Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 11:59:20 AM EDT
I see people posting once in a while around here about their new CMP, sometimes accompanied with pics of rifles wrapped in bags o' grease.

What's the deal?  I wanna be in the know.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Step 1: ODCMP

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Shoot it!

Basically, you are buying a surplus rifle from the government.  They have M1 Garands and M1903 Springfields. You can also go to the store (Camp Perry Ohio), and have a look. Good stuff, and a good way of getting a M1 Garand. (if you don't feel like spending a grand for a new one)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are a good boy the US Government will send you a hi powered rifle in the mail.  
I have 3 rifles from them and several thousands rounds of 3006.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
What's a good shooter to order? I don't want a safe queen but I don't want a rough-shod POS either.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What's a good shooter to order? I don't want a safe queen but I don't want a rough-shod POS either.

'Service Grade' anything. Wide variation in condition and parts-matching. $495 (iirc).

EDIT - and you AREN'T going to get a 'safe queen' from the CMP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Stick with the SA Service grade.  I have a 6-45 dated and a 8-54 dated SA and they shoot great.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Basically, if you have $500 + shipping, are a member of a 'CMP affiliated club,' and at least one of the following you can get your own real USGI Garand:

1) C&R FFL
2) FFL
3) Have taken part in a shooting competition and have proof
4) Have shot at least 50 rounds at a range and have proof (e.g. Range Officer signs a statement)
5) Have been in a marksmanship clinic

I know there are more ways to qualify than the 1-5 I listed. Check out their site for more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
CMP= best gunshop in the country bar none!

If you want a good shooter get a Service Grade Springfield (SA).  You'll most likely end up with a post war (WW2 or Korean) rebuild rifle that will have character (i.e. dents and dings in the stock) and it will shoot great.  If you have any trouble with it, the CMP will bend over backwards to make your rifle function.  There is NO risk buying from them.  You'll spend $520.95 and it will be delivered to your door via the BWT (big White Truck aka Fed Ex).  There are other rifles available ie Harrington &Richardson (HRA), International Harvester (IHC), and Winchester (WRA).  If you want one cheaper, go for the Rack grade, but be aware that the rifle will have more wear and tear, but should still function fine.  They also have Greek returns that are cheaper yet, but I have not heard much about them, and I think the Danish are gone now.  

Echap

Edit to add:

I have three Service grades from them:
1954  Springfiield, that has a 1954 barrel, that used to be brand new
1945 Winchester, that has a 1946 SA barrel , has a WRA hammer, and WRA trigger guard
1954 International Harvester, (1965 rebuild) (4 million Gap Letter receiver)

Every rifle you get from them will have lot's of history.  Try it, you'll be hooked

If you think that black rifle disease is bad, Garanditis is worse!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a service grade Harrington & Richardson last year and placed 52nd overall at the National Garand Match at Camp Perry this summer.

Rifle ain't much to look at, but shoots like a house on fire.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up an Awesome Greek rack grade for $295.  Beautiful rifle and shoots great.  Mismatched stock that's a little dinged up but that's ok.  

If sKerry gets elected though, his first order of busniess on the gun control front may be to shut down the CMP.  I understand he has voted to do this in the past.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top