Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 1:46:51 PM EDT
Is it necessary to tip if you're just picking up your food since they're not serving you drinks or anything?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
hell no!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I tip the servers at Sonic...so that should tell you something.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't tip when i do carry-out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes as I understand it the bartender usually is responsible for curb side service and bartenders work off tips... dont be a cheap ass youre already to lazy to walk inside to pick up your food jkin
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My daughter used to work the curbside at Ruby Tuesdays. They get paid waitress rate, which is less than minimum wage. They need tips too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Tip it is.  I didn't know if they got regular hourly wage or the low wage + tips.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Not at Applebee's since they never actually make it out to my car.  I always end up waiting five or ten minutes and watching 5 or 6 waitresses walk by before I get fed up and go in.

Chili's, on the other hand, has great curb-side service and I always tip a buck or two.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't use Applebys - but I do use Outback's curbside takeaway.  I will tip if they get to me ASAP, with hot food.  Otherwise no.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not tip for pickup.  If they are required to wait upon me (like a real waitress) then yes, I do tip and I do tip well.

Whether the people working the counter are getting paid shit wages or not it is not my concern.  I tip for service, not charity.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually give 'em a buck or so, but not anywhere near a "normal" tip (10 - 15%)

The way I see it, there's the possibility of them "serving" a LOT more people via curbside, and they're not doing THAT much work, so while I'll give them a tip (for saving me the trip in) I'm not super generous either.

BTW, redleg13a....how is the curbside service at the local applebees?  the service at the ones in KC varies a lot from location to location, just wondering how this one was
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it just me or does the food you pick up always suck, when they put the food in the styrofoam containers and close the lid its still pretty hot so all the steam collects and makes the food nasty.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The only "To Go" place I tip is Hooters.
And Sonic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is it just me or does the food you pick up always suck, when they put the food in the styrofoam containers and close the lid its still pretty hot so all the steam collects and makes the food nasty.  

Quality does go down - and forget 'crispy'.  However first thing I do is puch a bunch of holes in the top with my knife.  Food doesn't get so soggy, but you lose heat quicker - drive fast!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
NO
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I usually give 'em a buck or so, but not anywhere near a "normal" tip (10 - 15%)

The way I see it, there's the possibility of them "serving" a LOT more people via curbside, and they're not doing THAT much work, so while I'll give them a tip (for saving me the trip in) I'm not super generous either.

BTW, redleg13a....how is the curbside service at the local applebees?  the service at the ones in KC varies a lot from location to location, just wondering how this one was

I had to wait a couple minutes because there was already someone there waiting on food, but other than that it was pretty quick.  They took care of the bill quickly and got me my food.  No complaints.  The food was hot, too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
"Cough up a buck, you cheap bastard!"
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
The reason you are supposed to tip is because most of they time they use one of the below minimum wage girls.

They actually take the entire order, put it all in the box, and take it to your car.
It is the only way they make money.

You already spent a bunch of money on your overpriced food, so to you cheap bastards that don't tip:  you suck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My daughter used to work the curbside at Ruby Tuesdays. They get paid waitress rate, which is less than minimum wage. They need tips too.

I'm not in the habit of paying people according to what they "need" -- I pay them what they earn.  I'm sure your daughter is a nice girl, but she's not "earning" a full tip by simply carrying a bag out to the car and taking someone's money inside.

I tip if the weather is nasty, but other than that, not at curbside, sorry.  If the curbside waiters don't like it they should work inside, or negotiate for at least minimum wage to do the curbside stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The reason you are supposed to tip is because most of they time they use one of the below minimum wage girls.

They actually take the entire order, put it all in the box, and take it to your car.
It is the only way they make money.

You already spent a bunch of money on your overpriced food, so to you cheap bastards that don't tip:  you suck.

Applebee's (or in my case, Macaroni Grill's) crappy employment practices are not my problem.  I tip ridiculously well if I eat in the restaurant and get full service.  I don't tip at all when no tip is earned, i.e. takeout/drive through.  

It is not my fault someone agreed to work for less than minimum wage.  When I worked at Baskin Robbins as a teenager, I did WAY more than the curbside waiters at Macaroni Grill do, and I never saw a tip in two years.  Oh well, my choice.  If I had wanted tips I would have become a real waitress -- but I didn't, because I KNEW IT WAS HARDER and frankly not worth it to me as a high school student at the time.  

Good service is worth extra cash.  Taking an order and throwing some stuff in a box is not.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I tip $2-3 when picking up at Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]
no
I'm sorry, but lately everyone and their mother thinks they're automatically entitled to a tip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top