Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 7:00:13 PM EDT
Optional title, "A funny thing happened on the way to the airport today"

First a little background. The local gang bangers have been getting uppity the last couple of weeks and numerous reports of shots fired in and around residences. I even chased (by aircraft) one vehicle (low rider Honda Civic) firing shots in the air in front of a rival's residence.

I live a little over a mile from the airport and often walk to work. Some new houses have been built on our rural (county) residential street and as always happens one house has a couple of dogs that charge the fence when you walk by. These dogs are 1)a small grey border collie (the alpha) 2) A large 100lb fuzzy sheep dog of some kind. They are always mute and still when the owners are home but walk through the gate and into the driveway when they are away.

Over the months since the house was built the dogs have slowly expanded their territory to include the neighbor's trash cans and the property in front of the house including the street. Up until yesterday they only barked and retreated. Today was different.

As I walked toward the place I had my .357 mag S&W 340PD in a tiny pack on my belt with the top zipper open as dogs in other parts of the neighbor hood have given me trouble in times past. I saw the big fuzzy mutt curled up a yard away from his precious trash cans in the ajoining neighbor's driveway. All was well until the little grey dog charged from inside the fence. From his rest the big mutt obeyed the little dog like a minion and charged me stopping 8-10 feet away. I talked sternly to the dog as had worked the day before and seemed to be working today. As I inched passed and away the small little shit dog charged the fence again and the big mutt obeyed with an advance and a snarl.

I had had enough. I drew my revolver already in my hand, quickly drew a bead on the ground between the dog and myself and fired into the dirt beside the road. As I had hoped would happen the big mutt spun 180 and was still running as I resumed my trip.

Some caring couple in a black s-10 had slowed as they passed at the onset of this encounter when they saw the standoff from the safety of their truck. They were kind enough to phone the county sherriff and provide location and direction of travel (punk ass kids). I got to the airport and unchained the airplane. I fired up the cop radio in the aircraft and before I could call county dispatch I had to wait for rabid radio traffic concerning Shots fired. I told the dispatcher that (designator) was the subject of the search and a deputy could talk to me at the airport about the matter. The dispatcher returned that the subject was at the airport. I responded that I WAS the subject and had been charged by a dog while walking to the airport. "Unit XXX you can disregard."

Tomorrow I get to add my remarks to the report. I am so glad that the nice couple driving by was so concerned for my the dog's safety and called it in! Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No smart alleck comments about a volunteer police pilot just scaring off the dog?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope... works for me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No smart alleck comments about a volunteer police pilot just scaring off the dog?

You can't be the real deal til you learn to shoot them

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey he's working up to it ok?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was the comment I was looking for!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Well there is always tomorrow to get another chance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well there is always tomorrow to get another chance.

use a taser,,,  bbq mutt!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Tagged for the jokes to come.....

Funny story at any rate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The big fuzzy dogs make great throw rugs for the station.  Or in you case, hangar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Aw man....A LEO (type) shooting...with a dog involved...anf the dog lived?

WTF? I feel cheated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Just tote a can of O.C. with you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1!

A pretender to the throne until the deed is consumated.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:20:37 AM EDT
[#13]
you'll never be SWAT...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
you'll never be SWAT...

SWAT dudes love animals, havent you seen the picture of some SWAT guys petting a cat?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Dude, there are gangbangers in IDAHO???  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well, they think so, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:51:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, they think so, anyway.

do they use potato guns?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top