Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 8:35:11 PM EDT
So, tomorrow is my friend/roomate's 22 birthday. I've known this guy since 6th grade, he is by far my closest/most trustworthy friend. He is a true friend, who will go out of his way to help you out, even if it is detrimental to himself. He is really self sacrificing.

I've lived with him since Sept for college, and he's really taken an interest to my shooting hobby. We've gone to the range a couple times, and he's had a lot of fun shooting my AR, my USP and my .22. He's from China, so he's always talking about AKs, and says he'd like to get one (but money, time, and parents would freak out). He is very trustworthy, and would be a very responsible gun owner.

So, this is what I was thinking. What if I were to get him a 10/22 rifle or something like that, mount a scope on it - get him his own firearm, a decent, easy rifle to learn on, a decent scope so he can have fun breaking clays from 100 yards, hopefully get another shooting buddy and hook another young person on gun ownership?

Or is this just a bad idea?

My only other concerns have to do with legalities - I'm a SD resident, he is a WI resident, Im gifting a firearm, and he's not a US citizen (though he is a legal alien). I honestly dont think any of those are problems, but Im going to double check.

So, get him the rifle, or find something else?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Is he smart/savvy about firearms?

Maturity would be a key thing to look at.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
He is 22, I am 22. He (and I) are both very mature, and both very responsible (well, my wife would disagree, but, really, we are.) He's a newbie to firearms, but has done well, is very safety consciencious (sp?).
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He is 22, I am 22. He (and I) are both very mature for our age, and both very responsible (well, my wife would disagree, but, really, we are.) He's a newbie to firearms, but has done well, is very safety consciencious (sp?).

I see nothing wrong with giving him a rifle. Hell, if he knows about safety, I don't know why not; if it's legal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
get him an sks. it's cheaper than a 10-22 and is a real rifle. iron sights first.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]

get him an sks. it's cheaper than a 10-22 and is a real rifle. iron sights first.

Only thing Im thiking is that it is easier to learn on a .22 b/c he is a new shooter.. though he did do very well with the .223 I guess I learned with a .22, but I suppose thats not how everyone has to do it. He'd be thrilled with an SKS too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to follow the law, you'll have to transfer it through an FFL, and you may also need to have him get a permission slip from Wisconsin -- I know for sure that even legal, green-carded "alien" residents have to go through additional paperwork to buy handguns, but I'm not sure about rifles.

Please understand that I'm not endorsing these rules, just letting you know that they exist.  Personally, if you know him well and know he's a decent guy, I say go for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top