Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 8:29:33 PM EDT
Ok, we use the term Third World Country all the time. So what is the definition of a second world country? Is it correct to assume the US is a first world country? I need info.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
France
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
1st world: USA and the free world

2nd world: Communist Countries, the terminology was made when there was still a large communist bloc

3rd world: Shitholes
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Russia
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot the exact definitions but it goes somewhat like this (it's been a while since I took International Relations)

1st - High resources and/or Strong economy
2nd - Intermediate between 1st and 2nd (generally in transition, although a move in status rarely occurs)
3rd - Minimal resources, Weak economy, has potential for progress
4th - Intermediate between 3rd and 5th (generally in transition, although a move in status rarely occurs)
5th - No resources, Practically trivial economy, Shows no hope for progress

5th are rare, 2nd and 4th are rarest (the latter being the rarest of the two).

For example:
Turkey is a 2nd
Haiti is a 5th
Although I wish it was true about france, but france is definitely a 1st world country
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, we use the term Third World Country all the time. So what is the definition of a second world country? Is it correct to assume the US is a first world country? I need info.

good question...this "third world" crap gets tossed around more than it should....must sound cool to the media.

there must be a foutrth
fifht
sixth
seventh world country laying around somewhere...

can i get a ARFCOM GROUP BUY?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
There are third world countries and then there are THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES, if you know what I mean....
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
seriously.

lets get a Non-American. grew up in a shithole countries opinion on this.

this "degree" of world stuff has pissed me off since 7th grade.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I never heard of 2nd world countries.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
First World:  USA, Great Britain, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, and their immediate allies.

Second World:  USSR, Peoples Republic of China, North Korea, Warsaw Pact nations, Cuba

Third World:  The countries that the other two worlds didn't want

Steve
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
First World:  USA, Great Britain, Canada, France, Australia, New Zealand, and their immediate allies.

Second World:  USSR, Peoples Republic of China, North Korea, Warsaw Pact nations, Cuba

Third World:  The countries that the other two worlds didn't want

Steve

Actually, by the time this clasification was coined, the 3rd world countries were the  countries the 1st and 2nd world countries fought take them to their side....
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
seriously.

lets get a Non-American. grew up in a shithole countries opinion on this.

this "degree" of world stuff has pissed me off since 7th grade.

It's not that easy... You could say that Argentina is a shitty country, but I can tell you that the city where I live is au pair with NYC, Paris, Rome, in MANY levels...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
As i Understood it a second world country is a DEVELOPING country.  There are 3rd world shitholes N. Korea, most of Africa, Colombia and some other S.American countries.  By developing I mean a reasonable economy ( importing and some exporting ), manufacturing base, centralized credible governments, legal system, and some existing or gorwing ties abroad.  Most third world countries are agrarian based ( still dependant on farming to be self sustaining) or are dependant on others for survival.  Think of the 3rd world as welfare states.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#15]
3rd world nation: Nobody has enough to eat. "Abdul! Go shoot a missionary, I'm starving!"

2nd world nation: Everyone has enough to eat, but nobody likes it. "Airline food again?"

1st world nation: Everyone has more than enough to eat, but will try to deplete the supply single-handedly. "Ooh, Krispy Kreme!"

Or you can look at it this way:

1st world nation: Spends money dropping bombs on third world countries and confiscating their weapons.

2nd world nation: Sells weapons to third world countries and buys them back from first world nations at a discount.

3rd world nation: Economy sky-rockets based on the sale of bomb fragments from first world nations. More weapons are bought, confiscated, and the big boys invade again.

The fourth world nation is the crap hole so pathetic that even the third worlders shun them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
France

you beat me to it...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
1st: Fully industrialized, capitalist economy (ie. US, Western Europe, Japan, etc.)

2nd: Industrialized, communist (or post-communist?) economy (ie. (at least formerly) Russia and eastern Europe)

3rd: Developing, partly industrialized (ie. Latin America, China, etc.)

4th: Undeveloped, minimal industrialization (mostly in sub-Saharan Africa)

Lockdon, that is the first time I have ever heard of a "5th World"; hate to live there...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#18]
All things explained with illustrative examples given:

Old world - Europe, Russia
New World - USA, Canada
Third World - almost the entire African continent
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#19]
a country that is not starving but still hates the USA
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I think that it's 1st World- free states, 2nd world, communist bloc, 3rd world, those that are not supported or satellite states of either combination of countries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top