Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 11:22:16 PM EDT
So I'm holding then gun and slowly pull back the hammer and it comes out just a little bit and makes a click and stays in this position until I either squeeze the trigger or pull the hammer all the way back. Is this normal and why?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
half cock
not really a safety, but it kept the hammer from resting on the firing pin, in case you dropped the gun on the hammer, on old style 1911's.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean as in like a half cock position?

Edited: damn I'm slow.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
nevermind
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#6]
series 70 hammers on the half cock notch had a HOOK on the end.

series 80 hammers on the half cock notch had NO Hook on the end.

so on a 80 series gun if you cock the hammer back slighty to the half cock notch, you can RESET the hammer forward by pulling the trigger, the series 70 hammers you can not do this.

most likely the hook on the 70 series hammers was ground off in favor of the 80 series style, because to reset the hammer forward you hand to fully cock the hammer and then thumb it down while squeezing the trigger, which is an UN-SAFE thing to do on a loaded gun.
by pulling the trigger the on an 80 series the hammer would "click" forward, without enough force or momentum to strike the firing pin and fire the gun.

if you dont like the 80 series style then you should be able to put in a 70 series hammer without any problems, and (to my knowledge) it shouldnt affect the other 80 series FP safety mechanism.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top