Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 4:35:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Kind of junky science:

"The researchers found that after two months, females exposed to the breastfeeding pads who had regular partners experienced a 24% increase in sexual desire. Women without partners had a 17% increase in sexual fantasies. "

I suspect there are some lurking variables there--like women who took part in a "sex" study found themselves more focused on sex.  How do you quantify a 17% increase in something like fantasies?  Or a 24% increase in "desire?"  "Gee, honey, I feel 24% more sexual this month than last month..."

Oh, and swiping pads on one woman's tits and armpits, and then giving those pads to another woman to swipe under her nose is just gross.  Reminds me of some mens' obessions with sniffing soiled panties.

Also a sign of junk science is the concept of chemosignals--can't be smelled or otherwise perceived, but somehow have a magical effect on people.  Uh, yeah, whatever.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]

I suspect there are some lurking variables there--.......

Don't really have much info so I'm hesitant to defend the study but, if it's a junk study then why didn't the people in the control group (they're still in a --sex-- study remember) report the same improvement as the experimental group?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#3]
It seems to be a fairly decent study actually.

It is sufficent to prove that there IS something there, even if they don't know WHICH chemical is doing it.

The Perfume industry has worked for a thousand years with research that was significantly LESS scientific than this...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:12:32 AM EDT
[#4]
No need for a study, I could have told them that their conclusion was true.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No need for a study, I could have told them that their conclusion was true.

GunLvr

Yeah, but they had to prove that it did this without SEEING the breast...

SEEING the brest is very much a KNOWN aphrodisiac
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#6]
How does that fit in with this?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Uh, it doesnt.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, it doesnt.

Sorry I could not resist.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

damn wedge.  that's nasty...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's cat's fault.  She planted that web page in my memory a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel worse for having seen it myself.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, breastfeeding definetly makes me horny.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Kind of junky science:

"The researchers found that after two months, females exposed to the breastfeeding pads who had regular partners experienced a 24% increase in sexual desire. Women without partners had a 17% increase in sexual fantasies. "

I suspect there are some lurking variables there--like women who took part in a "sex" study found themselves more focused on sex.  How do you quantify a 17% increase in something like fantasies?  Or a 24% increase in "desire?"  "Gee, honey, I feel 24% more sexual this month than last month..."

Oh, and swiping pads on one woman's tits and armpits, and then giving those pads to another woman to swipe under her nose is just gross.  Reminds me of some mens' obessions with sniffing soiled panties.

Also a sign of junk science is the concept of chemosignals--can't be smelled or otherwise perceived, but somehow have a magical effect on people.  Uh, yeah, whatever.  

Chemosignals sound like a type of pheremone. I didn't read the article, but bugs and other animals have been getting sexually aroused from pheremones for many a moon. We can't see or smell them, but they affect a very primitive part of our brain. So the story goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top