Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 1:44:33 PM EDT
I have been working in a steel mill now for a month and a half and it is unionized. I hate this job and dont think too much of the union, but the pay is good. Guess that makes me a wage whore. Anyways the union had these papers laying around talking about how Kerry will fight for union familys and our 2nd ammendment rights. The one point they made for his support of the second ammendment was that he has always been a sportsman. Of course they dont point out his voting record for obvious reasons. This just really pissed me off. They all dissapeared around afternoon time, I think my supervisor threw all that crap away, I'm pretty sure hes pro-Bush, and he isnt in the union. Today I finally found my motivation to start looking into a new job in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Post the NRA's, "That Dog Don't Hunt" all over the place.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I always wondered if the union has the power to fire me, I guess that would be a good way to find out!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep us posted, if you'll pardon the pun...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always wondered if the union has the power to fire me, I guess that would be a good way to find out!

Hey, that's freedom of speech.  If they fired you over that (make sure you are not posting where you're not supposed to, so they can't call it vandalism or whatever) make a huge ruckus and threaten to take them to court.  Hell, 2 can play at this game, and its time for the rest of us to get some satisfaction.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hey, that's freedom of speech.  ............

Not to side track the thread, but it has absolutely nothing to do with "Freedom of Speech".

The First Amendment has to do with the Federal Government's restrictions.  The Government cannot restrict speech.

A private business has every right to restrict speech on their property.  

You might not like that, but it's the facts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
File a grievence if they give you any grief

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Let them know that the 2nd has nothing to do with "sportsmen".
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, that's freedom of speech.  ............

Not to side track the thread, but it has absolutely nothing to do with "Freedom of Speech".

The First Amendment has to do with the Federal Government's restrictions.  The Government cannot restrict speech.

A private business has every right to restrict speech on their property.  

You might not like that, but it's the facts.

Damn good post.  I also like the buttheads who think they have the right to not see or hear about religion.  WRONG.  You have the right to choose to participate or not, and we have the right to practice our religion without interference from the government.  Then you have the handout junkies that claim they have a "right" to good affordable healthcare, and a "good paying job".  Bull.  We have the right to not be unreasonably restricted in our pursuit of those things!  They are not a right, nor are they guaranteed!

If you leave out the demographics that have large percentages of their population on welfare and other "social" programs, it leaves the unions probably the main reason that otherwise conservative people as a whole have collectively embraced this idiotic thinking IMO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have been working in a steel mill now for a month and a half and it is unionized. I hate this job and dont think too much of the union, but the pay is good. Guess that makes me a wage whore. Anyways the union had these papers laying around talking about how Kerry will fight for union familys and our 2nd ammendment rights. The one point they made for his support of the second ammendment was that he has always been a sportsman. Of course they dont point out his voting record for obvious reasons. This just really pissed me off. They all dissapeared around afternoon time, I think my supervisor threw all that crap away, I'm pretty sure hes pro-Bush, and he isnt in the union. Today I finally found my motivation to start looking into a new job in law enforcement.

Ohio is a union state
hence it will be  a Kerry state.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohio is a union state
hence it will be  a Kerry state.

I wouldn't be so sure.

I work in a UAW plant, and I see too many W04 stickers to believe that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope your right.

I see more Kerry signs than Bush signs in yards nowadays.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi. I'm Cajunboy2k, and I am a wage whore.  I work in an oil refinery in Texas and am a member of the PACE union. It is an arm of the AFL-CIO. I don't like the union leadership, but slowly, republican workers are winning positions within the union ranks. I like the good pay and benifits, but LOATH the fact that PACE supports the JOHN KERRY CAMPAIGN. Once the conservatives take over the top spots, I don't think  the liberals will be supported.

VIVA BUSH/CHEANEY!!! (spelling)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hi. I'm Cajunboy2k, and I am a wage whore.  I work in an oil refinery in Texas and am a member of the PACE union. It is an arm of the AFL-CIO. I don't like the union leadership, but slowly, republican workers are winning positions within the union ranks. I like the good pay and benifits, but LOATH the fact that PACE supports the JOHN KERRY CAMPAIGN. Once the conservatives take over the top spots, I don't think  the liberals will be supported.

VIVA BUSH/CHEANEY!!! (spelling)

What prevents Bush from courting the Union vote ???
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What prevents Bush from courting the Union vote ???

That's easy.

He isn't a Democrat.

And Unions are full of yellow-dog Democrats.

(And in case anyone doesn't know, that means, "They would vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat.")
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's name is on your paycheck the steel mill or the union? If the union's name isn't on the paycheck they can't fire you. They may ba able to kick you out of the union or otherwise may life miserable but they don;t make hire and fire decisions. Example: when a layoff occurs is it the union laying people off or the company? When hiring is taking place is it the union or the company.

I remember working in the credit industry and some guys list the union as their employer. Call for verification and they say he's a member, but they have no work records on the indivdual like salary and employment dats etc.... This led to declined credit for the person. I wish some of the members were a little more in tune with who they work for. We could usually contact them and get the real employer information, but needed to have another application signed with the correct information. They usually made pleanty of money.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
my uncle that died in 1994 was vice president of the UAW, he was a very conservative repuplican, not all union people are dems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top