Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 9:03:41 AM EDT
Every day I take my dogs for a walk and most days I run into this eccentric 70-year-old lady who is out for a walk and sometimes I have to talk to her for a few minutes.  She is apparently a loony lefty and for the past month I have had to hear about how great Kerry is and how he's going to win against the evil Bush.  She has assumed I am a liberal too because I'm a pretty politically-correct guy, and because my wife is not white (she also thought my wife was a lib).  

I was raised to be polite to old ladies.  But today I had enough so when she said "Our guy is going to win" I said "Our guy?  No.".  Then she said "Oh Oh" and it was off to the races.  I informed her that if Kerry wins she better get herself and her grand-daughters fitted for a Burqua because of the Islamic radicals can influence this election to chose our President they will be influencing every election from now on to get a man into the Presidency here who will appease them and ultimately we'll end up like France or worse.

It turns out her big concern is that the "Religious  Right" is trying to take over.  Now I am not a terribly religious guy but I am not worried about the "Religous Right".  And I'd rather live the Mormon Church (or the Catholic Church) than under the Taliban!  But she sees complete equivalence between Muslim violence and the Religous Right and for that matter "radical" Hindus.  Check out the numbers of Hindus (80 percent of population) killed by Muslims (20 percent of the population) and it's about 10 to 1 against Hindus.

This lady's big source on political truth seems to be "PBS".  I told her PBS is a Dem propaganda arm as far as I am concerned.

Liberals need to get a clue, but they won't until it's too late.  

So did I go too far?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
No, you did not.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't sound like you went too far in this case. But don't preach to people and don't let politics get in the way of a friendship.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Doesn't sound like you went too far in this case. But don't preach to people and don't let politics get in the way of a friendship.

This person really isn't a friend.  Just an annoying know-it-all busy-body old lady.  She's made me dread taking the dog for a walk.

PS.  One of her previous statements was "I've never been to the South.  It's too dangerous for someone like me."

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
You can disagree and still be friendly.

Having opposing thoughts and feeling should mean you will not invite that person over for dinner, not that you should be rude and inconsiderate.

You did ok.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Too far; or not far enough?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Ahhh, from Maryland huh?  I am so sad to see my home state filled with so many liberals.  What part are you from?  I am from Perryville.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]
At least the Mormon church believes in self-reliance and personal accountability, unlike some people (kerry )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top