Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 2:51:10 PM EDT
I dont know much about digital cameras but am looking for a fairly good one for cheap. Some things it must have are a picture preview screen, clear picture quality, a flash, average storage ability and capable of upgrading. I found one on ebay for about $50 what do you guys think.  Heres The Link
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually found this one at tigerdirect.com and as much as I hate rebates I think Im gonna go ahead and get it what do you guys think Heres The Link
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I dont know much about digital cameras but am looking for a fairly good one for cheap.    

You might want to keep looking . Digitals have come way down in price , but expect
to pay $150 - 200 for something you won't outgrow in a month .

The APEX will take pictures but thats about , It's basically a kids camera .
Digital zoom is a lie , all it does is crop a smaller area of the focal plane and
stretch the pixels .

Do  little research HERE then decide .

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The ebay camera is pretty much a POS.

The Tiger Direct camera isn't much if any better.

If your budget is only $50 then save up some more money.

There are many good cameras available in the $150-$200 range

Canon
Fuji
Nikon
Olympus
Sony
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah thats the problem being a college student doesnt leave me with much cash and then buying a new pistol and a couple rifles recently leaves me even less.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The TigerDirect deal will get you started.

It may not be the greatest camera in the world, but if you really want to take pictures, are on a budget, and don't want an expensive camera with 159 "neat" features you will likely never use any how...go for it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
You'd be better off buying single use cameras (AKA disposables) and using them, but having your film scanned and saved to CD then buying either one of those cameras.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
NEVER buy Apex electronics unless you plan to use it for less than 1 year. Look for a camera with at least 2 MP, and a nice lense, it's all about the lense, megaPixels don't really make the camera(most people wouldn't agree with me). The Hubble is only a 1mp, but it has a nice lense..
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Daytona955i is correct about the lens and MP size.  A quality lens on a camera is the most important item.  The lower the quality, the lower the sharpness/crispness of your images.
A 3MP camera is the MOST anyone needs for happy snaps.  Most 3MP cameras today are relatively cheap.  2MP cameras are even cheaper and will suit your needs for a few years.  

chrome1 is correct about digital zoom.  Digital zoom is the biggest farce in the world.  I love it when someone tells me, "I just got a camera with a butt load of features (they will never use) and HEY! it's got 20x digital zoom."  They are ALWAYS disappointed with the picture results and can't figure out why.  Always look for the most optical zoom you can afford.  If you check it out, you will see that the higher the optical zoom the higher the cost of the camera.  There IS a reason for that.

Things to consider:

Lens Quality - the cheaper the camera the cheaper the lens (usually)
MP size (more = more $$$)
OPTICAL ZOOM (more = more $$$) vs. digital zoom
Battery type - can you throw in some readily available AA's or do you need "special" batteries?
Data Storage - Smartcard, etc.  What size card comes with the camera?  Most come with only a 8MB card.  That won't allow too many pictures except at the lowest resolution.
Accessories - What comes with the camera and what else do you have to buy to get the pics to your PC?  Docking station?  Data cable (i.e. USB, Firewire)?  Battery charger for "special" batteries?

IMHO - Save your money, do your research and you will find what you are looking for and will be happy with.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought a digital camera 2 days ago. It was a Canon Proshot A75...bought it at Circuit City for $179.95 web price. Retail was $199.95...

Here is a site that should get you educated on digital cameras; it was very useful to me.

www.imaging-resource.com/

It's a 3MP camera. A fair number of advanced features, yet it's still easy to use. And I'm no camera expert by any means. After seeing the images I got and after printing, I thought "man, I wish my wife would have been up for the 5 MP model".  While the A75 had pretty good quality even I could see that the 5MP was far superior. But alot more expensive.

Absolutely get a much larger capacity memory module. Circuit City had a 10% off accessories if you bought the camera at the same time. Got a 256MB module for $40ish...that'll hold 154 max size/max quality pics. Plenty.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The Canon Powershot cameras are absolutely great for the price.

Here is a brand new A40 2MP for $130 on ebay A40

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
A no name brand with only digital zoom, take a pass...

Go with a name brand camera, legitimate prices have plunged the last few years, and forget digital zoom even exists, optical zoom is the only thing that counts.

You can get a name brand camera with optical zoom from a legitimate dealer for about $150, that's what you need to look for.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at the Nikons.  If you are primarily looking at pics on your puter, you really don't need 3 mega pixels.  You get better bang for the buck with optics and features.  I have the coolpix 2500.  It far exceeds any photographic requirement I have.  I have burned up hundreds of rolls of 35mm film with a Nikon cam before I went digital.  I have done a few weddings and have done some pro work with digital cams.  5M pix is a waste for someone that has a general purpose photography need. If you want to focus on nipple fuzz at the beach, you need good optics.  Sony uses Zeiss glass.  Look there too........
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree lens quality is most important.  Pixel count is however very important also.  Though the Hubble telescope may only have a 1MP sensor, it does have the ability to stitch the photos it takes together effectively creating a much higher pixel photo.

Generally speaking a good quality 2MP will get you a high quality 4 x 6 images that you would be hard pressed to differentiate from a film camera.  3MP will get you up to around 8 x 10.  At these limits you better forget about any image cropping though.

Your opinion on pixil count may differ.  It's much like MP3 quality.  Many consider 128kbps as HiFi and can hear no difference when compared to 256kbps.  To others the difference is noticible and important.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#14]
The most inportant thing to remember is:
TIGER DIRECT SUCKS
You will never get a rebate back from them.
ever.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Find a better one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll chip in with the others in the consensus: Save your $$ and get a better camera. The deal from
TigerDirect is for a recertified (read: Refurbished/I broke, Lexmark fixed it and is trying to resell it)
printer, plus the camera, all for $40 after rebate?

Run, Forrest, Run!

Also, something to think about: The camera has 8MB internal memory, with the ability to add a
Secure Digital memory card. A 256MB card runs about $30 or so. Doesn't it strike you as funny
that the memory card costs almost as much as what you'll be paying for the camera AND the
printer? Hmmmmmm......

BTW, the 8MB memory will only get you about 4 or 5 decent, high-quality pics before you have to
download them, so having a high-capacity memorycard is a must!

Also, what kind of battery does this camera run on? I have an older HP that uses AA's, and it goes
through batteries fast if you're taking pics. Rechargeables, lots of them, are nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top