Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 2:00:54 PM EDT
Have been to one of the 10 reflections|projections ACM conferences at UIUC?

This years was pretty cool....amongst others I talked to, I got to meet and chat with Phil Zimmerman (you know, the PGP creator that thumbed his nose at the .gov for a 3 year investigation during the clintonista years and managed to avoid having his house burned down).

Also got to meet and chat with the guy who co-founded the company behind the water taking over NYC in "the day after tomorrow" as well as the bigassed tower in the last LOTR movie falling down (that involved a 1.5million+ rigid body simulation, amongst other things in order to pull the shot off).

And for those who remember the good old days when an entire doom level could be created in a few hours of work, complete with texures and scripts.....I got to meet Levelord....ended up with an autographed copy of Duke Nukem 3D which was hellacool since the levels I really like were the ones he designed.

Oh, and UMR took 2nd and 3rd places in the 24-hour "create an AI to play a game we've made up" competition.  Our third team (the one I was on) unfortunetly fell to infighting amongst the three of us as to which way was the best way to do things, combined with a desire to go see some of the presentations, and ended up not placing.  But we had more fun than the other two teams.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Err, what? Computer geek?

If you're looking for a good sig, how about, "With C++ you really can compare apples to oranges."
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Duke Nukem!!!!
DN3D rocked!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I was at AT&T labs in Morristown several years ago for an all day meeting with some of their scientists to talk about one of their products.  We met in small room right down the hall from Bjorne Stroustrup's office (which I thought was rather tiny considering who he was - he had alot of C++ stuff pasted to the door).

Later while we were at lunch, three guys walked into the lunch room together.  One of the people I was was with said "that's Bjorne with David Korn and (name escapes me) who was the architect of AT&T's network".  I remember two of them looking like refugees from the 1960's; jeans, beards and long hair.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Err, what? Computer geek?

If you're looking for a good sig, how about, "With C++ you really can compare apples to oranges."

if(!apples.operator<(oranges[j]) && !oranges[j].operator<(apples)) cout << "apples and oranges are the same!" << endl
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Bjorne should be taken out and shot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This years was pretty cool....amongst others I talked to, I got to meet and chat with Phil Zimmerman (you know, the PGP creator that thumbed his nose at the .gov for a 3 year investigation during the clintonista years and managed to avoid having his house burned down).

Yeah...Phil Zimmerman is one smart dude...a friend and I had lunch with him at the Sahara (Defcon II) back in 1994... guy...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Also got to meet and chat with the guy who co-founded the company behind the water taking over NYC in "the day after tomorrow" as well as the bigassed tower in the last LOTR movie falling down (that involved a 1.5million+ rigid body simulation, amongst other things in order to pull the shot off).

And for those who remember the good old days when an entire doom level could be created in a few hours of work, complete with texures and scripts.....I got to meet Levelord....ended up with an autographed copy of Duke Nukem 3D which was hellacool since the levels I really like were the ones he designed.

Oh, and UMR took 2nd and 3rd places in the 24-hour "create an AI to play a game we've made up" competition.  Our third team (the one I was on) unfortunetly fell to infighting amongst the three of us as to which way was the best way to do things, combined with a desire to go see some of the presentations, and ended up not placing.  But we had more fun than the other two teams.

I believe it was Bharad-Dur...and I ENVY you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe it was Bharad-Dur...and I ENVY you.

That would be the tower.....I never read the books and therefore never knew what the thing was called.    BTW, his company is Tweak Films
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top