Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 6:14:28 PM EDT
Tom Hanks in Castaway: "Look what I have created! I've created Galil"

It's built off an IMI "Sporter" receiver that Northridge (brain freeze) NHM Co. was selling ~ 3 years ago, and an early ARM kit from Central America that JLD was selling around the same time frame.  I was lucky because the my grip wood (he said grip wood) was in workable shape, whereas some others who received these kits got ones so abused as to be worthless.  The bore was destroyed, but it didn't matter because you can't use the original barrel anyway (unless you are really lucky with your headspace timing AND you got a worthwhile bore).  The kit is had a barrel date of '74, and you can see that the flash suppressor is the early birdcage type.

I really bit off more than I could chew in building this, and without the push of an expensive kit & receiver, I'd probably have given up.  It has to be timed and positioned in ALL dimensions and you have to drill your own gas port.  The only thing done for you is a pre riveted in trigger guard that comes with the receiver.  However I eventually did it 100% in my shed.  A milled AK type has to have 5 US parts to become 'domestic', so the parts are:

- Hammer, Trigger, & Disconnector - G2 from Tapco,
- Grip- ACE USA - Galil type (it seems like they produced this because people liked putting them on AKs, so that really helped me out in making this look authentic.  An AKM type would have looked off)
- Piston - Made by Derrick at AZEX, but distributed through Federal Arms.

Apologies for the resolution of the photo, but I don't want to consume my free bandwith too quickly.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet rifle. Really makes me want one again. I've got a shed, hmmmmmm......
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent! I love Galils... Guess I'll never have one.

Did you get a new barrel or is this a collection piece only type of thing?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn nice, good job!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
A quiz...Can you see what's missing?  I didn't install 3 (you could interpret it as 4 as well) items.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A quiz...Can you see what's missing?  I didn't install 3 (you could interpret it as 4 as well) items.

Looks like a fine job!

I looked, Hell...I can't tell.

Do I want one?  Yep.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Excellent! I love Galils... Guess I'll never have one.

Did you get a new barrel or is this a collection piece only type of thing?

New barrels are not rare, and northridge was selling them.  However the barrels are unlike many factory barrels in the respect that they are like bolt action barrels as they are clean from breech to muzzle.  No gas port and no 'pin retaining slots' are present.  Those items are taken care of during assembly of individual rifles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Still no takers?  I'll check tomorrow...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Day crew...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Sling, cheek piece, bayonet?

I know almost nothing about Galil rifles. Looks like a great project, though. Thanks for showing it off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm gonna guess bayonet lug, Sling Swivels, and a Star of David?

Nice build - I'd never undertake something so adventerous - but hey, you gotta have a Galil, you gotta have a Galil, right?  

Man, I wish I had a private shed where I could go and grip wood.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#11]
NICE!!!

always wanted a Galil in 7.62.

I've amassed enough spare parts to build a DMC comp. AR. Just need the stripped lower.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Blinker fluid, suppressor bearing, bayonette lube dispenser and laser designator?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The following were not installed:

- Secondary selector - Galils have a lever which can be operated by your thumb above the left side of pistol grip that is connected to the selector axis.  However, leverage on the lever makes it a tad hard for the thumb to operate, plus it works backwards on semis (forward for safe, backward for fire), so I didn't bother.  I could always install it later.

- Carry handle -  Unlike a FAL which has a carry handle that is tight in the receiver (and can be permanently pushed aside.  This handle is somewhat loose and able to flop around.  I could always install it later, but I passed for now.  The rear retainer for the handguard serves as its mounting point, and you can just barely see where it would fit on the right side in this photo.

- Night sights (front and rear) - They are dead.  Perhaps I'll install them later for technical accuracy, but since they are dead, it wasn't a priority.  Besides, cleaning and refinishing them may do more harm than good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]
very nice!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice job.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
handguard rivets.

Don't let flash tricks fool you.  Those are the stock rivets (at least how I received them).  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]
LOOKS alot better than the one I built.
OH wait I'm too chicken shit to build one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#19]
NICE !!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top