Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 7:07:32 PM EDT
I signed up with Kazaalite' subscriber service and got the WinMX program in the download.

To be honest, I've grabbed a few things but it is in no way as user friendly, fast, or reliable as the original Kazaalite.

What in the heck do I have?  Is WinMX the actual Kazaalite interface right now, or do I have some bastardized version of the program?

I'm not adverse to paying a bit for tunes that I download, so if anyone has any better suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if the two P2P programs are related. I have almost exclusively used WinMX in the past, with mixed results. You can customize the shit out of your file selections and searches, but often the search returns are not so good.

I'm definately looking for a new file sharing program, but just been out of that loop for a while. I'd love some recomendations myself. No spyware/advertising, and lots of users/files. Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I like WinMx 100,000,000 X more than Kazaa. Kazaa costs money, WinMX doesn't. Music companies distribute all those "digitally scratched" files to keep downloads of new songs to a minimum. Although you sacrifice some bandwidth with WinMX you also don't suffer from all the Pop-Ups and pervasive programs that Kazaa is so apt to share. All around, WinMx is better :0)   .

However, if you are serious about file-sharing... I love Bit-Torrent... learn about it here : Place to Learn About Stuff That Does Stuff With Stuff and Some Pooperlicious Stuff
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like WinMx 100,000,000 X more than Kazaa. Kazaa costs money, WinMX doesn't. Music companies distribute all those "digitally scratched" files to keep downloads of new songs to a minimum. Although you sacrifice some bandwidth with WinMX you also don't suffer from all the Pop-Ups and pervasive programs that Kazaa is so apt to share. All around, WinMx is better :0)   .

I was using the older Kazaalite, which didn't have popups or spyware.  That had a lot nicer interface and more reliable downloading (see below).

However, if you are serious about file-sharing... I love Bit-Torrent... learn about it here : Place to Learn About Stuff That Does Stuff With Stuff and Some Pooperlicious Stuff

Thanks.  I'll check it out.

Quoted:
I've been using WinMX for a couple of years with great sucess.

Start with the networks tab and select any user name you want - you can change it at any time and there is no registration required.

Click on the shared files tab and share some stuff to the community. Pictures of your guns and stuff - not your C;\ root drive.

Click on the search tab. Where it says artist and/or title type anything you're looking for like "Tales of the Gun M-16". Now right under there click on the button that defaults to MP3 Audio - Any Bitrate and change it to Video. Now click the big button labeled search - wait and you'll get hits. Look for someone with a short que in the status/server window and someone close in the speed area. Double click on their name and then go to the transfers tab.

You'll see your files in the bottom being downloaded by someone else and the ones your requesting up top along with their status.

Maybe I haven't been using WinMX to it's full capacity.

My biggest beef with it is that after finding a bunch of search results, I click on some of the results for download and they rarely work.  I don't know why, but it searches for the connection, then waits for the link, etc.  And I've taken my firewall down with WinMX so that isn't interfering.

A few nights ago I spend probably an hour searching for 3 songs.  I found search results for each, but after trying multiple downloads from different users I only managed to snag one of the songs.

Paul -- does your method described above give more reliable downloads?  It seems like you're really checking out which users are online and available for download.

Oh, and one more thing.  Because I paid a subscription fee for WinMX, does that mean things are kosher legally?  (Do I really want to know the answer to that question....)  I presumed that it did.

Thanks everyone.

Corey
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Emule.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Try LIME WIRE
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh, and one more thing.  Because I paid a subscription fee for WinMX, does that mean things are kosher legally?  (Do I really want to know the answer to that question....)  I presumed that it did.

Thanks everyone.

Corey

WinMX is free. Anyone can download it for free, no subscription required. If you got it bundled with something else, then it's just a bonus.WinMX Homepage........................

What I like about it is that privacy is a priority with the developers of WinMX. What I also like is that any file format you can think of is highly searchable. Video, .exe's, audio, graphics...whatever you want. One good thing/bad thing is that the interface allows an INCREDIBLE amout of tweaking in terms of user settings. Good, because choices are good, bad because it's amazingly involved and I have never been able to fully understand what I should be setting all the features at. As a result, the functionality of WinMX suffers from very mixed results.

I think WinMX has the potential to be a great P2P product, but it's incredibly complicated options and settings will likely prevent the average user from ever fully understanding it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Even if you pay for Kazaa, you still are not in the clear legally, you are just paying for that program, not the songs.
Now that we have that out of the way, K-lite++ is the old free version of kazaa. WinMX isn't bad, but I don't use it much. According to what I have read, E-Donkey, Emule and Bittorrent are the new wave in downloading.
I myself use ARES, it works just like kazaa, but I haven't gotten a bad download yet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, I'm giving emule a shot (thanks for your suggestions).

I've got about 7 files waiting for transfer but all of them are ... well ... waiting.

That was one of the nice things about Napster.  All the sources it found were available.

How do I tell whether the sources emule finds are currently available?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Try LIME WIRE

+1 I use this along with Kazaa 2.0 and its way more user friendly than Kazaa.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Shareaza or DC++.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top