Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 6:42:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was talking with my in-laws this evening and they want all their drugs for free or little cost.  Drug companies make too damn much money.  We should get them for free, just like the Canadians.  They are greedy.  No one should make money off of drugs.  All they do is get free money from the government to delevop these drugs and then they patent them and make all kinds of money off of them.

I told them, maybe we should just put all the drug companies out of business.  They asked if I ment that the government should take over them.  I said no, just put them out of business.  They are greedy entities and do not deserve to exist.

It got real quiet for a bit.  My father in law has had quint by-pass surgery.  My wifes uncle was there too.  He has bad diabetes.  What would they do without the big drug companies and their miracle inventions?  Sometimes you have to ask yourself, how much is my life worth?  Maybe I shouldn't be pissing and moaning about petty things like money when the alternative is being dead.

Something to think about.

when you get that old and start experiencing health problems, staying alive becomes a priority for some.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have noticed that too. I just think they need to be questioned more, like most liberals.

They need to find better answers to their health problems than drugs. My parents are on 10 different prescriptions and I know some people that are on more.
Mixing all those drugs can't be good.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Did they exercise when they were young?  Did they eat right?  Smoke. drink too much?  I bet your uncle has a nice beer gut to go along with that diabetes.  Its time for people to take responsibility for their own actions.  The future is scary.  When the baby boomers retire, they will outnumber the young that are still working.  Social Security and Medicare will become bankrupt.  Youll hear the outcry then.  What you see and hear now will be nothing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The greedy geezers.
They are willing to saddle their grandchildren, great grandchildren and so on, with the huge debt that socilaized medicine and cradle to grave programs would cost.
As long as they get their freebies and senior discounts at every business, all is well, screw everyone else.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was talking with my in-laws this evening and they want all their drugs for free or little cost.  Drug companies make too damn much money.  We should get them for free, just like the Canadians.  They are greedy.  No one should make money off of drugs.  All they do is get free money from the government to delevop these drugs and then they patent them and make all kinds of money off of them.

I told them, maybe we should just put all the drug companies out of business.  They asked if I ment that the government should take over them.  I said no, just put them out of business.  They are greedy entities and do not deserve to exist.

It got real quiet for a bit.  My father in law has had quint by-pass surgery.  My wifes uncle was there too.  He has bad diabetes.  What would they do without the big drug companies and their miracle inventions?  Sometimes you have to ask yourself, how much is my life worth?  Maybe I shouldn't be pissing and moaning about petty things like money when the alternative is being dead.

Something to think about.

when you get that old and start experiencing health problems, staying alive becomes a priority for some.

What are you willing to pay for your life?  Would you destroy the industry that might just keep you alive someday just to save a buck?  That money doesn't do you much good when you are dead, now does it.

Edit:  These two people I am talking about are not poor by any stretch of the imagination.  They could easily be called wealthy.

oh, don't get me wrong, i hate old people.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My Aunt is spending $900 a month for drugs (90) and another couple we know have aged parents spending over $1000 a month.

When they believe (rightly or wrongly) that they need the drugs (as opposed to excercise and better diet) they become desperate.  Advertising these drugs and marketing them through physicians is a piss poor way to spend health dollars compared to preventive care.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Drug companies make too damn much money.  We should get them for free, just like the Canadians.   They are greedy.  No one should make money off of drugs.  All they do is get free money from the government to delevop these drugs and then they patent them and make all kinds of money off of them.

Back up the truck.  Drugs are a lot of things in Canada, but they ain't free.  Unless you are on welfare, you will pay dearly for your drugs.  Maybe not at the pharmacy, but there is a 15% sales tax on all goods and services plus the highest income tax bracket is 58%, you have provincial and federal income tax and Ontario just instituted a separate Health Care tax.  Are you starting to see a pattern?  You will pay.  Also, many drugs are as expensive as they are in the U.S.  I'm sick and tired of the fucked up liberal media misrepresenting life in Canada.

Quoted:
I was talking with my in-laws this evening and they want all their drugs for free or little cost.

Yeah, and I'd like all of my ammo for little cost or free.

This is the Greatest Generation.  What a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember what happen when Bill Clinton took the profit out vaccines? The result is that we have a flu vaccine shortage, and the sheeple are blaming it on GWB Jr. So do we want to take the profit out of drugs? Keep in mind that many of us baby-boomers are getting up their in age and we be in the same boat.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Aunt is spending $900 a month for drugs (90) and another couple we know have aged parents spending over $1000 a month.

When they believe (rightly or wrongly) that they need the drugs (as opposed to excercise and better diet) they become desperate.  Advertising these drugs and marketing them through physicians is a piss poor way to spend health dollars compared to preventive care.

So you think we should shut down the drug companies?  No more marketing and advertising.

The fact was that they weren't allowed to market at one time, just like hard liquor.  But my poorly made point is that it's counterproductive to increase the cost of drugs through advertising while at the same time making them more and more an entitlement.  This is a false market that has nothing to do with supply and demand.

ETA, it's already a pretty strange market when costs vary so widely all over the world for the same items and we are the ones paying the highest prices.

This reminds me of the government mentality where we subsidize tobacco growers and then sue manufacturers of tobacco products for health  care costs.  Just doesn't make sense
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
When our time is up, our time is up. Health care is not a right, and we have no moral obligation to collectively support someone's lifetime of unhealthy neglect.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
People in their mid 70's are NOT boomers.  They come closer to being NEW DEAL and FDR.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Both are in their mid 70's.

I really think this is a boomer generation issue.  I want mine and to hell with everyone else.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you aren't planning now for being able to afford to stay alive then, then it will be nobody's fault but yours.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you think we should shut down the drug companies?  No more marketing and advertising.

The fact was that they weren't allowed to market at one time, just like hard liquor.  But my poorly made point is that it's counterproductive to increase the cost of drugs through advertising while at the same time making them more and more an entitlement.  This is a false market that has nothing to do with supply and demand.

The drug companies don't want to make their products and entitlement.  If that happens, the US government will say they will only pay X amount for the drugs (just like Canada) and the profit in pharmaceticals disappears.  No profit, no reason to innovate.  Companies exist to make a profit.  Governments exist to do what?

Well, that will be an interesting battle for drug companies to market their drugs and also convince people to keep the government out of things, all the while US citizens are paying the highest prices, which ironically may be in their best interests.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
It's not so much that older folks are intentionally selfish.  They just tend to get wrapped up in their own little world's.  They worry about thier medication because it may or may not make them feel better, but it may keep them alive, alert/sane, bloddpressure down etc depending on what the meds are for.  My father is 84 and my mother is 72, they worry about what effects them personally. They are aware of the events going on around them, and are concerned about events like politics, crime, and education for children like my daughter, but that all comes second after, the daily dose of meds, what's for breakfast, lunch and dinner, what doctor do I see today, and the refriderator repair man is coming at 10:00 am.  My dad had triple by pass surgery last year, and he has his own pharmacy in the bathroom.  He doesn't like many of the meds he takes, because they make him feel "dopey", but they keep him going.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Why are so many Senior Citizens so selfish?  

Maybe it's because they have spent their entire lives working their fingers to the bone so that their families and nation could have things better. Now that they are old and sick, they want the respect and care that they feel they have earned through a lifetime of service to others.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
That's why I like the motto: "Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse"

Sorry if that's morbid or if that offends, but it does suck to get old.  I work in an environment where the predominate group of patients are geriatric, and some of these people are on so many drugs that I think they will be preserved for at least a millenia after they die (or be a zombie ).  Three years on this job, and I've learned the error of my ways.  I've exercised more in the last 6 months than I've ever in my life.  I feel fitter and can run/swim/play racquetball much longer, and at a higher intensity.  I think the main issue is that people are so busy keeping up with the Joneses that they don't take the time to take care of themselves, and when the time comes, they try mighty hard to buy back that youth, which they can't, so the money is spent on the drugs.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Like many in society they lack good morals. It's just something that happens. When they become hungry they steal food, sick they steal medicine. Demonizing the owner of the goods is just a tool used to make the theft more easily acceptable, rationalizing what they know to be incorrect behavior.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Maybe it's because they have spent their entire lives working their fingers to the bone so that their families and nation could have things better. Now that they are old and sick, they want the respect and care that they feel they have earned through a lifetime of service to others.

Just a thought.

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
 Will the US Government take over drug research?  That is a truly frightening thought...

Proposition 71 in CA

Stem-cell research bonds, $3 billion and a California Institute for Regenerative Medicine.  Should I say yea or nay?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Just a thought.

What about the other 90%?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just a thought.

Sorry buddy, but I have to agree with others, the oldsters these days are selfish and greedy.

We know that senior citizens control a large portion of the nation’s wealth. And they act like they still don't have enough money!

Case in point: Don't you read or watch reports of the the con artists and hucksters that have worked their schemes on some senior citizen? When you follow the story, the olde lady or gentleman has pissed away, $50k, $80k, $100,00 dollars on some get-rich scheme.

Hell, I don't even have the amount of money they threw away trying to get richer!
See, con artists prey on an individual's simple greed. And these old peeps are just that - greedy!

On the NBC Nightly news, there was some old bitty that had spent $80k of her $300,000 nest egg on some Canadian Lottery" scam.  This bitty had a liquid assets that were greater then most of our total assets, AND IT STILL WASN'T ENOUGH FOR HER!  So she fell victim to greed.

No, I've had it with the insular, petty, greedy lives of the majority of these whinning oldsters.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I have no problem with being frugal.  I work in a tire shop and have customers come in and want to try and 'deal' on tires.  I've sent many people walking when they try and say they can get it cheaper two blocks down the street.  But when an old cooter walks into my work and bitches about paying $248 for a set of tires, he thinks he shouldnt have to pay to get them balanced ($20), etc.  Now, I'll freely admit I have wandering eyes...said cooter had over $60,000 in the bank according to his checkbook register.  That just irritates me to no end.  If you've got enough money to 'invest' 20,000 in a scam, I think you've got enough to go talk to an actual no shit banker or something along those lines to make your money grow.  Not buy a fake-ass lottery ticket and then cry on the news because you've lost $20,000 and now you have to eat cat food because the other $80,000 is required to pay for your new cadillac and the motorhome needs some motor work.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Living in FL, I can't tell you how many fucking times I have heard "I'm on a fixed income!" GRR that pisses me off!

Guess what you old bag, I'm on a fucking fixed income too!   I make the same from one week to the next!

You can't even get near the post office on the 3rd of each month, due to the SS checks!

I have had old farts argue over a PENNY!!!!   ONE PENNY!!!  That my company and I RIPPED them off because they had to pay tax on items.... Guess what!  The state controls that

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#35]
While there are needy seniors, there are needy people of all ages.
The greedy geezers I see the most here all have money, cars, houses, morohomes and still want senior discounts and free everything.  They take trips, golf 3-4 days a week and keep buffets in business.  Hey they worked and earned their money, fine, but don't expect me, my kids, or my future grandkids to pay for your needs when you can afford to do it yourself.
On the public tit is on the public tit, whether a welfare rat with twelve kids, illegals or greedy geezers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Proposition 71 in CA
Stem-cell research bonds, $3 billion and a California Institute for Regenerative Medicine.  Should I say yea or nay?

Against.  If embryonic stem cells work so well why aren't private investors plowing money into the technology??  

I am especially against destroying and cloning human embryos.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top