Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 1:19:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps you had a stuck firing pin and it was an oob.

Edit:  No that doesnt sound right because he didnt get the initial crack.  Maybe you were hitting the pipe too hard and only thought you had a KB.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like one of those days where you have never step past the front door of your house. Watch out the rest of the day. Sorry about the bet you lost. Just for everyone information the Golden Eagles are undefeated so far this season. Go Gold! (USM)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
First, be thankful that you weren't hurt.

Second, find the cause and make sure it does not happen again.  I don't know much about Chilean ammo - what is the reputation of that stuff?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
First, be thankful that you weren't heard.

Yeah man, if they hear you they kill you.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Headed out to the range this morning to make loud noises.
I was just starting with my FAL, thinking how sorry I was for the boltgunners on the line because my muzzle brake was going to deafen them.  
I had just discovered earlier that I did indeed have the capability to shoot fairly accurately with both eyes open.
Lined up on the target without shutting an eye, and squoze the trigger.
It was a muffled whomp, not a howitzer-esque BOOM.
First thought: That wasn't too bad.
Second thought: That wasn't too bad because something is wrong here.
'Bout that time I realize I just got a faceful of hot gasses and my receiver is smoking out of every hole and seam.
Line went cold immediately because everybody heard what I did, and one girl actually saw it happen.
RO came over and asked what happened and I showed him the magazine, which was missing a floorplate and was ballooned out near the bottom.  "Probably a case rupture", he said, , and said he could take the ammo to examine how bad the batch was/had gone (it was Chilean milsurp which I had bought two years ago; I had shot 250 rounds out of the 500 round batch on prior trips).  We found the dented primer on the bench, but didn't find where the case had gone.
Three people looked in my bore, commented that it was the cleanest FAL bore they'd ever seen, and saw no ring where the barrel would be bulging.  I don't figure there was an obstruction.
I decided to pack it up and head home while I was still ahead.  Found out the Longhorns lost, and I now owe ilikelegs a 30 round AR magazine.  Crap

I had a ruptured case in my Savage 110 a few years back.  I pulled the trigger and got a face full of smoke.  Like you said smoke was coming out of every hole and seam.  I was shooting crap Izzy ammo from Paragon (hey I was only 18-19 then I did not know any better).  
Here is the case.  

Glad you made it home ok.  
Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top