Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 4:11:18 AM EDT

This one is a bit different since there is a video of shooting from the patrol car's camera.

To see the video, go to link on Tennessean home page and scroll down Tennessean Home Page with Video Link

Officer Shoots Dog

Chief backs officer who fatally shot dog in park

By CHRISTIAN BOTTORFF
Staff Writer

Hendersonville mayor sees video, disagrees

A Hendersonville police officer was justified when he shot and killed a leashed 60-pound chow after it bit an animal control officer in front of children, Chief David L. Key said yesterday.

But not everyone, including the city's mayor, agrees.

''I am disappointed that this dog was shot, and it appears from the video that the officers had other less drastic options if they had thought ahead,'' Hendersonville Mayor Jim Fuqua said in a statement. ''I have not had an opportunity to discuss this with the Hendersonville chief of police, the city attorney or the officers involved.''

Key said the shooting was unfortunate.

''I hate that the animal had to be put down, but I am thankful that the situation resolved before an innocent bystander could be bitten,'' Key said in a released statement about the department investigation into the incident.

Hendersonville Officer Tim Torok remains on duty; Animal Control officer Amanda Hollandsworth was treated and released at a medical facility, Key's statement said.

According to police and its video, the shooting occurred Tuesday at Drakes Creek Park North, where children, ages 5-7, were practicing soccer.

Hollandsworth was responding to a citizen's call at 5:18 p.m. about a black chow running loose.

Initially, the dog was ''passive,'' said Lt. B.J. Riley, who oversees animal control.

Hollandsworth put a leash on the dog and tried to take it to her truck.

It was then that the dog suddenly ''became vicious'' and bit the animal control officer, Riley said. She had bruising and redness on her leg, he said.

The animal control officer called for backup and continued holding the dog on a leash for three minutes until Torok arrived, Riley said. During that time, the dog sat at the end of the leash and was calm, he said.

The dog attacked again after Torok arrived.

''The dog again became vicious, attempting to bite other officers,'' Key's statement said. ''The police officer fired one shot, in a downward direction, fatally wounding the dog.

''At no time was any citizen in danger during the incident,'' the chief's statement said.

It wasn't clear exactly how many children were nearby at the time of the shooting, although the children apparently were in view and some watched the shooting take place, said David LeMarbre, city parks director.

Riley said Hendersonville policy requires that an officer use the most passive force necessary to subdue an animal.

The animal control officer was trying to keep the dog away from the children, Riley said.

He said the officer did not have time to use a catch-pole, which is a long pole with a loop of wire on the end used to catch animals from a distance.

Plus, he said, leashes are more humane.

''We try to use the most passive method,'' Riley said.

''The leash is easier on the animal when we're trying to catch them. The pole cuts off air circulation.''

Riley said police received calls from residents who were concerned about the police use of force.

Also, witnesses provided statements to police that the dog was not acting vicious at the time of the shooting; other witnesses told Hendersonville investigators that there were concerns about the dog's demeanor, Riley said.

The dog was a chow mix, and its name and owners were not known yesterday, Riley said. The dog did not have a collar. It is being kept in animal control offices for further investigation, he said.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I told you to get in the car!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:40:11 AM EDT
[#4]
ok...everybody's here.

have at it.

That was a Pit Bull --- who really cares ???
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey! Bush is winning thier poll !  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Dogs are people too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

But not everyone, including the city's mayor, agrees.

''I am disappointed that this dog was shot, and it appears from the video that the officers had other less drastic options if they had thought ahead,'' Hendersonville Mayor Jim Fuqua said in a statement. ''I have not had an opportunity to discuss this with the Hendersonville chief of police, the city attorney or the officers involved.''

What other options? Thinking ahead? Theres no time to think ahead. He's the one with time on his hands to think about how else it could have been done differently. What other options does he have in mind? I don't see him making any suggestions. Sounds like a Mayor MMQB'ing the call.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
The animal control office had the dog on a leash when the officer arrived.  The dog was not acting agressive.  The bite on the animal control officer had already occurred at this time; the bite did not break the skin.

The officer took the leash to help out the animal control officer.

The candy-ass officer shot the dog even though the dog was not trying to bite anyone.

Thankfully this shooting is on tape in good light so maybe the candy-ass officer will suffer some consequences.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:55:09 AM EDT
[#9]

I think the dog catcher screwed up and created a bad situation for the officer.  If she had done her job, the dog never would have been shot.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The animal control office had the dog on a leash when the officer arrived.  The dog was not acting agressive.  The bite on the animal control officer had already occurred at this time; the bite did not break the skin.

The officer took the leash to help out the animal control officer.

The candy-ass officer shot the dog even though the dog was not trying to bite anyone.

Thankfully this shooting is on tape in good light so maybe the candy-ass officer will suffer some consequences.

+1
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#12]
It didn't even look like it was attacking, more like trying to get away from them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:20:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh the horror.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It didn't even look like it was attacking, more like trying to get away from them.

Attempted escape of a  vicious  dog in a park -- justified shoot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Moral of the story : If you say you love your Dog than you had better be responsible with it because once it get's to this stage it can happen , regardless of the method.......Hammer out
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Stupid f(king people. An animal control officer, works with animals and they don't even seem to know that the problem obviously started when they attempted to pull the dog with a noose around it's neck and it panicked. It was obviously aggressive in defense.  
                                                      -  stupid woman, animal control officer    -  check

And some fu(kin supercop jumped at the opportunity to use his sidearm.
                                                     -  bigman supercop comment    -  check

Someone shoot these fu(ktards. And the chief of police.
                                                       -  fanatic emotional response      -  check
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The dog did not have a collar.

That's about all I needed to see to draw my conclusion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top