Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2004 12:15:06 PM EDT
Most Christians(99.9% of them at least) believe that the Word of God, the Bible is infailable and perfect. From Genesis to Revelations it is total truth with no errors.  OK, explain this to me if you can.  In Genesis we read that God created the Moon to rule the night and give us light, if this is true then why doesn't sicence back up this theory?  As best as they can tell a planet 1/2 the size of earth collided with our planet and merged with it, from this part of our planet was spit off into space and  formed our moon, so much for God creating it. Also, ya'll seem to think that things have been the same since the first day of creation, that nothing has changed, WRONG. Our moon is moving away from us 1.5" per year, that means that it was 83.3 yards closer to our planet when Christ walked the earth then it is now. It also means that in the future the moon will be further away and our rotation will slow even more so days will get longer.  So much for things not changing.  OK, flame away, give me your best shot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What rotation?  Mamma says the earth is flat.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Who is to say HOW God created Earth? Even if the Earth was created with two planets colliding, it doesn't mean that God was not responsible for this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most Christians(99.9% of them at least) believe that the Word of God, the Bible is infailable and perfect. From Genesis to Revelations it is total truth with no errors.  OK, explain this to me if you can.  In Genesis we read that God created the Moon to rule the night and give us light, if this is true then why doesn't sicence back up this theory?  As best as they can tell a planet 1/2 the size of earth collided with our planet and merged with it, from this part of our planet was spit off into space and  formed our moon, so much for God creating it. Also, ya'll seem to think that things have been the same since the first day of creation, that nothing has changed, WRONG. Our moon is moving away from us 1.5" per year, that means that it was 83.3 yards closer to our planet when Christ walked the earth then it is now. It also means that in the future the moon will be further away and our rotation will slow even more so days will get longer.  So much for things not changing.  OK, flame away, give me your best shot.

I'm with you on the god thing, but what makes you think that this is true?  From how I'm thinking, the moon moving further away (over eons) will change tide & internal magma dynamics, but will have a neglegable effect on rotation speed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Most Christians(99.9% of them at least) believe that the Word of God, the Bible is infailable and perfect.

Because you just pulled this out of your ass, you don't even deserve an answer.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would anyone want to flame you ? It is not our place to question how god created this or that it is just faith that he did it that makes us christians. As far as things changing you haven't seen anything yet try reading Revelations. When the nations team up against Isreal be ready. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#6]
What is your point?  As a Christian, I accept scientific explanations for evolution, and the creation of the Universe.  The Bible is true, and its intent is clear.  Now, they obviously lacked the understanding back then to comprehend any of the science.  But, go figure how the in the Bible God created things in the order they evolved.  

Science doesn't disprove God, it just explores more of his creation.  If science is how you justify disbelief in God, I feel sorry for you.  You are really missing the point.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Turn on the Science Channel and watch "If We Had No Moon.", It's on now, give it a look.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you have a fucking point, or are you just trolling?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
What's that old saying?  "Your arms are too short to box with God."

Please, go do something constructive with your life.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't take the bible literally with every word.  That is what terrorists do.

Think Wahhabism.

The message is what is important (in the bible).  Not sure if I completely understand the question, but it sounds like one of the creation vs. evolution themes...?  If so do a Google search for the different perspectives.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
These questions do nothing but stir the pot.

Comparing Science and Religion is like comparing apples and buckets.

two totally different things.

In Religion is something is proven wrong then they must throw out the entire book as God's word is infallible.

However in Science proving something wrong is just a matter of revising the hypothesis and working with it until both it and the research shows the same result.

Really two different  things.

And they put a whole bunch of the CYA statements in the bible like We don't know how much time a day is, but days weren't even days until man put a measure of time on a lunar cycle etc...

its a huge confusing loop, and wish that those who believe in what they believe let me and mine believe in what we want to and we can all get along and drink beers or shoot or whatever.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As best as they can tell a planet 1/2 the size of earth collided with our planet and merged with it, from this part of our planet was spit off into space and  formed our moon, so much for God creating it.

So glad you solidly straightened this out for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#13]
God made the heavens and the earth.  the bible doesn’t say how.  Science may have a theory on how it happened but they would just be guessing.   You can’t expect a goat herder who lived 10,000 years ago to understand astrophysics.  that's why God says it simply.

of course the earth, moon and stars change and move apart.  know one ever said they didn't
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Most Christians(99.9% of them at least) believe that the Word of God, the Bible is infailable and perfect. From Genesis to Revelations it is total truth with no errors.  OK, explain this to me if you can.  In Genesis we read that God created the Moon to rule the night and give us light, if this is true then why doesn't sicence back up this theory?  As best as they can tell a planet 1/2 the size of earth collided with our planet and merged with it, from this part of our planet was spit off into space and  formed our moon, so much for God creating it.  Also, ya'll seem to think that things have been the same since the first day of creation, that nothing has changed, WRONG. Our moon is moving away from us 1.5" per year, that means that it was 83.3 yards closer to our planet when Christ walked the earth then it is now. It also means that in the future the moon will be further away and our rotation will slow even more so days will get longer.  So much for things not changing.  OK, flame away, give me your best shot.

The best you can do is point to a 0.07% change in the moon's mean distance from earth over the past 6000 years?  Furthermore, the Bible says nothing about God's universe remaining static.  Rather, it points to astronomical phenomena being useful for measuring time.

If you have honest questions, ask away.  If you want to offer intelligent dissent, my brothers and I can take it.  But you're being neither honest nor intelligent.

Answer me this: is the second law of thermodynamics a result of the fall of man, or was it part of God's original plan?  Support your answer, since you are such a Bible expert.

Here are some other questions you can try to answer.

JOB 38:1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:

JOB 38:2 "Who is this that darkens my counsel
   with words without knowledge?

JOB 38:3 Brace yourself like a man;
   I will question you,
   and you shall answer me.

JOB 38:4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
   Tell me, if you understand.

JOB 38:5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
   Who stretched a measuring line across it?

JOB 38:6 On what were its footings set,
   or who laid its cornerstone--

JOB 38:7 while the morning stars sang together
   and all the angels shouted for joy?"

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What's that old saying?  "Your arms are too short to box with God."

Please, go do something constructive with your life.

I like you, Frank, but I honestly don't care for these threads where someone tries to start off with the premise that God is wrong about something....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Who is to say HOW God created Earth? Even if the Earth was created with two planets colliding, it doesn't mean that God was not responsible for this.

+1

Also, ya'll seem to think that things have been the same since the first day of creation, that nothing has changed

Uh, says who exactly? I've been going to church off and on since the early '80s and I've never heard that. Try again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In Religion is something is proven wrong then they must throw out the entire book as God's word is infallible.

However in Science proving something wrong is just a matter of revising the hypothesis and working with it until both it and the research shows the same result.

And they put a whole bunch of the CYA statements in the bible like We don't know how much time a day is, but days weren't even days until man put a measure of time on a lunar cycle etc...

its a huge confusing loop, and wish that those who believe in what they believe let me and mine believe in what we want to and we can all get along and drink beers or shoot or whatever.

What are you talking about?  Is English your fist language?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, seeing as I am in that 0.1%, I guess I can't help you.

Doesn't change the fact that the IMPORTANT stuff in the Bible, like how to treat your fellow man and how to live in a relationship with God, IS infallable and perfect .

So, when you decide to nit-pick "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor", or something equally important, let me know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Is the second law of Thermodynamics the chaos thing? Looks like my shop.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Like I said, this is ment to stirr the pot and get ya'll to thinking. Too many people take what the Bible says as "Gospel" and never question anything that's written in the book. Wake up and think for yourselfs. The Bible has some very nice stories in it but to take it as fact just doesn't make any sense. Question what you've been taught and demand an explanation for what they tell you is "truth".
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Like I said, this is ment to stirr the pot and get ya'll to thinking. Too many people take what the Bible says as "Gospel" and never question anything that's written in the book. Wake up and think for yourselfs. The Bible has some very nice stories in it but to take it as fact just doesn't make any sense. Question what you've been taught and demand an explanation for what they tell you is "truth".

You are telling us to wake up?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is the second law of Thermodynamics the chaos thing? Looks like my shop.

Yes, though Fizassist could give the precise definition.  The summary and effect is that systems tend toward disorder.

Why is this?  Did God make it this way, or was it part of The Curse ("Cursed is the ground because of you...it will grow thorns and thistles" [instead of food])?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that arguing Science versus Religion is pointless, one will never prove the other wrong.

Science won't ever be proved wrong, because it is constantly revised.

Religion won't ever be proved wrong, because it has many loopholes that can be interpreted to say whatever you would like to read out of it.

And I get tired of people trying to convince/disprove others.

reading... it isn't hard.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

"At no point in your incoherent rambling did you even create a rational thought, let alone pose a question. All of us are now dumber having listened to your response. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Billy Madison

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whats a fist language?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#26]
The answer is 42. Accept it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#27]
1st off - who says science is right?  They thought the Earth was flat at one time.

2ndly - God can use whatever method of creation he likes.  If he wants to create the Earth by smashing pieces of debris together, he can.

3rdly - God created everything in 6 days.  Who's to say his day is 24 hours long?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like somebody's mad Mom made them get up for church on Sunday.

To proclaim the absence of God is just as much of a religious belief as proclaiming the existence of God. You can believe anything you want, but there's no reason to piss in someone else's Cheerios.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Like I said, this is ment to stirr the pot and get ya'll to thinking.

No it's not.  It's meant to piss people off and get attention.  If you want to do that, fine.  But you don't have to lie about it.  Just jump up and down and yell, "EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!!"  It's okay, really.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like I said, this is ment to stirr the pot and get ya'll to thinking.

No it's not.  It's meant to piss people off and get attention.  If you want to do that, fine.  But you don't have to lie about it.  Just jump up and down and yell, "EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!!"  It's okay, really.

yeah just come in here and yell "Jesus was a pansy!"

has about the same effect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
1st off - who says science is right?  They thought the Earth was flat at one time.

2ndly - God can use whatever method of creation he likes.  If he wants to create the Earth by smashing pieces of debris together, he can.

3rdly - God created everything in 6 days.  Who's to say his day is 24 hours long?

The CHURCH held that the earth was flat and even percuted Galileo for saying otherwise.  If it was created in 6 days then on the 4th day when the earth was hit so that the moon would be created from the impact then all of the plants that God created on the 3rd. day would have been killed off. Genesis Creation Story is just that, a nice STORY or should I use the word Myth.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Perhaps to show the futility of anything created or maintained by man. Not by works but by faith.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Hmmmmm, I did not know that Catholics only make up .1% of all Christians.

The Bible is perfect and infallible, but not to be taken literally word for word.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Religion won't ever be proved wrong, because it has many loopholes that can be interpreted to say whatever you would like to read out of it.

Oops, mispell there.  Ok, nice cliche.  Evidence, buddy.  Christianity is guide on how to live your life, not a science book.  It mostly deals with your interactions with others.

So, interpret for me.  Interpret Christianity to mean anything other than "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

That argument is bullshit, and a cheap cop out by people who are to lazy to learn about Christianity.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Your 99.9 percent figure was clearly pulled from your 4th point of contact.

What would the point of "red letter" editions be if every word came straight from God?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#36]
In Genesis we read that God created the Moon to rule the night and give us light, if this is true then why doesn't sicence back up this theory? As best as they can tell a planet 1/2 the size of earth collided with our planet and merged with it, from this part of our planet was spit off into space and formed our moon, so much for God creating it.

What?  Science said that maybe the moon formed from a collision, so the Bible must be wrong?  First of all no one knows that that is how the moon formed, so using it to disprove the Bible is really stupid.  Second, as others said, why couldn't God have made it through natural forces (though I don't believe that)?

Also, ya'll seem to think that things have been the same since the first day of creation, that nothing has changed, WRONG.

I have no idea where you got that idea.  That is really out there.  I . . . really don't know how to respond to that.

To suffice, you have offered nothing of any substance whatsoever.  Come back and try it again when you think you're ready.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

But what is the question?

We should ask the mice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn, dude, at least learn how to spell the word stir.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#39]
"What do you get when you miultiply 6 by 9?"

The sad thing is that some people here will consider THAT to make more sense than the Bible!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We should ask the mice.

What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

ETA:  It figures that Zaphod would beat me to it.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
The CHURCH held that the earth was flat and even percuted Galileo for saying otherwise.

Why are you using the "church" as proof of what christians believed?  The church was, and is, an organization.  They largely care nothing about truth.  If you want to attack creationism, you can't attack a single denomination, or a single individual, and say, "See, all creationists and Christians think that way!"

Just an unimportant side note:  I am pretty sure that he was prosecuted for stating that the Earth was not at the center of the universe, not that the Earth was round.  He invented the telescope and discovered unarguably that objects were orbiting Jupiter.

If it was created in 6 days then on the 4th day when the earth was hit so that the moon would be created from the impact then all of the plants that God created on the 3rd. day would have been killed off. Genesis Creation Story is just that, a nice STORY or should I use the word Myth.

Once again, the moon-collision theory is exactly that, a THEORY.  Using it to prove that the Bible is wrong is beyond stupid.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are telling us to wake up?

lol sounds like me when I was 18 and a rebel without a clue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#44]
TNFrank,

How old are you?  Really, I want to know.  I'm trying to understand the context of your question and how to respond and it seems an age-appropriate response is in order.  How old are you?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#45]
It's all the Catholics fault.  Every time that anything comes up about religion, on this board, it's ALWAYS the Catholics fault.  Let's start bashing the Catholics.  I'll go first:

Those Catholics, with their big penises, totally screwed up the entire earth & moon.

(In the event that it's not the Catholics fault, I'l be glad to bash whomever is really at fault.  let me know.)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We should ask the mice.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, mispell there.  Ok, nice cliche.  Evidence, buddy.  Christianity is guide on how to live your life, not a science book.  It mostly deals with your interactions with others.

So, interpret for me.  Interpret Christianity to mean anything other than "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

That argument is bullshit, and a cheap cop out by people who are to lazy to learn about Christianity.

I don't think you are understanding what I am getting at.

The loopholes I was speaking about are the "well who is to say how long a day was, or maybe God" made evolution."  that it is so ambigous that you can read into it just about anything you want.

Look at the hardcore abortion clinic bombing christians. that is my case in point, they will swear up and down to you that they got that way from reading the bible, and can probably quote to you,
but what they read and got out of it, is different from what you or I interpreted out of it.

To me the bible IS nothing more than a guide on how to live your life.

"Treat others as you would like to be treated"

That makes some damn good sense there. That is a fine way to live.

I was simply saying that using one to disprove the other is a futile exercise,

and that they can exist mutually.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

What amazes me is, you can't see the obvious answer that God planned and has all of that planned out.  He never says in the bible:  "Lo, I did not make a planet collide with earth to produce the moon nor make it moving away from earth.. etc."

You folks need to quit being obsessed with the details and start believing (or not believing) things on faith.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
It's all the Catholics fault.  Every time that anything comes up about religion, on this board, it's ALWAYS the Catholics fault.  Let's start bashing the Catholics.  I'll go first:

Those Catholics, with their big penises, totally screwed up the entire earth & moon.

(In the event that it's not the Catholics fault, I'l be glad to bash whomever is really at fault.  let me know.)

Oh come now - the Mormons get it just as bad as us Catholics.  The Muslims get it far worse.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We should ask the mice.

Wouldn't this smiley be most appropriate?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top