Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 3:42:40 PM EDT
to get a new gun into the house?

"Frank doesn't know a lot about guns. He said he wanted me to bring this one home and clean it and check to be sure all the parts are there and it functions properly. I really couldn't say no." Every word, of course, being true? My preferred method is to either ensure that it is first seen coming out of the locker or coming out of the car on a return trip from the range, so no questions are asked.

Have you used any of these? Do you have a better one?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used that excuse before.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

"Frank doesn't know a lot about guns. He said he wanted me to bring this one home and clean it and check to be sure all the parts are there and it functions properly. I really couldn't say no." Every word, of course, being true? My preferred method is to either ensure that it is first seen coming out of the locker or coming out of the car on a return trip from the range, so no questions are asked.

The women don't wear the pants in my family.

If I want to buy a new gun, ... I buy it.

Period!

If she doesn't like it, she can hit the door.

I am not pussywhipped like some of you.

(I am divorced of course)  

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I use this meathod.

Honey, I bought a new gun.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, getting it in the safe before she scopes it out is key. If she sees me taking it out of the safe I say, " aww yeah, had this one for a while...you know hun they all look alike.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I use this meathod.

SGtar15

Is a meathod a pole-mounted meat-carrier, or a pole-mounted mortar-carrier made of meat?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually use this one:

"Hey baby, look I got a new gun."

Then she usually checkis it out, sees that it makes me happy and goes back to whatever she was doing. She's pretty laid back about that kind of shit. I'm also not too hard core though. I usually only spend between 1 and 3 grand a year on guns at most. Sometimes not even that. But everybody's happy, so it works.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I use this meathod.

SGtar15

Is a meathod a pole-mounted meat-carrier, or a pole-mounted mortar-carrier made of meat?

I wha a hut?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
i just buy glocks.. they all look the same

J
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I use this meathod.
SGtar15

I wha a hut?
Sgtar15

hod

\Hod\, n. [Prov. E. for hold, i. e., that which holds. See Hold.] 1. A kind of wooden tray with a handle, borne on the shoulder, for carrying mortar, brick, etc.

I use subterfuge because I'd rather not have the conversation at all. Mrs. FLAL1A is not a gun person.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
 Without a doubt, the most shameless story I ever devised had to do with the retirement and illness of an elderly security guard at our old apartment complex.  The line went something like: "Hey honey, old Ben is probably on his deathbed, and he told me that he wanted me to have this shotgun (very nice mossberg 590 w/ all the goodies)- his wife wouldn't even accept a few bucks for the gun-wasn't that sweet of them?"

Worked so well, she even had a tear in her eye...hell, you've gotta do what you've gotta do to make those impulse purchases.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]

I use this method.

I am divorced

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I only have 4 firearms:
- a long wooden one
- a long black plastic one
- a small shiney metal one
- a small black plastic one

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife keeps claiming mine, so I have to buy more.

When TSHTF, I'll have backup.

Feel for ya.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I use this meathod.
SGtar15

I wha a hut?
Sgtar15

hod

\Hod\, n. [Prov. E. for hold, i. e., that which holds. See Hold.] 1. A kind of wooden tray with a handle, borne on the shoulder, for carrying mortar, brick, etc.

I am sofa king we todd did.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#17]

My wife doesn't care.

But for some reason, I seem to be running a halfway house for guns from divorced friends.  I'm not kidding either I've got some that have been here 5 years already. Come and get your guns, damnit!

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm single so new guns arn't a problem, unfortunantly though being broke is a problem with getting new guns
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to tell my wife that I was selling valuable pre-bans and that I set the money aside to purchase other guns, she has only been in the States 5 years and doesn't know the difference.

I can't use that line now.  I hid the receipts after recently purchasing a FN 5.7, 20-round mags and 2 cases of ammo for over 2k.  Anyway if she bitches I will just tell her she spends too much on shoes.

She is a chimbo (Chinese bimbo) so I'm not too worried.

BBB: Bullshit baffles brains
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
 Without a doubt, the most shameless story I ever devised had to do with the retirement and illness of an elderly security guard at our old apartment complex.  The line went something like: "Hey honey, old Ben is probably on his deathbed, and he told me that he wanted me to have this shotgun (very nice mossberg 590 w/ all the goodies)- his wife wouldn't even accept a few bucks for the gun-wasn't that sweet of them?"

Worked so well, she even had a tear in her eye...hell, you've gotta do what you've gotta do to make those impulse purchases.  

That's downright shameful
But Hey, whatever works

Thankfully, I dont have to do that. I can just tell her I picked up a new toy and she's OK about it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't lie to the Mrs. Very bad policy.

I've never had a problem ...

Tip: AFTER you bring your new toy home ... take her out to dinner or do something nice for her.

Women do not like to play second fiddle. And even though they may not say anything, she's thinking ... "gee, wish he'd buy something nice for me".

Doesn't have to be equal value, as long as there's genuine thought for her.

IF YA GOTS THE DOUGH TO BUY A TOY ... YOU SHOULD HAVE THE DOUGH TO BLOW ON HER! LOL
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#23]
No, dad, I've had this for a couple of months....

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I use this method.

I am divorced

+1

However, when I was married, my wife didn't mind me buying guns at all.  Her dad was a farmer, hunter, shooter, fisherman.  We used to go to auctions together, she liked it when we came back with cool guns.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Take an extra gun case to the range that is empty... it don't come back empty...

I did that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife doesn't ask when she wants to buy stuff and I don't ask her when I want to buy stuff.  Holy crap are some of you on a leash or what?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Period!

I am not pussywhipped like some of you.

Zen

+1
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't buy guns.
I buy replacement parts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i just buy glocks..

Well you have to with all the !kBs...

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I went to an antique store and bought a 1950s newspaper for about $4-5. Wrapped it up in that and happened to find it behind a wall during a remodeling.

Wrapped another one up a couple years later and had a non-shooting pal drop it off with the wife claiming he found it in his attic, and would I want it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to an antique store and bought a 1950s newspaper for about $4-5. Wrapped it up in that and happened to find it behind a wall during a remodeling.

Wrapped another one up a couple years later and had a non-shooting pal drop it off with the wife claiming he found it in his attic, and would I want it?

Ok that other story was good, but this is some C.I.A. shit here!

Let me guess the 50s paper has a glock in it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:41:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Had a buddy who used the newspaper trick and also used to tell his wife that he bought this or that double shotgun...Parkers and such...for $35-65 or so...women totally understand "bargains". Small problem arose however the day she had the garage sale while he went to play golf...she sold four of his "$50 or so bargain guns" for $100 each!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:43:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:50:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Sorry guys...I'm single...have plenty of money and just buy the guns I want pretty much when I want them. I figure I build the collection now...I'll have less to buy later should that day come.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I drug her frequently.  The persistent build up of the drug causes memory lapses.  She cannot recall our own children's names sometimes, let alone what firearms I have.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:55:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Period!

Zen

The ironies here are fuckin killin me!!

To answer the question though, I dont have to lie or mislead my wife. I tell her I'd like a new gun and within a few months I get it. I wouldnt approve of her going on a 500-1000 or more dollar shopping spree without telling me, and I return the favor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top