Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 10:32:22 AM EDT
I once saw an episode of Star Trek where the inhabitants of a doomed planet, their sun about to go supernova, escaped the calamity by going back in time. Everyone had a choice as to the time period. Now, suppose... the Earth was threatened by the sun about to supernova, and your best bud invented a time machine! what year would you and your family escape to...?

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably restart with myself in my teens, guiding my family to wealth.  Then after a few 're-do's' start going back in time hoarding wealth
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go back to the battle Helms Deep with some AR's and have fun shooting Orcs.

Oh wait, that did not really happen did it?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can you go back into an earlier form of yourself?  I'd take my current knowledge back into my 17 year old self in 1994.

Me to, except i'd be 17 in 1981 .. I would look up Bill Gates and Bernie Ebbers and offer to invest in thier new companies ...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Considering I am 42, probably about 50 to 60 years so I could stay in the post WWII area and I would not have to worry about taking another ride in the time machine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#6]
A time right before this post....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]

As far back as I could go without feeling 'out of place'...

Any further back, and I'd start to miss stuff that wasn't invented yet...

P.S. Forget INVESTING in Microsoft...

Take a copy of a modern OS & some office apps back to the late 80s & *BECOME* Microsoft...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Somtime in 1970 so I could go to an VVAW rally and hit kerry and fonda with my hot,piss filled,balloons.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know, man.  Spock had it good with Zarabeth in that episode...

I'd have to check with 'Mr. Atos' --- one of 'em, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Islam?  Yeah, it wouldn't be invented.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go to 1967, and tell a little boy to do as well in math as he does in history, foreign languages and English (straight As), so he wouldn't fall behind his classmates.

I would then tell him to ignore and stay away from his "friends", since they are losers and will turn into dopers in a few years. They will steal lots of his stuff long before he finds out about it, and them.

I would also tell him to ignore his parents' numerous failings and think instead about the future, instead of what is happening right now.

In a few short years, after he gets out of high school, he will rarely see any of them ever again, and all he will have are his grades, his skills and his character to rely on.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#12]
sometime around 1939.........I would make sure that a couple of lawyers had a stern talking to before they entered a court room. You do not screw with my moonshining buddies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

As far back as I could go without feeling 'out of place'...

Any further back, and I'd start to miss stuff that wasn't invented yet...

P.S. Forget INVESTING in Microsoft...

Take a copy of a modern OS & some office apps back to the late 80s & *BECOME* Microsoft...

Modern OSs wouldn't run on the puny machines of the early '80s.  Besides, if you were going to BECOME Microsoft, you would have to learen how to improve your product, develop more products, and train other folks to do these things as well.  Pretty impossible for most.

No, I contend that it would be better to use Bill Gates brain for all this, but get in on the ground floor!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Since I would go back at my current age of 28, I would be able to live through the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. I have always felt cheated because I missed the 60's and 70's. Then I would die a natural death before the Sun went supernova.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I remember that one! Dr. "Atoz" was running the time machine. Bones was sick and ran through and Kirk & Spock was trying to find him.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I remember that one! Dr. "Atoz" was running the time machine. Bones was sick and ran through and Kirk & Spock was trying to find him.

No that's 2 different episodes. Your thinkning of The City on the Edge of Forever with Joan Collins.

Edith Keeler must DIE!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd be tempted to go back to try to prevent the burning of the Library at Alexandria.  Then I'd figure out how to build printing presses.  Then technology could hopefully advance fast enough that by the time the supernova came, we'd be traveling the stars, and humanity would survive.

Or I'd go back to about 1940ish, so I could live a full, long life with most modern conveniences.  (And I'd tell the Allies to bomb Germany's power grid back to the stone age, instead of focusing on factories and military bases.  It'd be a hard choice.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#18]
A few summers ago when I let the greatest thing that ever happened to me, slip out of my life....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top