Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/12/2004 10:23:53 AM EDT
Lets say you have a troubled animal.  Like maybe a stray cat that is giving you trouble or a pet dog that has turned bad.

Do you do the killing yourself?

Why or why not?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope, I used to do it myself but my vet went to school for a long time to learn how to do it a lot better than I ever could. A .45 to the back of the head while their nose is buried in fresh ham, tuna, or whatever is OK if you have to do it yourself.

My vet OD's them on Valium, while they're laying in my arms. What a way to go! When my time comes, I won't even be afforded that same courtesy. I'll probably be left to wither in screaming agony in a hospital bed while medicine incorporated loots and pillages what little life savings I ever may have saved to leave to my family. Is that fugged-up or what?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
[cue music]

Old Yeller...

Come back, Yeller...

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I've go no problems putting down sick and suffering pets.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I once had to put down a hamster from my GF's sister that had many many tumors
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no qualms about dropping the hammer on a troubling animal.  Cats, dogs, coyotes, etc. that come in my yard/field and threaten my animals are dispatched immediately, just as I would expect any other farmer to do if it were my animal on their property.

It is much harder if the animal was a pet and companion, but I still don't hesitate if it will end said companion's misery.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Do you euthanize your own pets...

Obsess much, Sgt.?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I've done  it a couple times but it wasn't so much a "pet" as it was an stray that was in distress. My Baby Girl's(my cat that I adopted from the barn)mother had a litter and got one stuck in her and it died. She couldn't pass it and rather then let her die a lingering death from infection I put a 32acp in the back of her head. It was over very quickly and it wasn't easy to do by at least she didn't suffer. I don't think  I could do that  to a pet though. I'd rather take them to the vet and let him put them to sleep. I'm still beating my self up over not being able to go back with Handout when she was put to sleep, Baby Girl reminds me so much of Handout, it's like I got my cat back, which helps heal the hurt a bit.  I guess I love my pets too much or something. I can't stand to see an animal suffer.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Obsess much, Sgt.?

No shit. Find a new hobby for christ sake.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I pay the pound $10 and they do it and properly dispose of the body.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I do the deed...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are you offering your services, Sarge??!!

Actually, I had planned to ask my beagle's vet IF he could give me some tablets that could put Scooter to sleep, when the time came.

I was told that in Plano, the vets will NOT do that for fear that folks would be burying their animals in their back yards, which, IF you can believe it, is against city ordinances!

I was also given to understand that vets out in the country have no trouble giving out such pills.

I would never, ever use a weapon to put down my faithful companion, and IF I couldn't do it myself, I would have the vet do it with my dog held in my arms.

That is only fit and proper, that I should be there when my companion leaves this mortal coil.

Eric The(SaddenedJustThinkingAboutIt)Hun

+1

I took my Boxer to the vet, and held her forehead to mine, looking her straight in the eyes and whispering to her that everything would be OK as the vet administered the injection...  I buried her in the back yard in the shade of the crepe myrtles where she would often go to relax.  

Lord, I miss my dog.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
+1

I took my Boxer to the vet, and held her forehead to mine, looking her straight in the eyes and whispering to her that everything would be OK as the vet administered the injection...  I buried her in the back yard in the shade of the crepe myrtles where she would often go to relax.  

Lord, I miss my dog.  

Damn, that brings tears to my eyes just reading it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
two of my dogs site on my fireplace, no they arent stuffed, however it did cross my mind.
But I couldn't put down some thing I love. Also I would spend $100,000 before having to put my dogs to sleep or what ever amount it cost. Money isn't worth shit but my happiness is.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#15]
thankfully I haven't had to make that decision. I have had 3 pets die since I was a kid, all 3 died in their sleep, all 3 buried in the yard in their favorite resting spot. I have 3 dogs now and I have to say, I hope they go the same way. I couldn't put a bullet in their head.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Obsess much, Sgt.?

No doubt, you have to love the internet. It's a place where fools can sit around all day and post questions about killing pets?

Why don't you go hunt bear with a bow since you are such a killer, you have issues!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Does accidentally flushing a hamster count?

Can hamsters swim?
I don’t know.  Let’s put him in the toilet.

Yep he’s swimming…

But how well can he swim?
Flushhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Where did he go!
I don’t know…
WAAAAAAAAA! I’m telling mom!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I would if I had to, but our vet does house calls. Now, someone elses pet, or a stray hanging around our yard, or one of my step moms hated animals, I could do and not give a fuck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does accidentally flushing a hamster count?

Can hamsters swim?
I don’t know.  Let’s put him in the toilet.

Yep he’s swimming…

But how well can he swim?
Flushhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Where did he go!
I don’t know…
WAAAAAAAAA! I’m telling mom!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#20]
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

-Immanuel Kant
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn straight, I'm a retrosexual. We do out own kilin, and sometimes we need to kill our own.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

-Immanuel Kant

Tell me...when did I seriously advocate crueality to animals?

I ask this because it is OBVIOUS you have no idea the story behind me and cats!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

Lord, I miss my dog.  

Damn, that brings tears to my eyes just reading it.

+1.  Sad stuff there.  And my wife wonders why I'm not crazy about getting a new pet.  It's bringing home a future small tragedy -- but at the same time, they're wonderful while they're there.  Damn, it's a tough call.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#25]
[teary eyed] Carrying my German Shepard into the vet for the injection was among thee most difficult things I'd ever done.  [/teary eyed] She was no longer able to stand & walk on her own.

Pulling the trigger on my English Setter after she was hit by a car was equally tough.  The driver of the car was the county animal control officer. The prick drove off the road to nail her.  That shitferbrains doesn't work for my county any longer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#26]

I'd really like to tell my possum story
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Id really like to hear it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#28]
We had a cattle dog that decided it was time to tear up a brand new Mud room addition to our house.

She shit all over the place, and chewed up a lot of fine wood.

Dad saw the mess, and told me to take the dog to the pound, and i told him it was 50 miles away and cost money.

He then proceeded to give me a ruger P95 9mm.

Then i shot the dog, and buried her in the pasture.

i don't miss that dog one bit.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#30]
If I had to, I would take it to the vet.

I wouldn't shoot my dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't imagine blowing a gaping hole in the head of a loved one
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I've killed a number of mice myself. I used what is called a cervical dislocation. It works by first holding the mouse by its tail then lowering so that its fron legs start touching a table top. Then you use your thumb and index finger to pinch and hold just below their cranium. Once you've got a decently firm grip you pull the tail back firmly. When done correctly you can feel the vertebrae separate and it instantly kills the mouse. If you fuck up you have to do it again to a paralyzed mouse. I've also killed mice by ODing (accidently) on ketamine. This was all done in the name of science in a government funded lab. Real pets, well, my best friend had to put down his dog. He put the dog in the back of the Land Rover turned on the car and piped the exhaust into the land rover, easy way to die really. It's an old land rover (everything is metal so it never smelled funny like exhaust. I think there is something responsible and deep about putting down a suffering pet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
We had a cattle dog that decided it was time to tear up a brand new Mud room addition to our house.

Dad saw the mess, and told me to take the dog to the pound, and i told him it was 50 miles away and cost money.

Easier than properly training the damn thing I guess, huh?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Please...don't let me stop you...

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Immanuel Kant

Well maybe if you weren't such a fuckin' retard with the miriad of threads and post you offer up, it would be less of a mystery. Frankly, a boring, childish "hey, look at me!" type of "mystery most couldn't be paid to have an interest in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easier than properly training the damn thing I guess, huh?

wasn't the first time it happened, and it wouldn't have been the last.
Properly training?
yup, we have other dogs, all of which are "properly" trained.
Black Lab trained bird dog, to name one.

You can't teach an OLD DOG new tricks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if you will assure us that in this story everyone goes home safely when it's all over.

Eric The(Sentimental)Hun

Everyone but the possum.

Seriously, I swear this story is 100% true.  I was driving to my parent's house late one night out in a rural Alabama small town, when I passed the biggest possum I'd ever seen sitting in the road.  I almost hit him but as everyone knows, possums 'play dead' when frightened, so I didn't think much about him not jumping out of the way as I passed.  But, when I look back he was still there in the same spot, so I stopped the truck, and backed up to get a better look.

Well, apparently he had been hit.  He was bloody and moving his legs real slow, so although he was hideous and literally the size of a dog, I felt real bad for him and wanted to do something.  So I drove on the 1/4 mile to the house to get a .22 to end the possum's misery.  But, with a few houses around, my dad figured it would be best to just take his machete and end it with a quick swing than firing a rifle in the middle of the night in the road.  So, my dad and I loaded up and drove back to the possum.  

We got out and examined the possum some more before we acted, just to make sure that it's number was really up.  So, dad raised the machete up above his head, and with a grunt and quick, hard swing, landed the blade right at the possum's neck in attempt of decapitating it.  

The blade didn't even break the skin.  It was a SHARP blade, but a HUGE possum, and did nothing but make the possum start squirming in even worse pain.  Now a little unnerved and us both mortified, my dad tried to hack a couple more times.  The blade began to sink in pretty far, but I had had enough and was getting nauseated, so I yelled at him to get out of the way, and jumped into the truck.  I quickly reversed and then rode forward again, hanging out of the window to ensure a clean smushing.  As I rolled over the zombie possum, a distinctive "swish" rang out, so I continued ahead and pulled to the side to check our damage.

I swear, as I sit here - the thing was still alive (barely) and squirming.  We stood there horrified.  Perhaps we should have just let the thing die the slow death there in the road that night instead of torturing it to death quickly.  With blood already smeared on the side of my truck, I promptly hopped in, reversed, and rode over it again.  That was the kicker, and we were so stunned and disgusted that we just got in and went back to the house, and spoke about it to no one ever again.

I've felt terrible about it ever since.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Yup, I've had to shoot a number of animals growing up. It was better than them suffering.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#39]
It depends.

Loved family pet in pain, no hope of recovery, and able to get to the Vet: I'd take him to the vet and hold him as gently as I could to make his last minutes of life as pleasant as they could be.

Loved family pet in pain, no hope of recovery, unable to get to the vet quickly to end the pain: 22LR to the back of the head.  Quick, painless, minimal mess.  Bury with dignity.

Family pet gone violent, or violent unknown animal, terminate with extreme prejudice by any means necessary.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I've felt terrible about it ever since.

Should have used the .22

Anyway, to the original question.  I have no problems euthanising animals in general with a firearm.  I've done it.  However, if it's a pet, something you've likely been around for 10+ years, I'd have a hard time with the physical deformation that usually goes with a gunshot.

On top of that, if I can save the pet even 5 seconds of suffering, I'd rather just have them go to sleep than suffer physical pain for their last few seconds on this planet.  But that's just me.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Immanuel Kant

Well maybe if you weren't such a fuckin' retard with the miriad of threads and post you offer up, it would be less of a mystery. Frankly, a boring, childish "hey, look at me!" type of "mystery most couldn't be paid to have an interest in.

I take it that you don't like my posts....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Have to take the family dogs to the vet, 3 so far. But cats are a differant story all together, putting down cats is theraputic
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#44]
The Power Of The Dog

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
   From men and women to fill our day;
   And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
   Why do we always arrange for more?
   Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
   Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
   Love unflinching that cannot lie--
   Perfect passion and worship fed
   By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
   Nevertheless it is hardly fair
   To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
   Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
   And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
   To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
   Then you will find--it's your own affair--
   But...you've given your heart for a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
   With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);
   When the spirit that answered your every mood
   Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
   You will discover how much you care,
   And will give your heart for the dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
   When it comes to burying Christian clay.
   Our loves are not given, but only lent,
   At compound interest of cent per cent.
   Though it is not always the case, I believe,
   That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
   For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
   A short-time loan is as bad as a long--
   So why in Heaven (before we are there)
   Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Food for thought..

64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:HGwSOBq-MAAJ:files.hsus.org/web-files/First_Strike/Law_Enforcers_Factsheet_2004.pdf+animal+cruelty+mental+disorder&hl=en

You gonna arrest me now?

Tell me NYPatriot...how do you feel about abortion?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#47]
When I had fish sometimes I had to flush them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#48]
THE YARD CATS JUST WON'T QUIT HAVING KITTENS.... BUT THEY SEEM PREDISPOSED TO LEAD POISION.  I FOR ONE AIN'T PAYIN' 80 BUCKS TO FIX A CAT THAT WASN'T HERE A MONTH AGO AND MAY NOT BE HERE A MONTH FROM NOW. IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME A BIT. ANYONE WHO LETS AN ANIMAL DESTROY THERE PROPERTY NEEDS TO GO ON THE DR. PHIL SHOW.
MY CHICKENS....YEP, FIRST SIGN OF SICKNESS IT'S THE OLD RUSTY CHICKEN MACHETE FOR THEM.
IF MY DOG WAS DOWN AND NOT FIXABLE ( HIT BY A CAR AND REALLYREALLY MESSED UP) I COULD DO IT. IT'D BE TO MAKE IT EASY ON HIM.
I'M A NURSE AND I SEE A LOT OF SUFFERING BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T WANT THE RESPONSIBILITY AND LET A LOVED ONE GO...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I do the deed myself.  It is my responsibility.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
THE YARD CATS JUST WON'T QUIT HAVING KITTENS.... BUT THEY SEEM PREDISPOSED TO LEAD POISION.  I FOR ONE AIN'T PAYIN' 80 BUCKS TO FIX A CAT THAT WASN'T HERE A MONTH AGO AND MAY NOT BE HERE A MONTH FROM NOW. IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME A BIT. ANYONE WHO LETS AN ANIMAL DESTROY THERE PROPERTY NEEDS TO GO ON THE DR. PHIL SHOW.
MY CHICKENS....YEP, FIRST SIGN OF SICKNESS IT'S THE OLD RUSTY CHICKEN MACHETE FOR THEM.
IF MY DOG WAS DOWN AND NOT FIXABLE ( HIT BY A CAR AND REALLYREALLY MESSED UP) I COULD DO IT. IT'D BE TO MAKE IT EASY ON HIM.
I'M A NURSE AND I SEE A LOT OF SUFFERING BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T WANT THE RESPONSIBILITY AND LET A LOVED ONE GO...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top