chance to put a few rounds through an SA 14-45 Stealth   . I went out and ordered one .  

If it ever comes in
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Para 1345...Tac Four.

Nice gun...the LDA trigger is sweet!

The width of the handgrip is a personal thing.  For me it's fine.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Another Tac Four owner here. One of the best pistols I own. I replaced the mag springs with some new Wolf's and have not had a problem yet. I trust it enough to use as my CCW.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#16]
+2 for the Para Limited.
The two that I have owned have had no problems whatsoever using all types of
ammo including cheap lead round-nose reloads.
Yes, magazines are still on the high side but, if given enough time they will drop some.
Many of the new guns were coming with coupons for free hi-caps.
I don't have hands that are that large but, the Para's have always felt right in my hands.
Anyway, even if true 1911's don't hold 14 rounds, I still like 'em and would buy more if
the opportunity presented itself again.  (I got too many other toys on the buy list at the moment)
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a p14-45 limited an have no issues with it.  I have done some things to it over the years.  I have been thinking about selling it, but not because I don't like it or have had problems with it...just need some money
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had a few.  The first started as a standard P1640.  The other two were custom jobs built on Para frames.  I've been happy with all of them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I got to check out a LDA Limited Single Stack...It is a very nice weapon...

I never thought I would be one to think that the LDA Trigger System would be a useful addition to a 1911 handgun. I stand corrected. It is exactly what it claims to be....a Light Double Action. The trigger was buttery smooth and the break crisp as celery..(Sorry I am hungry ). I don't own one but I would not regect one either.

As far as grip size...this one was a single stack. Any Double-Stack is a handfull and for some it positions their finger improperly....You are going to have to try them on for size.

MT
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to have a P14 Limited. Compared to my old STI IPSC gun and the three Kimbers I now have it was an absolute POS. The slide and frame were the only useable components. I think buying a Para is a total crapshoot. You may get a good one but, then again, you may not. Myself and several friends have had similar experiences with them. Have you considered the loaded weight of a full sized, steel framed 1911 loaded with 15 rounds? I'd consider a singlestack (Kimber!) if you're looking for a defensive gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Save your money a little longer and buy one built on an STI/SV frame.    I see Paras choke all the time at IPSC & 3Gun matches.

-z
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I carry an LDA P 12 every day, i loveit, best gun I have carried.

+1. Just keep the inside of the mag bodies clean. Every feed problem I've had has been a bullet-nose hanging up on the inside front edge of the mag body. Otherwise, no problems. There's a lot to be said for having 13 rds of .45 ACP handy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]

I started a thread in the Para forum here right around when the AWB expired asking if anyone had seen any high caps for a decent (~$25) price.

Don't think you are going to see this. They ran $40-$50 well before the ban. Maybe some aftermarkets but not manufacturer produced.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I had some early feed problems with some P13 mags, but the new LE, (formerly known as) function with no problem, a lot more accuratte than my Glocks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a P13 I didn't like much. It took A trip back to the factory and it still didn't run right.
Replaced it with a Springfield doublestack. I like that one much better
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:52:08 AM EDT
[#26]
So what I'm wallking away from this thread with is that the quality can be hit or miss because some people love them and other have had several problems.

So for a high cap .45acp do you think the HK USP .45 would be a beter choice?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#27]
A few weeks ago I was able to try the new Para LTC.  It's a compact 1911 but it was nice.  I was surprised, it felt pretty good, shot good, an no malfunctions.  Even when using surplus ammo and old G.I. mags it worked flawlessly.  I'd get one if I had some extra funds.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So what I'm wallking away from this thread with is that the quality can be hit or miss because some people love them and other have had several problems.

So for a high cap .45acp do you think the HK USP .45 would be a beter choice?

Had one of those (USP .45 Tactical) and liked it too.  I wish I hadn't sold it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't forget the Springfield High Capacity. It uses Para mags and it is single action. I have had mine for about 2 years and it is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. The only thing that I don't like about the double stack 45's, I have big hands, is non-availability of grips.

Justin
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Don't forget the Springfield High Capacity. It uses Para mags and it is single action. I have had mine for about 2 years and it is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. The only thing that I don't like about the double stack 45's, I have big hands, is non-availability of grips.

Justin

Which is another thing that will change as they become more popular now that the ban has passed and you can get 14 round mags.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I've got a P14-45 LDA.

I love it.
The lower is steel rather than aluminum.
The trigger mechanism feels similar to a Glock.
The action of the slide does 90% of the work and that little click of the trigger by your finger does the rest.
Makes for a very accurate pistol
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, I didn't know springfeild made a double stack .45acp, I'll have to check that out
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justin

Which is another thing that will change as they become more popular now that the ban has passed and you can get 14 round mags.

Can you use Springfield mags in Paras? Are they cheaper???

Hook a brother up here! Do they have P13 and P12 size mags?

TIA, sorry to badger.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justin

Can you use Springfield mags in Paras? Are they cheaper???

Hook a brother up here! Do they have P13 and P12 size mags?

TIA, sorry to badger.

I don't know if Springfield mags fit in Paras or Vice versa.

I do know that 14 round mags ARE available again, and that people avoided the double wide .45's because they could only get 10 round mags that were more expensive than the 7 and 8 round single stack models.

Now that there is a difference again, people will look at the double wides- meaning more sales meaning grip makers will make aftermarket grips for them

Jmarkma says they do take Para Ord mags so I would go with what he said.

It makes sense that they would FINALLY standardize on a double wide Mag design that was the big advantage of the single stacks over the double wides in the 1911 style.  ARMSCORS high cap 1911 according to 1911forums.com takes the PO mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top