Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 4:29:10 PM EDT
Today at work a big piece of wood (15-20 feet long) fell over and landed on my truck. Put two dents in the drivers side fender about the length of my middle finger and then one little freckle of a dent in the roof. I took it in for 3 estimates, the median being $1424. The store manager at first said they'd cover everything but when I brought him the estimates he got all butt hurt that it was so expensive. My truck is an '86 K5 Blazer and the paint is in real good shape for the age, but its not perfect. All of the shops said they'd have to do all sorts of color sanding/blending and I'm afraid that if I have that done it'll look like shit by next year. Store manager said that if I want to take a cash out they'll give me half of what the estimates were and I can go to my preferred dent guy or I can have it fixed and the store will directly pay a body shop. Don't they have to pay me what the estimate was? Can they really screw me and say they'll only give me half? I hate this crap Any info or suggestions would be great. Thanks!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Another thing is that if I take it into a bodyshop and have it fixed I'll be out a car for a week. If I have my dent guy do it he can come out and fix it in one day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
$1400 for two little dents in the fender?

PFFFT!

I would that the $700 from the store manager and never say another word about it. I sure as hell wouldn't waste any money on getting an '86 Blazer with an imperfect paint job fixed!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If they are willing to pay a body shop directly, go to the most expensive one!  They probably figure you got fat estimates in hopes of pocketting some extra cash at their expense.  I wouldn't take a caash payout for 1/2 the estimate unless you can really get the job done for half!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like your boss thinks you are trying to screw him out of some money.

He is liable to have your truck fixed, not line your pockets.  He wants to pay the body shop directly.  I think that is fair.  That is how an insurance company would handle the situation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#6]
if the dents are the size of your little middle finger , why don't you paint some hands in the shape of giving the bird?

A big FU to everyone
but seriously, on an '85 blazer there is no way they should be asking for that amount
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Take 700 bucks.

Shut-up.

Buy gun.

Shoot gun.

Be happy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
you need to find an in.  Someone who does it in their garage. Or get an estimate from one of those places that pulls dents out.  My mom had hail damage, a couple of the hits were very noticable and  now you can't tell one bit.  Your paint may be an issue if it cracked?
Good luck
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell 'em you'll take the $700 & then go buy the parts to assemble your own AR.

For a bit of perspective, '86 Blazers in Michigan (or what's left of them) aren't worth $1400.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]
If you haven't had any auto body work done lately, you are in for a shocker. It is expensive getting
anything fixed these days. The shops have all kinds of EPA and OSHA plus labor regulations to follow.
The color matching and blending is normal these days. That way they can match any shade of paint whether it is new or faded. Personally, I would push to get it fixed correctly if you are planning on keeping the vehicle for any length of time. However remember that the vehicle is not even worth that much money especially if it has over 100K miles on it. You may be attached to it but the next guy won't.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Take the cash and live with the dents. I would take $700 for someone to dent my '95 Ranger.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It's only a few dents on an 18 year old truck...I'd take the $700.  Time to buy a new toy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont let them charge you for blinker fluid.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]
OK so If I have a $1424 estimate why can't they give me the money to have it fixed? The manager isn't paying for it, the company is. I don't want any paintwork involved. In cases where our drivers have hit people and caused damage like this, the company asks for an estimate and then just pays the person that was hit. I don't see why it should be different because I'm an employee.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The problem is that it will cost $1500.00 to fix something that you probably wouldn't fix if you accidentaly did it yourself. On top of the fact that it is a 18 year old vehicle. That's why your boss is in a wrinkle. If it was a 2004 model he would pay no matter what the cost.

If I was you, I would counter with a " I can probably find someone who will do it for $900.00 cash" then go buy a new toy and forget about the dent.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
The truck is nearly 20 years old, it has no real value.  I hope you are not carring anything other than liability insurance on it.  That much damage would total a truck that old (totaled = damage cost that exceeds cash value of vehicle).

Take the money and run.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Take 700 bucks.

Shut-up.

Buy gun.

Shoot gun.

Be happy.

+1
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Why don't you get the paintless dent repair guy to knock out those dents for $150 and be happy.  No need to stick it to your company over something so small.  Had the same thing happen to my '90 Cherokee, a kid at work dented the door.  Most shops were quoting me $600-1200.  I went to the Miracle in Walnut Creek and the told me just to go to the paintless dent guys.  Cost me $125 for a pretty sizable dent.

BTW, if you need work done, I've had nothing but really positive experiences at Miracle.  Sure, some people give them crap for being low rent, but both times I've used them they've done a great job, and then turned around and told me NOT to use them when there was a better option.  No other shop did that and were more than happy to take my money.  That earned major props from me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is the deal, I work with Blue84S10 and there are a few things that blue left out. The piece of wood that hit his truck has been there for almost a month, and the manager has been asked to move it or dispose of it for as long as it has been there, all he ever says is that he will get to it. Part if the reason I think blue doesnt want to just take the money and run is because the manager has been screwing up big time for pretty much the whole year he has been at this store and the office guys just pretend to not notice. Its time his lack of responcibility get noticed.

Also, to those of you who say...its just an 85 blazer dont worry....the paint is really nice, besides its his car, and it was damaged on company property, and it should get fixed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Today at work a big piece of wood (15-20 feet long) fell over and landed on my truck. Put two dents in the drivers side fender about the length of my middle finger and then one little freckle of a dent in the roof. I took it in for 3 estimates, the median being $1424. The store manager at first said they'd cover everything but when I brought him the estimates he got all butt hurt that it was so expensive. My truck is an '86 K5 Blazer and the paint is in real good shape for the age, but its not perfect. All of the shops said they'd have to do all sorts of color sanding/blending and I'm afraid that if I have that done it'll look like shit by next year. Store manager said that if I want to take a cash out they'll give me half of what the estimates were and I can go to my preferred dent guy or I can have it fixed and the store will directly pay a body shop. Don't they have to pay me what the estimate was? Can they really screw me and say they'll only give me half? I hate this crap Any info or suggestions would be great. Thanks!  

Did you at least get dinner?  A kiss?  Some lube?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#22]
this is why one owns guns.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Personally, I'd take the money and leave the dents. But it sounds like you want it fixed, so the best bet is to take it to the shop and let the manager pay the shop directly. His offer is already pretty generous. I don't know the condition of your vehicle, but in general, 86 Blazers have a trade in of less than 1K so if he's willing to fork over $1400 to fix some dents, take the deal and run.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Tell your boss to come to my house - he can put a couple of dents in my car for $700

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Personally, I'd take the money and leave the dents. But it sounds like you want it fixed, so the best bet is to take it to the shop and let the manager pay the shop directly. His offer is already pretty generous. I don't know the condition of your vehicle, but in general, 86 Blazers have a trade in of less than 1K so if he's willing to fork over $1400 to fix some dents, take the deal and run.

I'd take the money and leave the dents but why should I have to settle for half of what the estimate is?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Dont let them charge you for blinker fluid.

Bozo?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd take the money and leave the dents but why should I have to settle for half of what the estimate is?

Why stick it to your company over something you are not going to have done anyhow?  If you are worried about getting it fixed, they said they would do it, they just want to pay directly.  If you don't get it fixed, I think $700 is way more than fair.  Why should they pay you more?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Another thing is that if I take it into a bodyshop and have it fixed I'll be out a car for a week. If I have my dent guy do it he can come out and fix it in one day.

You're gettin screwed by the store if you take 'the cash'...

They have insurance...

They should pay the FULL COST of your local top-of-the-line body shop, but should pay the shop direct - that is reasonable...

If you go to a GOOD body shop, the 'color blending' will be done by computer, and will not be noticable...

Tell them no-thanks, pay for the repair or I'll sue...

If they refuse, file in small claims for damages + car rental expense.

Oh, and most high-end body shops (local mechanics & dealerships that DO NOT DO BODY WORK will know who they are) will give you a courtesy rental while your car is being worked on...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Take 50-75% of their price to fix, say you will take that.

Pocket the money, hell with having something nice
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here is the deal, I work with Blue84S10 and there are a few things that blue left out. The piece of wood that hit his truck has been there for almost a month, and the manager has been asked to move it or dispose of it for as long as it has been there, all he ever says is that he will get to it. Part if the reason I think blue doesnt want to just take the money and run is because the manager has been screwing up big time for pretty much the whole year he has been at this store and the office guys just pretend to not notice. Its time his lack of responcibility get noticed.

Also, to those of you who say...its just an 85 blazer dont worry....the paint is really nice, besides its his car, and it was damaged on company property, and it should get fixed.

sooo, he knew it was a hazard and still parked there? sounds like poor situational awareness.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#31]
so the whole beef is that you want all the cash but dont want the car to actually be fixed?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:34:51 AM EDT
[#32]
You should be dealing with the company's head office not your manager.  Their Insurance should be calling YOU not your boss.

My jeep got banged up during a storm at walmarts lot.  THe cart corrals were not bolted down when the 90mph winds hit.

Well about 30 vehicles were turned into stops for the corrals as then flipped, twisted and bashed the vehicles.

I filed my report with the manager and she took pics.

The insurance called me and asked for 3 quotes.

I went to 3 expensive shops,  and mailed them the estimates.  They sent me a check.   It shouldn't be any different with your case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top