Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 2:22:14 PM EDT
A buddy of mine has a pair of Oakleys that a friend gave to him. His friend told him that the shades were issued to him. Are all our guys issued a pair of Oakleys? I thought they bought them on thier own.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes.

When I was in the Marine Corps the only issue sunglasses were Aviato sunglassess issued to Officers and SNCO's with conections.

For desert Strom i was "issued" a pair of brownish grey gargoyles. they were probubly purchaed with unit funds though, as opposed to standard service wide issue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, they issue Oakley, but mostly Wiley X's.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Which model Oakleys and Wiley Xs do they issue?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which model Oakleys and Wiley Xs do they issue?

I don't know. I hear reports of small orders of Oakleys, while the Wiley's (I like Oakley, don't know crap about Wiley) are bought 20k at a time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The Wileys are the combination goggle/sunglasses type. They look like sunglasses, but have rubber foam around the edges of the frame that rest on the face, and have a head strap instead of arms.

Wileys are optically inferior to Oakleys. Get Oakleys. Your eyes will thank you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If anyone needs it I have the NSN for the Wiley-x's. They are class IX.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Wileys are the combination goggle/sunglasses type. They look like sunglasses, but have rubber foam around the edges of the frame that rest on the face, and have a head strap instead of arms.

Wileys are optically inferior to Oakleys. Get Oakleys. Your eyes will thank you.

Which Oakleys? I would like a pair that has ballistic protection.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All oakleys are rated at least as well as industrial safety glasses. Check out their website.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Oakley's are fantastic.  I have been a believer since the late 80s when I faceplanted from my road bike going around a corner at 30mph.  I went down in a lot of gravel and sand.  The Oakley frame punched into my face above and below my right eye.  The two lacerations took 17 stiches to close, but the lenses were only scratched.  I credit the glasses with saving my eyeballs a lot of damage.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]

I bought a couple of pairs from a fellow ARFCOM'er (they still had sand in them! ). BTW, they have a headstrap and frames.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
All troops currently going to the sandbox are being issued WileyX SG-1 Goggles. Their only drawback is that they fog up rather easily. A good commercial anti-fog spray, available at dive shops,  will cure that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try the M-Frame Shooter's array:
Oakley Shooter's array: Expensive, but worth it

SG
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Circu 95 USCG gave out Costa del Mar if you where on SB crew.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
All troops currently going to the sandbox are being issued WileyX SG-1 Goggles. Their only drawback is that they fog up rather easily. A good commercial anti-fog spray, available at dive shops,  will cure that.

I can verify that those going through Hood are being issued this type with accessories. . . .
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can verify that those going through Hood are being issued this type with accessories. . . .

When do they issue these?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never seen Oakleys as an issue item. We always had to buy our own.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#18]
 I guess they didn't like us.  We didn't get anything when we went to the Middle East.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've never seen Oakleys as an issue item. We always had to buy our own.

Post number 1,000.

Congrats.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I was issed Oakley military half-jacket sunglasses last winter for Guantanomo Bay - the military issues Wiley X, Oakley, and other brands - and can get just about anything - the question is how efficient your supply system is - and do you need them? My job is to be on the water all day - sometimes in 100 degree plus heat - thats a lot of glare from the sun - and while I have no problem buying my own gear - its nice to have a unit that looks out for its people.

I believe these are normally ordered through the GSA system or using a government credit card - I think the Wiley X glasses have NSN numbers whereas Oakley does not (to my knowledge).
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you arrive in Kuwait, you get your Rapid Fielding Initiative (RFI) equipment issue if you haven't received it already - new Belleville boots, coolmax-type T-shirts, multitool, and a pair of WileyXs that are NOT the SG-1 type.  They're more like a one-piece goggle/sunglasses that wrap around, kind of like the larger Oakleys.  I think maybe they're PT-1s or something similar.  A buddy of mine showed them to me briefly, but I was leaving theater within a month so they wouldn't give me my RFI issue.

I don't doubt that they're issuing SG-1s here in CONUS, I just wanted to mention that they're issuing a different style in theater.

I assume that if you already have your RFI from back in CONUS, they're not going to give you another issue at Camp Doha, but you can always give it a try...

Dave
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I miss those crappy mirrored aviator glasses with the wire wraparound ear pieces you used to see at gun shows for $3 each.  I have one pair left that I save for the two days a year we have snow on the ground here in Texas.  Also have one pair of yellow ones for foggy weather.  I doubt we see any of these high speed/low drag types surplus any time soon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When do they issue these?

The unit commander (via S4), in coorination  with the post, decides when to get new equipment and DCUs issued.  Since March, due to the back log, some units got them with their main issue, others got theirs when the system was restocked.  At any rate, once they left hood, all had the glasses.  I know that isn't much of an answer, but its the best I can do.  They get them, when they get them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#24]
The Wiley-X goggles actually have a Class IX NSN, so your unit can order them on the ULLS-G box as repair parts if your commander wants to.

There are a lot of cool items that are class IX that really shouldn't be, but that works out better for me
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Get these:

M-Frames

The M-Frame's are nice, full field of vision. side shields. Optically perfect and feel great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes they do

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The Wiley-X goggles actually have a Class IX NSN, so your unit can order them on the ULLS-G box as repair parts if your commander wants to.

There are a lot of cool items that are class IX that really shouldn't be, but that works out better for me

Are the goggles coded expendable or durable?

Be careful with that - PBO types can get real irate if they learn you folks are ordering ETM Readers (laptops) etc. - also G-6 types with regard to computers.

I think it's bullshit, but I saw a shop officer and almost get relieved over it.  Thankfully, the General told the bean counters to pound sand and commended the Lt for finding an innovative way to get needed equipment to his mechanics!

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
They never issued us sunglasses. I bought a pair of fake Oakleys of of a Kuwaiti guy(he was wearing them at the time) while I was waiting for my mother to send me some new ones.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the goggles coded expendable or durable?

Be careful with that - PBO types can get real irate if they learn you folks are ordering ETM Readers (laptops) etc. - also G-6 types with regard to computers.

I think it's bullshit, but I saw a shop officer and almost get relieved over it.  Thankfully, the General told the bean counters to pound sand and commended the Lt for finding an innovative way to get needed equipment to his mechanics!

Yeah, you have to be carefull, or get someone higher to approve it and take the heat off your back

There was a laser printer that was class IX for a few months back in 2000.

And the goggles are expendable
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#31]
We bought pretty much whatever we wanted for last years deployment and put it on our travel claims for reimbursement. I got an nice pair of Oakleys with my prescription in them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
When I was stationed on top of the Feldberg in Germany, Everyone on my site was issued sunglasses if they had a prescription for glasses.

Birth control sunglasses are only slightly less ugly than the non tinted ones.

TXL

BTW, we were issued them due to snow 8 months out of the year, and the hazards of snow-blindness.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If anybody is looking for a pair of XLJ Half-jackets with black frames and gray polarized lenses... drop me a line.  I bought both these and a pair of Juliets and preferred the Juliets, so these are sitting here unused, new in box.

Mail sent
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#34]
WTF?  There are a ton of people talking about sun-glasses.  Man, my unit didn't get anything!  Of course, this was back in the days that the AIM-1 deltas were high-tech.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I remember that - there was a mad scramble to get those on the property books once that was sorted out.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember that - there was a mad scramble to get those on the property books once that was sorted out.

Dave

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#37]
A  lot of useful stuff was Class IX back in 2000 if I remember right.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you arrive in Kuwait, you get your Rapid Fielding Initiative (RFI) equipment issue if you haven't received it already - new Belleville boots, coolmax-type T-shirts, multitool, and a pair of WileyXs that are NOT the SG-1 type.  They're more like a one-piece goggle/sunglasses that wrap around, kind of like the larger Oakleys.  I think maybe they're PT-1s or something similar.  A buddy of mine showed them to me briefly, but I was leaving theater within a month so they wouldn't give me my RFI issue.

I don't doubt that they're issuing SG-1s here in CONUS, I just wanted to mention that they're issuing a different style in theater.

I assume that if you already have your RFI from back in CONUS, they're not going to give you another issue at Camp Doha, but you can always give it a try...

Dave

We got our RFI already and we haven't even left the states yet. I think they said they were trying out some new program with issuing that stuff here rather  than in theater. Supposedly we were the first ones here to get that stuff before we left.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave

We got our RFI already and we haven't even left the states yet. I think they said they were trying out some new program with issuing that stuff here rather  than in theater. Supposedly we were the first ones here to get that stuff before we left.

Yeah supposedly my USAR unit will be getting our RFI before our MOB date even. To include ACU's.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top