Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 7:56:09 PM EDT
This being the tactical pistol chosen by L.A.P.D. SWAT, why would it not have a stainless barrel? The STAINLESS TLE II has the stainless match grade barrel nevermind it doesnt either but the matte finished gun has a plain steel match grade barrel. Is there some reason Kimber does not use a stainless barrel in this gun? Is there some reason SWAT wouldnt want a stainless barrel in their pistols?

EDITED TO CORRECT MY STATEMENT ABOUT THE STAINLESS TLE II's barrel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a TLE II that dosen't have a stainless steel barrel?  I've never seen a Kimber 1911 that dosen't have a stainless steel barrel.  Every one I own have stainless barrels.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you have a TLE II that dosen't have a stainless steel barrel?  I've never seen a Kimber 1911 that dosen't have a stainless steel barrel.  Every one I own have stainless barrels.

Yes I do... I just had to "polish" a light rust spot off of it. This from a brand new gun. I didnt realize I was going to have to baby sit the barrel so much when I dropped well over $800 on the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, I didn't think there was such a thing as a non stainless Kimber other than the Royal.  Even the stock custom is a stainless frame that has their black finish on it.  I'm assuming all the barrels are stainless as well.  And stainless can rust, just more resistant.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the barrel shiny looking, or a finished look (like parkarized/coated/etc)?  Are you keeping the gun in the foam lined case?  The foam lined case that the gun comes in is really bad for storage since the foam retains moisture, and will cause quite a bit of rust on all sorts of stuff.  Stainless steel isn't completely rust proof, only resistant, but due to the contact of the stainess steel with the carbon steel of the slide, barrel link and bushing, rust can occur.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I do... I just had to "polish" a light rust spot off of it. This from a brand new gun. I didnt realize I was going to have to baby sit the barrel so much when I dropped well over $800 on the pistol.

Was the rust right at the top of the barrel, just a bit back from the muzzle?

Every Kimber I've ever had developed at least a discoloration in that area.

BTW it's stainless not rustproof, it still requires care.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay guys...just to clear something up, I have the 2004 Kimber Catalog infront of me now and I am going though the "PISTOL  SPECIFICATIONS" section. They list 9 pistols with the stainless barrel. The other FORTY something configurations do NOT have the stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
>snip

Thats EXACTLY where it is/was. And I know that stainless is not totally impervious to the elements but it holds up WAY better than this. Shes cleaned up and oiled real good now but I just think Kimber should use the stainless barrels accross their entire lineup.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
>snip

Thats EXACTLY where it is/was. And I know that stainless is not totally impervious to the elements but it holds up WAY better than this. Shes cleaned up and oiled real good now but I just think Kimber should use the stainless barrels accross their entire lineup.

All the Kimbers of mine did have stainless barrels.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to eat some crow here. I was mistaken about the STAINLESS TLE II... it does *NOT* have a Stainless barrel either! This is according to their own literature. The only ones listed with a stainless barrel are the Gold Match guns and the Gold Combat guns. If you dont believe me ask your Kimber Master Dealer for their 2004 catalog.

ETA: The LTP II and the Supermatch II are also listed as having a "Stainless Match Grade Barrel" I missed those two as they are lumped in with the Gold Match guns....

If anyone can verify what I am saying here its on pgs. 44-45 of the 2004 Catalog.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm... I have a TLE/RL II and noticed a very small amount of rust spots on the part of the barrel that shows through the ejection port, where it says ".45 ACP".  It cleaned up easy enough.

CLP is pretty good at keeping the rust away, so I make sure to coat everything with it.

I have never have had this problem with my Custom CDP.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Easy way to tell.  Put some cold-blue on your barrel.  At best it'll do a slight discoloration on stainless.

Not necessary in my case Lumpy. I know for a fact mines not stainless. I do think, however, that many people do not realize that their Kimber barrels are not stainless.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Eh, I've never had a problem with rusting on either of my barrels.  And cleanliness is not one of my strong suits.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The full size Eclipse does not come with a SS barrel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The full size Eclipse does not come with a SS barrel.

sure doesnt
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wouldn't be upset about not having a Stainless barrel.  My guns with Kart barrels shoot every bit as good as Bar-Stos, maybe better.  I like to keep my guns lubed anyways.

This is true, its not really THAT big of a deal I guess. I just couldnt believe any modern "combat pistol" wouldnt have a stainless barrel. Cleaning and lubricating is a luxury in combat and to *me* it just seems more sensible to go with stainless. I was actually wondering why they DONT use them when it would be nothing more than a little extra money in production. I thought maybe I was missing something negative about stainless barrels.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This being the tactical pistol chosen by L.A.P.D. SWAT, why would it not have a stainless barrel? The STAINLESS TLE II has the stainless match grade barrel nevermind it doesnt either but the matte finished gun has a plain steel match grade barrel. Is there some reason Kimber does not use a stainless barrel in this gun? Is there some reason SWAT wouldnt want a stainless barrel in their pistols?

This belongs in general? Move it to Handguns
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I wouldn't be upset about not having a Stainless barrel.  My guns with Kart barrels shoot every bit as good as Bar-Stos, maybe better.  I like to keep my guns lubed anyways.

You have some really nice 1911s
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This belongs in general? Move it to Handguns

Tell you what... I would love to have had this disscussion in the Handgun forum. But you see the Handgun forum is rarely used on this board and I wanted some intelligent conversation this evening...not a week from now. Oh!! Look!!! Your Moderator tag fell off... you better go find it. I bet its in the handgun forum. I'll be here getting answers to my querries until a mod kicks me out thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Off Topic: We need a forum for Hall Monitors and Mall Ninjas. You know... so that people with absolutely NO authority can have a place to feel important and run around making DEMANDS of others.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top