Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 10:26:00 AM EDT
I got about 150ft of property line @ the rear of my yard and I am sick of looking at my neighbors and their ugly chainlink fence. I was planning on building a wood privacy fence, however the idea popped into my head to plant bamboo along the fence line. It grows quickly, you can't see through it, and it is a PITA to try and get through, plus I think the stuff looks nice.

However, a friend of mine said he thought bamboo bushes attract rats and mice. Any truth to this ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#1]
AcidGambit: Oh man, bamboo when planted in the ground once it starts growing, it grows super fast  and is real, real hard to get rid of. If you're going to plant bamboo, put them in a planter of some sort so they can't escape.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#2]
its no more a rodent habitat than any "natural area" would be.  problem with bamboo is that it is invasive - it'll get to be a big patch unless you keep it back with periodic cutting and some herbicide work.

it does make a tight screen though!  just make sure you have enough room for it.  it also does not grow well in heavy shade - it will, only slower.  if you have a lot of sun, check out some leyland cyprus or some skyrocket junipers, if bamboo is not a viable option.

i like bamboo - just in the right areas.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Pampas grass or bananna trees.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, once you start growing bamboo, it doesn't stop. You need something like 2-foot-deep-underground barriers to keep it from taking over your area.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
damn that was quick... I'll check out some of the other options mentioned. If I plants something, I don't want to have to screw with it... I'm not a real yard guy, I don't water, I don't plant, I don't trim, I only mow and edge when I feel guilty.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Pampas looks good but takes up room.  Bananna will spread if left unchecked but will bear fruit if there is no frost.  You have never experienced bananna pudding untill you've tried fresh picked, tree ripened banannas in your bananna pudding! YUM!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
AcidGambit: Oh man, bamboo when planted in the ground once it starts growing, it grows super fast  and is real, real hard to get rid of. If you're going to plant bamboo, put them in a planter of some sort so they can't escape.

Say AMEN to that Bro...Many (but not all) spread like wildfire.  I use it as a privacy fence and haven't noticed any critters living in it...Hell, once grown the 1st few feet don't even have leaves so I don't understand why you'd have rodents.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]
watch out for jap snipers, they love that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Oleanders (seriously)

Beautiful flowers, grows like a weed (fast), very thick (hides neighbors well), makes great boundry planting

Only downside (potentially) is that they emit poisonous smoke when burned, and are not to be eaten (Duh)

got a similar problem that I helped to solve this way

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
We've never had a problem with bamboo up here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top