Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 8:56:02 PM EDT
This ad appeared in my univerity's newspaper "The Rebel Yell" on 10-14-04.

It offers a 15% discount on abortions at a clinic in Las Vegas.

If you find this as outrageous as I do, please help me put an end to this disgusting use of a state school's newspaper.

The Rebel Yell
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Box 452011
Las Vegas, NV 89154-2011

Justin Chromintra
Editor in Chief
[email protected]
702-895-2668

Dr. Carol C. Harter
Office of the President
4505 Maryland Parkway
Box 451001
Las Vegas, Nevada 89154-1001
(702) 895-3201
(702) 895-1088 – fax

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If a car dealership can discount cars, whats the problem with a clinic discounting an abortion?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#2]
That is just disgusting.  Next it'll be a two for one.  Have fun burning in Hell.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This ad appeared in my univerity's newspaper "The Rebel Yell" on 10-14-04.

It offers a 15% discount on abortions at a clinic in Las Vegas.

img101.exs.cx/img101/7610/unlv.jpg

If you find this as outrageous as I do, please help me put an end to this disgusting use of a state school's newspaper.

The Rebel Yell
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Box 452011
Las Vegas, NV 89154-2011

Justin Chromintra
Editor in Chief
[email protected]
702-895-2668

Dr. Carol C. Harter
Office of the President
4505 Maryland Parkway
Box 451001
Las Vegas, Nevada 89154-1001
(702) 895-3201
(702) 895-1088 – fax

What a fucked up thing, mother fuckers. Some one should have had an abortion before they brought these fuckers into the world.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Disgusting.

Just another nail in the coffin of any hope of people taking responsiblity for their lives.

I do think abortion has it's place in the scheme of things but I DESPISE the fact that its primary use is after-the-fact birth control.

If you're too stupid to use a condom or too lazy to remember to take the pill THEN YOU SHOULDN'T BE FUCKING (AND BREEDING) IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So in the future, they should run all ads past you, to make sure you approve?

If your outrage is enough justification to get them to prevent this ad in the future, can liberals' outrage be enough justification to prevent gun stores or hunting organizers to advertise?

Let them print whatever they want - it's a college newspaper for crying out loud.  If THEY can't print stupid shit, who can?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your outrage is enough justification to get them to prevent this ad in the future, can liberals' outrage be enough justification to prevent gun stores or hunting organizers to advertise?

Let them print whatever they want - it's a college newspaper for crying out loud.  If THEY can't print stupid shit, who can?  

I sure hope you aren't equating gun ownership to that of abortion.  One is in defense of life, the other is snuffing it.  You do know the difference, don't you?

For this kind of ad to appear in a college newspaper supported by tax dollars is really a new low.  

I never expected to see human life discounted in such a literal way.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know why but that ad cracks me up!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll take 2
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to know if they would accept an ad for a gun store or manufacturer.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'd like to know if they would accept an ad for a gun store or manufacturer.  

Doubt it.  They'd call it "inciting violence" or some such bullshit (and never see the irony in that statement).
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Doubt it.  They'd call it "inciting violence" or some such bullshit (and never see the irony in that statement).

That would actually be double irony because guns have never been illegal.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What are the odds that a gun store could place an ad in the college newspaper? If I understand it correctly, the problem is not with the ad as much as where it's placed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Whats the big deal?

It's just a baby?

Kill it.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sure hope you aren't equating gun ownership to that of abortion.  One is in defense of life, the other is snuffing it.  You do know the difference, don't you?

No, I'm equating censorship with censorship.  You do know what censorship is right?

I'm merely pointing out that when newspapers have to stop printing ONE thing because it offends ONE groups, then the door is open to ANY group stopping anything that they deem offensive from appearing in the paper, and then the press might as well close their doors and go home - because the freedom of the press and the first amendement is dead.

For this kind of ad to appear in a college newspaper supported by tax dollars is really a new low.  

It might be a new low to you - but it might be an exciting and uplifting thing to various other people on campus.  

I completely understand your personal outrage - and I find it vaguely distasteful as well (although no more than Viagara commercials all over billboards and the TV), but I don't see the point in trying to suppress or censor a college newspaper from printing whatever they want.

If you want to change it, I'd encourage you to get involved with the newpaper and become active in their editorail process - that's probably more likely to effect some kind of change that to just whine about it.

But hey - maybe you'll be lucky and the university president or chancellor will be outraged as well.

ETA:  I do AGREE that the tax dollar thing is the potentially outrageous thing - since you cannot "vote with your wallet" and drive the paper out of business - which would obviously happen in a market if a paper printed stuff that offended most "customers".  maybe you should also contact state representatives/senators or whoever might be the relevant state-level person to talk to.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Same deal for retroactive ones?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I'm equating censorship with censorship.  You do know what censorship is right?

I'm merely pointing out that when newspapers have to stop printing ONE thing because it offends ONE groups, then the door is open to ANY group stopping anything that they deem offensive from appearing in the paper, and then the press might as well close their doors and go home - because the freedom of the press and the first amendement is dead.

It might be a new low to you - but it might be an exciting and uplifting thing to various other people on campus.  

I completely understand your personal outrage - and I find it vaguely distasteful as well (although no more than Viagara commercials all over billboards and the TV), but I don't see the point in trying to suppress or censor a college newspaper from printing whatever they want.

If you want to change it, I'd encourage you to get involved with the newpaper and become active in their editorail process - that's probably more likely to effect some kind of change that to just whine about it.

But hey - maybe you'll be lucky and the university president or chancellor will be outraged as well.

ETA:  I do AGREE that the tax dollar thing is the potentially outrageous thing - since you cannot "vote with your wallet" and drive the paper out of business - which would obviously happen in a market if a paper printed stuff that offended most "customers".  maybe you should also contact state representatives/senators or whoever might be the relevant state-level person to talk to.  

DK-Prof, I think I owe you a bit of background about the Rebel Yell and UNLV in general.

Just yesterday, the student government approved funds to pay Michael Moore $12,000 plus the additional costs of $18,000 to speak at the Thomas & Mack auditorium.

Who pays for that?  Indirectly, the taxpayers.  Directly, my tuition costs.  The same goes for the paper which takes in revenue from these ads and could give a damn about appropriateness as long as it fits a liberal agenda.

As far as infiltrating the paper for change, the Rebel Yell famously does not return phone calls for staff writers of a conservative mindset.  Last year, a conservative student published a pro-Columbus article for Columbus Day.  Every issue of the paper was taken by liberals and thrown in the trash.  The writer was fired from the paper's staff.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
DK-Prof, I think I owe you a bit of background about the Rebel Yell and UNLV in general.

Just yesterday, the student government approved funds to pay Michael Moore $12,000 plus the additional costs of $18,000 to speak at the Thomas & Mack auditorium.

Who pays for that?  Indirectly, the taxpayers.  Directly, my tuition costs.  The same goes for the paper which takes in revenue from these ads and could give a damn about appropriateness as long as it fits a liberal agenda.

As far as infiltrating the paper for change, the Rebel Yell famously does not return phone calls for staff writers of a conservative mindset.  Last year, a conservative student published a pro-Columbus article for Columbus Day.  Every issue of the paper was taken by liberals and thrown in the trash.  The writer was fired from the paper's staff.

Thanks for the info.

I agree that it sucks - but your explanation also indicates to me that you will be wasting your time to complain about this.  I think IF you're going to complain, it'll be through your state reps, and not through the university.  As a side note, if the university is so damn lilberal, it might not be the best place for you - since I imagine that kind of culture will drive you crazy.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Whats the big deal?

It's just a baby?

Kill it.

SGtar15

Got my coat hanger ready!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#19]
If men got pregnant instead of women, we'd of already invented abortion vending machines.

Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#20]
"Las Vegas:  What Happens Here Stays Here!"

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whats the big deal?

It's just a baby?

Kill it.

SGtar15

Got my coat hanger ready!

Good man...I'll get the Shop Vac!

SGatr15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top