Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 5:51:11 AM EDT

I have two old bottles of multi-vitamins I bought a couple of years ago.  Both of the bottles expired within the last six months.  Is there a danger in taking them after the expiration date?  I wouldn't think that pills can really expire, especially when they have been closed up the whole time.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Throw them away.....get a new bottle
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Give one to your cat. If it's still around after a few days, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Speaking of... I have vitamins in my desk at work, and the other day I looked down at the bottle of centrum and it expired 5/2003.   I would say nothing's wrong with them and they should be better than nothing, but I've really had bad gas since I started taking them.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]
They shouldnt become hazardous, simply not as effective.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
They should be perfectly safe for human consumption, just that they may not be as potent as originally leaving the factory.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#6]
They just tend to lose some potentcy after time.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure you check the label on the bottle for the letters "USP" or "DSVP"..

The United States Pharmacopeia (USP) created the Dietary Supplement Verification Program (DSVP) to help consumers be sure that what is on the label is actually what’s in the bottle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top