Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 7:20:56 AM EDT
ETA: Changed title to not so new because I have learned this "charity tactic" has been done for at least 40 years.

Just saw a commercial where Unicef is now "asking" kids to go "collecting" while they're trick-or-treating! I don't know about you but I find this appalling... another holiday, this one especially for children, is being exploited by using children, in their cutest moments, to beg for money... pushing the limits of peoples good nature.

Sorry, but I don't care how good the cause is... there are times when this sort of thing is just inappropriate. Next thing you know they'll be asking paul bearers to collect money at a funderal.

If people want to donate mone they will... they don't need to be guilted by the sad faces of children who are just trying to enjoy Halloween.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Been going on for years.I remember when I had to do it.School forced us to.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Been going on for years.I remember when I had to do it.School forced us to.

I wasn't going to say forced... but it's pretty much what they do. I seem to remember this being more common in Catholic schools... they would even "ask" us to do it in CCD.

I don't remember them doing it during Halloween... just Christmas and Easter...

ETA: Guess I'm just out of touch with the world... Or is it more common in some areas than others? Or did they only recently start advertising it on TV?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just saw a commercial where Unicef is now "asking" kids to go "collecting" while they're trick-or-treating!

"No Thanks Kid!!........And Gimme the Damn Candy back!"
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just saw a commercial where Unicef is now "asking" kids to go "collecting" while they're trick-or-treating!

"No Thanks Kid!!........And Gimme the Damn Candy back!"

So if the kids don't make their collection quota does Unicef deduct it from the candy pile... for every $.50 they don't get, Unicef takes one piece of candy... and if one kids candy runs out then since the parents have emergency access to both kids candy piles Wachovia (wrong thread) Unicef will take it from their brother/sisister's pile to make up the difference.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#6]
WTF, this was standard even when I was growing up 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top