Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 7:51:24 AM EDT
Anyone here hear anything yet. Perhaps from a soldier in country? I realize that the results won't be known for weeks but if TSHTF I would like to know. Planerench over.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
all I hear is that its a fruad and it will be meaninless...   < but thats from CNN >
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#2]
and CNN knows all. hahahahaha
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
When you cut through the US press BS you get the impression the Afghan people were tickled sh*tless with the election.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
"Confused but elated, Afghans flock to the polls

09 Oct 2004 12:13:53 GMT
Source: Reuters

By David Fox

KABUL, Oct 9 (Reuters) - After nearly four decades without an election of any sort, Afghans could be forgiven for being slightly confused about the process on Saturday.

But even the first cold snap of the season, a dust storm that reduced visibilty to a 100 yards (metres) in places, mix-ups over the pens used in voting and a boycott by all but one of the candidates failed to dampen enthusiasm for the process.

"This is one of the happiest days of my life," said Sayed Aminullah as he cast he vote at Eid Gah Mosque in the capital.

"I don't care about the result. All I care is that we are having an election. This is a sign that things are improving for Afghanistan."

His sentiments were echoed across the country -- and in refugee camps in neighbouring Pakistan and Iran -- as more than 12 million eligible voters went to the polls to elect their leader for the first time.

Nineteen-year-old science student Moqadasa Sidiqi was the first person to cast her ballot -- but she voted from Pakistan, where, because of the time difference, polling stations for hundreds of thousands of refugees opened half an hour earlier.

"I am very, very happy," she said after voting. "I can't explain my feelings because I am very excited."

Sidiqi was chosen by the U.N. to cast the first ballot in order to encourage other women to vote. Some 41 percent of those registered are women -- the first time they have been allowed to participate in a government election in Afghanistan.

But given the last vote of any sort in Afghanistan was held in the late 1960s, Saturday's ballot was a novelty for almost all the participants, regardless of age or sex.

"I am ready to vote for my future," a beaming Mohammed Mohideen, 80, said as we waited patiently in line outside a school in the capital.

Dressed in traditional attire, with a turban wrapped around his head and a woolen shawl pulled tight against the cold, Mohideen said 17 adults from his extended family were waiting in line to vote.

"EVEN THE WOMEN ARE VOTING"

"Even the women are voting. I have two wives and three daughters and one granddaughter there," he said, pointing to a line of women wrapped from head to toe in blue burqas as they prepared to vote.

The vote is a huge logistical challenge for the United Nations' and Afghan government's Joint Election Management Body (JEMB).

In some remote areas, ballot boxes had to be delivered by donkey cart and camel because they were inaccessible to vehicles.

Flash flooding in Nuristan province delayed the opening of some polling stations, while overnight snow in Bamiyam also briefly held up proceedings, organisers said.

In Khost, 32-year-old Sayed Ali said he looked forward to a new era of peace and stability.

"A few years ago, the people used to appoint a leader by guns, so right now I am so happy that people are voting for a president. I gave my vote for Hamid Karzai, he is a good guy." Azizullah, 39, bucked the trend and said he was voting for the only woman standing for president.

"I voted for Massouda Jalal because the others are warlords and drug dealers, except Karzai," he said. "But the reason I didn't vote for him is because everyone voted for him, and Jalal is the only woman."

Many of those taking part had no idea that a controversy over the pens used to mark their fingers to show they had voted had prompted 15 candidates to announce they were boycotting the election.

At some polling stations, Reuters correspondents saw that indelible ink pens were being used to mark ballot papers, whereas normal ink pens were being used to mark thumbs to show voters had taken part.

"Look, it washes off very easily," said one voter, as he cleaned his thumb in a puddle after casting his ballot.

There is actually a second-tier defence against fraud, however, as voters also have to present their registration cards, which are punched once the bearer votes.

"I am not aware of any boycott," said Burhanadin 55. "Here it is a free and fair election.

www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP155704.htm
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Azizullah, 39, bucked the trend and said he was voting for the only woman standing for president. "I voted for Massouda Jalal because the others are warlords and drug dealers, except Karzai," he said. "But the reason I didn't vote for him is because everyone voted for him, and Jalal is the only woman."

See? Even Afghanistan has Democrats!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Just goes to show you that even with the Democrats always crying about "military force", we can get the job done and do it right.

Being proven wrong is a bitch.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
According to Kofi Annan this is all a fraud and Karazi is a CIA (or DoD?) puppet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Kofi Annan is a corrupt little Third World Turd! (and a French Puppet)

Andy
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Kofi Annan is a corrupt little third world turd!

Andy

I always have problems coming up with insults of Kofi that fit in the CoC.  Most of them a simian in nature.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
name of the news story now on CNN.com is "Afghan Election in Turmoil"

what a bunch of c*cksuckers

all that happened is that the 15 candidates who all got very small percentages of the vote are pissed cuz hamid karzai, who was projected to dominate, is dominating, so they are claiming fraud....sounds like the Dems in FL 2000
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Azizullah, 39, bucked the trend and said he was voting for the only woman standing for president. "I voted for Massouda Jalal because the others are warlords and drug dealers, except Karzai," he said. "But the reason I didn't vote for him is because everyone voted for him, and Jalal is the only woman."

See? Even Afghanistan has Democrats!

RIIIIIGGGGTT!!!  

Seriously though, this is really amazing.  Imagine what this place was like before 9-11?  Think for a sec what the fucking sand pile will be once we finish kicking the shit out of the terrorists and Afghanistan and Iraq actually become free, democratic, capitalist nations.  Is it any wonder the fucking murdering bastard terrorists are fighting so hard to disrupt the elections?

We can't give up.  We can't buckle...we can't go wobbly.

We can't allow Kerry to become president.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I know how those guys feel. I've been here eight years and cant vote yet . I can apply for citizenship next year but right now its killing me. They havent been able to vote for FORTY YEARS!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top