Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 1:34:56 PM EDT
New cryptology rating defends information threats

By Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet Public Affairs

Thursday, October 14, 2004
To face the new threat of cyberspace and warfighting through information operations, the Navy established the new Cryptologic Technician (Networks), or CTN rating Oct. 1.

The new rating will focus not only on protecting the Navy computer networks from attacks, but also helping develop networks and systems that improve mission accomplishment.

Before being selected for CTN, the 242 new CTNs went through an application process which included an endorsement from their chain of command. In June, a board convened in Millington, Tenn., to decide who would be in the new rating. Those selected require a vast array of computer networking knowledge.

“I am very excited about becoming a CTN,” said Cryptologic Technician (Networks) 3rd Class Mechelle Krecota, a global network analyst at Naval Security Group Activity, Hawaii. “The CTN rating is like the way of the future. There will be many opportunities in this rating.”

Besides having the knowledge and experience of their current CT rate, candidates for CTN must be sustained superior performers.

Over the next three years, about 600 CTNs will be selected for service in the new rating through a selection process aimed at an applicant’s ability to serve and perform in a technically sophisticated and demanding rating. They will use defensive and offensive computer network operations tools and techniques in support of the information-operation-warfare area.

Now that the CTN rating has been established, after more than 10 years of debate and study, the new rating is looking for interested, qualified CTs to submit conversion request packages. The CTN rating will be open to all Navy ratings in FY-07.

Interested and eligible applicants should see their command career counselor for eligibility requirements and application instructions.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
nice
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
i work with some former CTs...shit hot. i wonder if ITs are eligible for this
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
This definitely is in opposition with the trend. The EW and CTT ratings just merged. Other ratings have been disappearing FAST over the past 10 years.

This says something about how important the Navy views this.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the Navy outsources this stuff to Pakistan and India?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
As a former CTT (30 years ago)  I find this interesting. All of the places I was stationed are closed down now. Good luck to all the new CTNs. John
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i work with some former CTs...shit hot. i wonder if ITs are eligible for this

I worked with some CTs for 20 years.  Some of them are downright boneheads.

CTOC(SW) Ret.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As a former CTT (30 years ago)  I find this interesting. All of the places I was stationed are closed down now. Good luck to all the new CTNs. John

Yeah the days of field stations are gone. Sadly they went before I could do any tours in them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#9]
When I joined the navy as a CTM in 96, I was told this was right around the corner.  Kept hearing every year until I got out in 02.  Just thought it was funny that it was happening "real soon".  8 years later...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top