Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 8:33:28 PM EDT
1. When you take your gun in for repairs, tell your gunsmith you have a hobbyist friend who’s been doing your work for free, but now you are in a hurry and want him to do it.

2. Don’t wait for and answer. Walk right over to his bench, plop your gun down in the middle of whatever he is doing and announce you’ll hang around while he is doing your gun and watch. Lean over his shoulder and breathe down his neck when so doing.

3. Observe that isn’t the way you read in Hammerstein Pinbuster’s book as being the way to do that job. Go into great detail about Hammerstein’s advice and use words “I read” with each new breath.

4. If other customers are around, tell them of the high quality of work your hobby friend does for free and hint, slyly, that if they’re smart they’ll look him up.

5. About now your gunsmith’s screwdriver will slip, so tell him how much better your screwdrivers are than his. Matter of fact, pick up all his tools and examine them critically. Open up all the drawers and poke around. He’s working for you isn’t he?

6. Should he still ignore your overtures to friendship, go over to the “Completed Work” rack and handle all the guns there by the metal. Comment clearly and distinctly on what you think of guy’s who own guns like that. Ha! Ha!

7. Still failing to get deserved attention, open the actions of each one and slam them shut. Somebody should test the gunsmith’s work so you might proof test some of the double barrel actions for him. Hold the stock with both hands, and with a terrific downward snap, see if you can snap them shut.

8. While waiting around, impress everyone with your ability to handle pistols. You’ll find some on the shelf above his bench. Don’t spoil the finish by opening them up to see if they are loaded or not. Just point them at people and things around the shop and dry fire. If the pull or the sights aren’t right, for heavens sakes, say so…

9. If your work isn’t done by now start hollering…

10. When you pick your self up off the pavement out in front of his shop, don’t be too hard on the guy… Probably too touchy to work for you anyhow!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
LoL
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Hehehehehe your evil.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
   You have some great stories.

The only reason I go to a gunsmith is so you can fix the shit I try to fix myself.  

Just kidding, but it is ONE of the reasons I go.

PS... edited.. call incoming.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What's really disturbing is the tremendous number of Class II FFL's that call themselves gunsmiths buy are really unskilled hacks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
   You have some great stories.

The only reason I go to a gunsmith is so you can fix the shit I try to fix myself.  

Just kidding, but it is ONE of the reasons I go.

PS... I made up my mind (finally):  Order and install me a Holland Brake, Okay?  Lets forget the sleeve this time around.

You want me to get the 20moa one piece base? Devcon the action to the stock?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Yah you should try that with Rodger. You'd be dog food. before you got to #2.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's really disturbing is the tremendous number of Class II FFL's that call themselves gunsmiths buy are really unskilled hacks.

Yes very true sir! I do a LOT of thoses repairs(fixing of pre jacked up fixes).
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Ask him if he has any blue loctite that you can use for mounting optics and such, then cringe as he rudely admonishes you with "I hate loctite and I hate people who use loctite on their guns".  He'll then ask if you mind him taking a torch to your weapon to free up the loctite.  Politely say "no", then go to the local hardware store and get some blue loctite to make sure your rails and such don't come loose under any circumstances!  I'm a relative newbie to all this, but I like to use blue loctite on my optics and rails.  I haven't had any problems removing the screws afterward, but this particular gunsmith really flipped out when I mentinoned the "L" word.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"PS... I made up my mind (finally):  Order and install me a Holland Brake, Okay?  Lets forget the sleeve this time around."

You want me to get the 20moa one piece base? Devcon the action to the stock?

The stock.... crap.  I was going to put the original stock back on it, but I just handled it and remembered why I dislike it.  Go ahead and do your magic on the ugly stock.  It'll works fine.

Looked at the clock.  I'll call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Naked80.
LOL I had a customer bring in a bolt gun with a LIVE stuck round. It also had a wooden dowel that had been jammed and broken off in the bore. The rifle was a 300 Win mag. The round I found stuck in the chamber after removing the barrel was a 300 Wby mag. I mentioned this to the customer when he came in to pick it up. I guess he’s been substituting the Wby rounds for the Winchester. EEEEKKKKKKKK!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ask him if he has any blue loctite that you can use for mounting optics and such, then cringe as he rudely admonishes you with "I hate loctite and I hate people who use loctite on their guns".  He'll then ask if you mind him taking a torch to your weapon to free up the loctite.  Politely say "no", then go to the local hardware store and get some blue loctite to make sure your rails and such don't come loose under any circumstances!  I'm a relative newbie to all this, but I like to use blue loctite on my optics and rails.  I haven't had any problems removing the screws afterward, but this particular gunsmith really flipped out when I mentinoned the "L" word.  

NOOOOOO... Use super fine valve grinding compound. It holds but releses easly under screw driver pressure.  But if a customer asks for The L stuff I put it on.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:28:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump for the morning crew.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#17]
You must be a gunsmith, McNasty...

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm afraid I would be guilty of the "look over my shoulder" part.

I love to learn, and I love watching professionals working. I would, however, ASK if it's OK, first!

Then again, I never ask when I take the car in for service.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Add this to the list...

I tried to clean this last night at the kitchen table. <idiot opens plastic Dokosil gun case with a rifle in 3 pieces & zip lock bag of parts> "One of the springs went flying and I can't find it." Finish cleaning it & put it back together.  I need it by Saturday, it's opening day ya know.  

THEN said idiot asks "Why is your ammo so high priced? I can buy it cheaper over the internet"
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Add this to the list...

I tried to clean this last night at the kitchen table. <idiot opens plastic Dokosil gun case with a rifle in 3 pieces & zip lock bag of parts> "One of the springs went flying and I can't find it." Finish cleaning it & put it back together.  I need it by Saturday, it's opening day ya know.  

THEN said idiot asks "Why is your ammo so high priced? I can buy it cheaper over the internet"

OOOOO a body bag. I just love body bags! And of courese they bring it in on Friday..
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Fat, can I use 22LR in my .22 Magnum :p lol
Did you come up with that stuff?

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey Fat, can I use 22LR in my .22 Magnum :p lol

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top