Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 6:10:54 PM EDT
I have caught some bizarre flu this week.  No stomach symptoms or head-ache but a low grade fever (probably never over 100.5), chills, and terrible muscle pain in all my major muscle groups.  Today it's hard to walk up or down stairs or pick anything up.  Has anyone else gotten this kind of flu?  I am treating it with Tylenol, Motrin and Vit. C.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here.

Go to a doctor?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It may be a viral syndrome, but maybe not.   If your muscle pain is severe, you should have (among other things) a blood test and urine test done to make sure you don't have something called rhabdomyolysis.  It's a condition where your muscles begin to break down and can lead to kidney failure.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks astro.

If I had felt this lousy yesterday I would have tried for a doctor appointment today.  With the weekend I'll be lucky to see the doc on Monday.  My doc usually has a 1-3 day wait (if I'm really sick I can hit the ER and do a 10 hour wait behind all the illegals).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a tumor to me
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Monkey pox

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It may be a viral syndrome, but maybe not.   If your muscle pain is severe, you should have (among other things) a blood test and urine test done to make sure you don't have something called rhabdomyolysis.  It's a condition where your muscles begin to break down and can lead to kidney failure.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Captain Trips?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Same thing here except not so much aches and a lot of stuffy nose. Basically same regimen as you are taking except  asprin instead of Motrin. I wonder if lots of alchohol is indicated.

CW
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Same thing here except not so much aches and a lot of stuffy nose. Basically same regimen as you are taking except  asprin instead of Motrin. I wonder if lots of alchohol is indicated.

CW

I hear alcohol killed white blood cells so I am avoiding it for now but a cup of hot brandy would be really good.  Also alcohol can be a bad mix with large doses of Tylenol?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I always thought echinacea was quackery until I had a really bad one, and my father forced me to take it (along with something else that claims to be "protease" but which is probably some sort of papaya enzyme).  The stuff actually worked to drive down the symptoms for a few hours after every time I took them.  I don't know how echinacea would do by itself, though.

Give 'em a try.  The "protease" stuff is from "RGarden Inernationale" of Kettle Falls.

BTW, yes, I've had that sort of bug.  No idea what else to try other than waiting it out, as long as it really is just a flu.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Looks like someone stayed in a Holiday Inn last night
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top