Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/13/2004 8:06:53 AM EDT
Ok, we've called for all these other countries to "give up their WMD programs" what happens when it is asked of us to get rid of ours?

apparently we have quite the stockpile of nukes, bio and chemical weapons.

What happens when we are asked to "disarm" for our  preemptive strike philosophy?

Will we "disarm" ? or will we tell the rest of the world as usual.

"do as we say, not as we do"?

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think everyone knows American power is necessary for stability of global markets.  No one wants to disarm us.

Though I suppose this could change in the future.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
and when that change comes?

Chris

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#3]
In the end there can be only one
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
and when that change comes?

Chris

Some airforce nerds in a bunker in the midwest somewhere turn a couple of keys?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
We'll comply when they have a military force capable of coming here and enforcing their "request".
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok, we've called for all these other countries to "give up their WMD programs" what happens when it is asked of us to get rid of ours?

What happens when we are asked to "disarm" for our  preemptive strike philosophy?

Chris

Well, we demand that convicted felons disarm without asking the same of honest citizens.  We demand that convicted pedphiles register with the government and keep track of them via public websites, but we don't ask the same of honest citizens.  Judges often order computer criminals to not own or come in contact with computers for years at a time, but we don't demand the same from honest citizens.  That's why no one is asking the US, or Britain, or any nation that has shown a respect for human rights and national sovereignty to disarm...at least no one who is taken seriously.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In the end there can be only one

Fuckin aye! right.......
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#8]
sounds like some germans in the 30's and 40's

Chris

Quoted:
We'll comply when they have a military force capable of coming here and enforcing their "request".

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Chris

Quoted:

Not really.  I just don't believe that we'd honor any such request.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#10]
but expect everyone else to. wow, no wonder we're having such a hard time.

Chris

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No, sounds like every country that has ever existed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The fallacy of the argument is that the USA is equal to every other country in the world.

This just isn't true.

To clarify, I'm not saying I'm better than somebody born elsewhere in the world.  I'm saying our nation is better.  Despite its faults and warts, as Ken Hamblin said, "Pick a better country."

We have our imperfections, yet there is no place else that offers the opportunity and liberty of the United States of America.

The USA has had nuclear weapons since the mid-1940s.  The only two that were used in anger were employed to put an end to WWII.  Since then, we've had them, but as a deterrence force, not as a first-strike weapon.  As for those who say deterrence doesn't work, look at the Cold War and its outcome.

The main threat of nuclear weapons today comes from demented people (such as terrorists or the North Koreans, for example) who are likely to use them as a first strike option.

For the USA to dismantle its arsenal and disarm would be naive and suicidal.  Anybody who advocates such a plan is not living in reality.  The people who oppose us in the UN don't want to hold hands and sing Kumbaya with us.  They want to bury us.  They want to relegate us to third rate status and plunder our industrial know-how for gain without cost.  And yes, some of them just want to kill us.

That's the way it is.

If you want to hit the "press to test" button on this worldview, go find an al Qaeda member, hand him a flower, and give him a hug.  Then watch in amazement when he carves your heart from your chest.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Chris

First of all, we no longer have Chemical or Bio weapons. Second I'm all for giving up nukes as well, but not first.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Margaret Thatcher nailed the nuclear disarmament issue.

Even if we got rid of them, we'd still have the information needed to make more in case we determined we needed them.

Thus, we'll just keep what we have.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Chris

Everyone?  Hardly the case, is it?

We're "actively discouraging " certain nations from developing WMD due to the likelihood of their use against us or others.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I completely disagree that we "don't have chem and bio weapons."

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

First of all, we no longer have Chemical or Bio weapons. Second I'm all for giving up nukes as well, but not first.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#17]
so when we are actively discouraged?
we'll say what??

that's right. no chance

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Everyone?  Hardly the case, is it?

We're "actively discouraging " certain nations from developing WMD due to the likelihood of their use against us or others.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Chris

Because somehow we're supposed to believe you have that security clearance?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It depends on how you define "have."

Possess?  Yes, there are stockpiles that are in the process of being destroyed.

Deployed, ready or intended for use?  Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Chris

That's completely your right, but you are wrong. America has outlawed the use of Chemical or Bio weapons. Any use of these weapons against us has been put in the same category as Nukes(WMD), and the response will be as such.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#22]
nope. I love this country. BUT when it is wrong. I will say so.

Chris

Quoted:
You must hate america.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I live about an hour from Anniston, AL. I seem to remember that they built a facility to help destroy our stockpile chemical and biological weapons. So yes, we do have them. But they are shrinking in numbers quickly until we will have no more.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I live about an hour from Anniston, AL. I seem to remember that they built a facility to help destroy our stockpile chemical and biological weapons. So yes, we do have them. But they are shrinking in numbers quickly until we will have no more.

Yes, you are partially right. Not all of the chemicals that have been removed from the weapons are destroyed yet.  The weapons themselves are no longer functional, and are now illegal according to US Law.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Chris

Quoted:
You must hate america.

Yes, but in the presentation your so far misguided and unsubstantiated supposition on the incorrectness of this country, you've shown a remarkably poor understanding of the internation arms situation, specifically revolving around it's history.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

And of course in your view it's ALWAYS wrong.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Chris

Quoted:
You must hate america.

Our chem/bio stock has been transported to disposal facilities, and most of it has been destroyed.  What remains is in the process of being destroyed.    As another poster stated, to us a chem/bio attack = a nuke attack, and we respond appropriately.  So we have no need for such ineffective weapons as chem/bio when the much more effective nuke will do.

We haven't been 'wrong' yet, where it matters.  So you want to defend Saddam, saying it is our fault he killed women and children, all because we couldn't afford to let Iran win the Iran-Iraq war?  That is just asinine.  If Iran had won, the world would be in a very bad place right now, with Iran controlling the entire ME, with Israel probably wiped off the map, and we would be in very bad shape economically.  The USSR would likely have never fallen.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#28]
if we were so worried about Iran, why did we sell them arms  secretly during that time?

Hmmmm, Iran is a danger, let's give them weapons.

now that's thinking.

chris

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Chris

Quoted:

Now you are beginning to learn how the real world works. We are a world governed by the force of arms. Human nature is evil. You never disarm unless it is in your best interests namely when the USA offers to help your country into the 21 century instead of going to war with you. Something tells me you will not get this anytime soon. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#30]
yup, bullies will run the world, til someone hits them hard enough to knock them down.

I guess I'd better get my BOB out and get ready.
we're the bully now.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Quoted:

Now you are beginning to learn how the real world works. We are a world governed by the force of arms. Human nature is evil. You never disarm unless it is in your best interests namely when the USA offers to help your country into the 21 century instead of going to war with you. Something tells me you will not get this anytime soon. Planerench out.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Chris

Quoted:
You must hate america.

RIIGHT. We have unilaterally stopped producing chemical and biological weapons and have destroyed and are currently destroying our remaining stores of such weapons at Umatilla Army depot. Check on the environmentalist whining about the incinerators there. Hell, we can't even disarm without getting someone angry with us. BTW we are seldom wrong in terms of how we treat the rest of the world considering the power we weild. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
yup, bullies will run the world, til someone hits them hard enough to knock them down.

we're the bully now.

So I guess you consider your local cop on the beat a bully too then.  What am I saying?  Of COURSE you do...the way all liberals do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Chris

You see Chris, America is the most powerful Nation on Earth.  We are a force for good.  Or at the very least, we would like to see that the world is not destroyed.

You may think that our having these weapons, while telling nations like Iran, Korea, and Iraq, that they can't, is somehow hypocritical, or unfair.

You feel that way, probably, for a number of reasons:

1) Lack of critical thinking.

2) No knowledge of history.

3) Inability to imagine what Iran or syria might do with a Nuke.

4) You are a troll.

I suspect any number these reasons may apply.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#34]
we are seldom wrong in terms of how we treat the rest of the world considering the power we weild.

WE wouldn't admit being wrong anyway. well not this admin anywho.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
4) You are a troll.

You didn't need the other reasons.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Name me the administration that would, please.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

we're the bully now.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Quoted:

No, Troll , we are the kid that stood up against the bully and now rush to the aid of others that have been smacked down. If really believe that we are so mean toward the rest of the world you obviously have not seen how the world operates. Give yourself about ten years you will be mature enough then to appreciate what you have in the good ol' USA. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Chris

BUSTED!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
if we were so worried about Iran, why did we sell them arms  secretly during that time?

Hmmmm, Iran is a danger, let's give them weapons.

now that's thinking.

chris

We sold them some Hawk medium altitude air defense systems and a a couple squadrons of F-14s.  Why? Because we wanted Iran to broker the return of the US hostages in Lebanon.  Didn't work all that well, but the proceeds of the sales went toward eliminating a communist government in this hemisphere (aka Iran-Contra).  Money well spent, IMO.

It was known as realpolitik.  Dealing with the realities on the ground in the best manner possible.  Not pretty, and usually less than effective, but short of total war, the best we could do.

We are not saints.  Nor do we expect to be.  National security, and the lives of our citizens, take precedence over any niceties, or your sense of right and wrong.  Suck it up and drive on.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
we are seldom wrong in terms of how we treat the rest of the world considering the power we weild.

Chris

"Admit being wrong"

Why?

To what ends?

So that people like us?

We are The Most Powerful Nation In The History of The World, not a person.
Let alone an insecure weepy man who says he's sorry in hopes that people will like him.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

You see Chris, America is the most powerful Nation on Earth.  We used to be force for good.  Or at the very least, we would like to see that the world is not destroyed.

You may think that our having these weapons, while telling nations like Iran, Korea, and Iraq, that they can't, is somehow hypocritical, or unfair.

1) Lack of critical thinking.  I doubt I could be more critical

2) No knowledge of history.  watching it repeat itself as we speak

3) Inability to imagine what Iran or syria might do with a Nuke.the pakis are no different, bt they have nukes now, NK the same thing. no worries from them though.right?

4) You are a troll.nope, I just don't agree with you.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#42]
busted what? I never said I liked bush co.

how is that "busted" ?

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

BUSTED!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#43]
well hell then, that about gives free reign to do whatever the hell we want. let's take over the whole world. hell, if we nuke every country, it'd be a world of americas in no time.

How could they not love us ?

the nazis thought the same, and there is ALWAYS someone who can knock down the bully. even this country isn't immune from that.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

"Admit being wrong"

Why?

To what ends?

So that people like us?

We are The Most Powerful Nation In The History of The World, not a person.
Let alone an insecure weepy man who says he's sorry in hopes that people will like him.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

You see Chris, America is the most powerful Nation on Earth.  We used to be force for good.   (So you insinuate that we are evil.  I suggest that you quickly go and join the forces of good and fight us, your country.)  Or at the very least, we would like to see that the world is not destroyed.

1) Lack of critical thinking.  I doubt I could be more critical  (So sad. You don't even know what the term "critical thinking" means.  That explains alot.)

2) No knowledge of history.  watching it repeat itself as we speak  (How, pray tell?  Are you going to once again insinuate that we are like the Nazis?  I will then suggest that you take up arms and fight against us. )

3) Inability to imagine what Iran or syria might do with a Nuke.the pakis are no different, bt they have nukes now, NK the same thing. no worries from them though.right?  ("no different"? "same thing"?  Oh, you really DON'T know what critical thinking means, do you?)

4) You are a troll.nope, I just don't agree with you.  (Agree or disagree has nothing to do with it.  It is you intention with this thread that makes you a troll.)

If America is a bad as you claim, you really should go fight for "the other side".  Clearly THEY are the good guys.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#45]
rather see changes from here. that's why Bush won't get my vote and neither will kerry.

neither deserve it.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#46]

well hell then, that about gives free reign to do whatever the hell we want. let's take over the whole world. hell, if we nuke every country, it'd be a world of americas in no time.

How could they not love us ?

the nazis thought the same, and there is ALWAYS someone who can knock down the bully. even this country isn't immune from that.

Chris

This is the point. We are not trying to take over the world. If we were, there would be a lot more than 50 states.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I doubt I could be more critical

Of the US?  No, you couldn't.  Of yourself?  Yes, you could.  "Critical thinking" is obviously another of those terms whose definition you don't know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
rather see changes from here. that's why Bush won't get my vote and neither will kerry.

neither deserve it.

Chris

Actually, the more you yak the more obvious it is that YOU don't deserve your vote.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

neither deserve it.

Chris

Ahhh, so taking up arms against your own country is an option that you just don't choose to exercise.

But you DO see it as a valid option....

...Because you think America is THAT evil.

Fuck off traitor.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#50]
"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."

Liberals hate another statement that's a play on the above quote, "Might makes Right" but you know what?  It's true.  Might does make right.  When two countries disagree, what determines who is right and who is wrong?  Whichever country has the ability to determine so.  When Germany invaded Poland in 1939, Germany thought it was right, that they had the right to invade.  Britain and France felt otherwise and declared war.  Now in the long run, Germany was defeated.  But if Germany had won WWII, it would have been a different matter.  They would have been able to invade Poland because no one else would have had the power to stop them.

When Saddam invaded Kuwait, he had a precedence for it.  Kuwait used to be a province of Iraq before the British screwed everything up.  But the United States said, no, Iraq does not have the right to invade Kuwait, and it was our might that made it possible for us to say that.

As the United States, we have the ability to determine who should possess nukes and who shouldn't and that ability is derived from our might.  North Korea is allowed to say that we shouldn't have nukes, but can they enforce that?  No, but we can say that North Korea shouldn't possess nukes, and we have the ability to enforce that declaration if we so choosed to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top