Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 7:16:22 PM EDT
Whats your opinion?  I'm a firm believer that its your life and if you want to end it thats fine as long as you don't have anyone depend on you (ie kids or elderly people you need to look over)
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP

In before the poll
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTP

In before the poll

Thats a new one
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I can think of a number of people I'd like to help - but I'm not sure they TECHNICALLY want to die yet
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
No, left to have a heart attack when W is reelected.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
People who are terminally ill or in intractable pain from cancer or the like should have the option of ending their life on their own terms, peacefully and with dignity.  Either that, or legalize heroin for terminally ill people...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, people have a right to die............if they want to.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The government should repeal the right to die, in my opinion.  You would have to live for a long, long time paying taxes the whole way.  That would go a long way towards paying off the national debt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The government should repeal the right to die, in my opinion.  You would have to live for a long, long time paying taxes the whole way.  That would go a long way towards paying off the national debt.

This is a joke I hope?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
It promotes the idea that people that are old/infirm are less human than the rest of society. It opens too many doors to me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]
People should have total control over themselves, including a right to kill themselves.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If elected, Kerry will push for a law banning death...you see, Kerry has a PLAN...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can think of a number of people I'd like to help - but I'm not sure they TECHNICALLY want to die yet

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an opinion on this but I guarantee it's the least popular on the board.....so I'll just keep it to myself.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
There is no right to die and there is no right to live.

You can kill yourself if you want but it ain’t a right, it is a choice one makes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
For those who voted that its wrong no matter what, I ask this, if you suffered horrible pain everyday and were nothing but a massive financial drain on your family with no hope for the future, would you still want to live?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have an opinion on this but I guarantee it's the least popular on the board.....so I'll just keep it to myself.

Please don't.

The Right to Die=suicide.  Which is a sin, so you will burn in hell if you are a Christian believer.  If you are not a believer then you are just making a stupid choice.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please don't.

The Right to Die=suicide.  Which is a sin, so you will burn in hell if you are a Christian believer.  If you are not a believer then you are just making a stupid choice.

SGat1r5

Only if there is a God and an afterlife...and so far there has been ZERO verifiable, objective evidence for either...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For those who voted that its wrong no matter what, I ask this, if you suffered horrible pain everyday and were nothing but a massive financial drain on your family with no hope for the future, would you still want to live?

Well, as a man that has had daily chronic pain for the last 5 years I can say YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Financial drain??

I think my kids and wife would prefer to actually having a dad over money any fucking day of the wqeek.

And usually people that suffer from severe pain and illness are NOT in their right minds to make medical desiciomns.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#19]
You already have it. If you go to the Dr. and he tells you that you will die if you do not do this or that, he can't make you do that or this. One of my Grandfathers had COPD, and after my Grandmother died, he told the nurses, NO MORE MEDS! He then died 3 days later.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Where is the selection for the right to let a cat or two die?  Hell, lil fluffy is just like some folks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There is no right to die and there is no right to live.

You can kill yourself if you want but it ain’t a right, it is a choice one makes.

No right to live?  If that is the case, then murder should not be a crime. After all, they didn't have a right to live anyway.

Yes, you have a right to die. So long as you don't involve ANYONE else in your decision.  You do not have the right to throw yourself in front of a bus, for example, and force the driver to live with such a horrible memory. Not to mention destroying someone elses property.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I think killing yourself for no good reason is a sin.

I have no problems with people who die to save someone else, or if someone is already terminally ill and in horrible pain.

But I think people who kill themselves just because they have "problems" are fucktards.

All that being said its thier life, and thier choice, I'm not going to try to stop them, althought I reserver the right ot badmouth them after they are dead.

Kurt Cobain = a stupid fucking heroin using dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't think the government should be involved. The guy can deal with his religious beliefs how he wants. If he still wants to do it, why should the government stop him? I don't want the government trying to save my soul.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
people that suffer from severe pain and illness are NOT in their right minds to make medical desiciomns.

thats BS, a persons life is their own property.  A doctor could say that the want to die is a sign of illness itself therefore declaring that your to incompetent to make the choice so therefore you have no rights.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#25]
"...don't be a dork again, call Dr. Kavorkian..."

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
people that suffer from severe pain and illness are NOT in their right minds to make medical decisions.

thats BS, a persons life is their own property.  A doctor could say that the want to die is a sign of illness itself therefore declaring that your to incompetent to make the choice so therefore you have no rights.

No one that chooses to kill themselves is ever in their right mind, so the Doctor would be 100% correct.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#27]
It's your Life!  I just got to do  the paper work.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I will say this about that.

Soon after giving you the "right" to choose your own life or death, then that "right" will be given to your relatives, and not far behind them is some court system somewhere.

No thanks.

Only God chooses when I die.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Soon after giving you the "right" to choose your own life or death, then that "right" will be given to your relatives, and not far behind them is some court system somewhere.

No thanks.

I knew I could count on you.

+1

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
people that suffer from severe pain and illness are NOT in their right minds to make medical decisions.

No one that chooses to kill themselves is ever in their right mind, so the Doctor would be 100% correct.

SGatr15

A doctor could also say the desire to carry a handgun or own guns with a capacity of 30 rounds is a sign of paranoia, therefore you have no right owning a gun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No thanks.

but should your beliefs get in the way of the "non believers"?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#32]
It's your life, do what you want.  Me?  No thanks, I'm not evil!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No thanks.

but should your beliefs get in the way of the "non believers"?

I did not say anythig about what YOU do with your life.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
A doctor could also say the desire to carry a handgun or own guns with a capacity of 30 rounds is a sign of paranoia, therefore you have no right owning a gun.

Do you have a valid comparison?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a valid comparison?

SGatr15

A few liberals I know believe that owning "evil guns" is a sign of mentall illness and therefore would want some gun owners institutionalized.  If these folks ever became doctors they would then have the power to declare arfcommers to be insane, therefore stripping away any rights you had.  If you complained no one would listen to you, afterall you would be considered mentally ill and no one would listen to someone with that title.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Ohh yea who was that member from England who said the local constable could deny your right to own firearms depending on your character?  Your "character" could be defined by anything, long hair? your a pot smoking hippy who shouldn't own a gun, two toned hair? your a no good hooligan who must be up to trouble, believe full autos should be legalized? your a psychotic gun nut with deep rooted mental issues therefore you should have no firearms, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Still not a valid comparrison.

How about this:  A doctor desides your life isn't worth saving so you won't get operated on, hense you have to choose a life of pain or you can kill yourself.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Most life insurance policies will not pay on a suicide
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Still not a valid comparrison.

How about this:  A doctor desides your life isn't worth saving so you won't get operated on, hense you have to choose a life of pain or you can kill yourself.

Sgatr15

I'd kill myself, afterall whats the point of living if everyday is just another painfull moment.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Most life insurance policies will not pay on a suicide

If there isn't anyone financially dependent one you life insurance isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Pro choice, need I say more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top