Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2004 11:37:55 PM EDT
What's a good affordable On Star type G.P.S. for road travel?

I have a friend moving cross country, and she wants to have a navigation sytem added toher car before she leave. She says she does not want mobile/removeable system.

I have no experience in this area. I'm hoping the ARFCOM gurus can help.
I'm looking makes, models and general price range.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#1]
On Star is a subscription service.  It must be factory installed, I believe, and she must subscribe and ask them for help each time she wants it.  For that kind of money, she should absolutely consider using a handheld model for around $200 with mapping capability, or consider spending a few hundred more and buy one of the Streetpilot type units.  GPS is a wonderful thing, and should not be limited to the road.  By the way, if you have a car with OnStar, only they have access to theGPS info, you must pay their subscription, even though you are driving around with all the hardware-minus the display.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
A full blown GPS (in-dash, CD/DVD for source data) is NOT going to be cheap.

A Garmin StreetPilot will give you all the function that most anyone could need in a small, easy to install package.

www.garmin.com/mobile/products.html

I've used GPS of one sort or another in my vehicles for 10 years.

My last stand-alone GPS setup was a Garmin III.  I currently use a Delorme TripMate coupled to my Think Pad running StreetAtlas.

As pointed out, OnStar is a whole nother thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#3]
She specifically said that she doesnt want a hand held model. It sounds like that's what she's going to end up with  though. Maybe a handheld, mounted in the car/dash/console? I'm thinking something like the old car phone mounts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
My tin foil hat society prohibits me from having onstar
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top