Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 7:48:44 AM EDT
Are the utilities up and working? Local commies say it's down 15+ hours  a day. (it being electricity)
Are schools open and in session?
Are telephone lines working?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
hmmm no one in the arfcomm army knows?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#3]
cool
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait a while, eventually someone IN Iraq will post...

Remember the time diff...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
ah!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
More electricity is being generated now than before OIF started.  The difference is that Saddam used to short the rest of the country to ensure full service to Baghdad and the Sunni areas.  Now the power is being distributed evenly throughout the country.  Shortages do occur - especially in the summer when demand is high (for AC) and rolling brown/blackouts are common.  Infrastructure was in much worse shape than thought before the war.  After Saddam fell the indigineous populace stripped utility lines and generating stations of cable.  Most of the small town electricity grid is illegally connected i.e. the populace just wires in to existing lines.  Unprofessionally strung electrical lines that traverse streets are a hazard to troops exposed in the gun turrets of motor vehicles because they are not very high (and are practically impossible to see on goggles).  

I'm not in Iraq, but I get to read the CENTCOM (and CPA when it existed) briefings when workload permits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top