Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 7:26:39 AM EDT
I've long been curious about the variation of features on the UH-1 Huey series of helicopters. So here's a quick question. I know the D and H model Huey was larger and carried more troops than the B model. Some Hueys have different cargo doors than others. For instance, some of them have cargo doors with one large window in it. Others have two smaller side by side windows. Are the UH-1's with the single window troop compartment doors B model Hueys? Just curious.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you on this, but am looking forward to knowing. I LOVE Hueys and if I won the lotto would buy a Huey in an instant. Great load carrying capabilities. Would be a great SHTF vehicle ('cept for maybe the maintenance aspect).
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
There were three major variants of the H-1, the Bell model 204, 205 and 212.

Bell model 204

XH-40 : ( later redesigned XHU-1 ) The Bell Model 204 first flown in October 1956 with one 700 hp turbine engine. The 3 prototypes built were the first turbine engine aircraft of the US Army. ( serial number 55-4459 )

YH-40 : ( later redesigned YHU-1 ) 6 test units with a fuselage 30 cm (1 feet) longer

HU-1 : ( with the normalization of 1962 became the UH-1 Iroquois ) 9 pre-productions units with one 770 hp T53-L-1A tested during 1959

HU-1A : ( later UH-1A ) 173 units produced up to March 1961. A crew of 2 plus 5 troops.

TH-1A : 14 UH-1A converted to dual control trainers

UH-1B : 1014 units built between 1961 and 1965 with a 960 hp T53-L-5 engine. 7 troops

UH-1C : 750 units with the same fuselage of the UH-1B but a larger engine (L11) and a newer rotor system that give them much greater manoeuvrability

UH-1E : 192 units built between 1964 and 1966. Was the UH-1B/C for the US Marines for assault support with salt-water corrosion protection and extra avionics. 8 troops.

TH-1E : 20 trainers of the UH-1E variant

UH-1F : ( also called UH-48 as missile site support helo ) The UH-1B variant for the USAF with a 1300 hp T58-GE-3 turbine engine. 119 units built from 1964 to 1967. 10 troops

The UH-1F had a General Electric engine rather than the Lycoming engine used on other models at the time. It was more powerful than the Lycoming engines until the Lycoming TH-53-L13 engine was introduced in mid 1967.

TH-1F : 26 UH-1F trainers

HH-1K : The UH-1E for the US Navy for SAR duties with a 1400 hp engine. 27 units in 1970

UH-1L : The UH-1E for the US Navy for multi-purpose duties with a 1100 hp engine. 10 units in 1968

TH-1L : 90 trainers for the US Navy

UH-1M : 3 UH-1C updated with a 1100 hp engine and 6 french AS.11 anti tank missiles for evaluation. They had a different rotor system and the tailboom had a sweeping vertical fin.

UH-1P : 20 UH-1F updated for psycological warfare

AB.204 : Model 204 built by Agusta in Italy
Fuji 204B-2 : Model 204 built in Japan

Bell model 205

YUH-1D : 7 prototypes ordered in July 1960 with a larger main rotor and a bigger fuselage for a 12 / 14 troops capacity

UH-1D : 2000 units with a 1100 hp turbine engine. First unit enter service in August 1963

UH-1H : The most important variant of the Huey was an updated version of the UH-1D with a 1400 hp T53-L-13 engine. 4900 units built for the US Army and 50 countries

EH-1H : UH-1Hs modified for electronic warfare in variations EH-1H Phase A and B and the UH-1X Model. Were replaced with the Sikorsky EH-60A

HH-1H : 30 UH-1Hs for the USAF for combat / SAR duties
The modification included moving the tail rotor to the right hand side of the tailboom. This modification was picked up by the US army and later UH-1H type aircraft were configured with the tail rotor on the left side.

UH-1V : 200 UH-1Hs modified for medevac duties in the 80s

AB.205 : Model 205 built by Agusta in Italy
Fuji 205 : Model 205 built in Japan

Bell model 212

UH-1N : After the successful of the Models 204 / 205, Bell joined Pratt & Whitney Canada for develop a twin engine derivate of the UH-1H to achieve a specification came from the Canadian Armed Forces. The result was the Model 212 Twin Two Twelve adopted by the USAF (79 units ) and the US Navy / Marines ( 221 units)

VH-1N : 8 units Marine One for the US president.  

UH-1Y : Remanufactured UH-1N

AB.212 : Model 212 built by Agusta in Italy, including the AB.212 ASW naval helicopter

This is a great web site with pictures.
www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/uh-1-pics.htm
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, a great SHTF transport indeed!

As far as my original question, it's really not that important. I was just always a person who notices every little detail about stuff like helcopters. When I see variations it drives me crazy until I find out what the differences are. I guess you could say I am a sucker for details. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Good rundown there KA3B. Based upon that info, I'd have to guess the models that have the cargo doors with the single window are the B models. I am pretty sure those have a shorter fuselage and that seems to correspond well to that model's design. The "double window" models are probably D's, H's and N's.

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
N models are easy: they have the "twin pack" engines.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#7]

UH-1B

UH-1D

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if Army combat divisions still have any Hueys. I sort of doubt it.

I flew them as late at 1994 in the First Cavalry Division. (AVIM company)

I think that our company had the only two in the division. They were , I think, about to get rid of them when I left the Army in mid 94.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a few still scattered around in the active army. The MFO still has 10 of them in the Sinai and there are a few in Germany. Not too many left I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Ohio Army National Guard still have some UH-1's out here at Rickenbacker ANGB, mostly used as Medic choppers (dustoffs).
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
As you see by my name..I am a crew chief.  I know for a fact that the 21st Cav at  Ft. Hood has 2 UH-1H/Vs.  There are still alittle over 200 airframes still in army service.
Ft Drum has Huey UH-1V medevacs, MFO has some and CMTC in Germany still have them.  There are still some other active duty units that have them scattered about.  The National Guard still have alot of them.  There is even word that the NG will get some Huey IIs, which look the same.  Here is some facts:
UH-1B short fuselage
UH-1C (T53L11 engine) /M (T53L13 Engine) short fuselage
UH-1D T53L11 Long fuselage
UH-1H T53L13 Long Fuselage
UH-1V same as H but with radar altimeter and DME
UH-1N Twin engine longer nose (used by all services except the army...however the army has 1 for testing.
Huey II same as H/V with tail rotor reversed and N model rotor system
I have a good amount of time in these things.  Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#13]
uh-1 may be replaceing the camanchee soon
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Noisy, windy sons of bitches...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#15]
They are using them at Rucker...the trainers, test aircraft and Flatiron (medevac unit) have them.  They are also thinking about putting the commanche enigne in the hueys.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The 412

The 407

The 211(Huey Tug - 2000HP)

UH-1P (Note Exhaust)

UH-1B Gunship

UH-1H Nighthawk

Just a few variants I remember from way back when.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#17]
There were a handful of Hueys (I don't know which type) working as OPFOR VISMOD HINDs at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California.  Does anyone know if they're still in service?  The paint jobs were "Red Dawn"-like.  They were great for effect, if not totally realistic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Circa 1985, I learned that when rappelling from a UH1H that it is better to sit in the rear part of the door. The skid is much closer to the door opening and it is easier to step out on the skid when approaching the drop zone.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]
NTC at Ft Irwin still have them.  They are vismod UH-1H/Vs.  I think there are 8 there.   Fort Polk at JRTC may still have some too.  They may have lost them within this last year though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I was an Army Maintenance Test Pilot for the UH-1 for six years.

The easiest way to tell if it's a B (or C or M) is the troop compartment/doors.  You are correct in that the B has a single window.  It also has only the one sliding door.  The D/H has two windows (the windows are actually escape routes, and can be quickly removed from the inside so you can get out), and both the sliding door, and a smaller "jump door" or hinged door forward of that (that may or maynot have a window as well).  It gives you greater access to the inside.  

The cabin on the B also has the rear bulkhead flush.  It goes straight across the cabin, in front of the tranny.  The cabin on the D/H wraps around the tranny.  It extends rearward on each side of the transmission housing.  This is where the door gunners are, facing outward.  

The C had the L-11, the M model is a C model with an L-13B.  There were actually many of these "Mike models" used as gunships, and most C's were converted to "M" standard.  The Mike was the basis of the "G" model Cobra.  Same engine, hydrualics (dual), rotor system and pretty much everything is shared between the two models, just the body is different, and the addition of the chin turret (though the fire-control is actually the same as the one used in the left seat of the Mike.  Mike models are hot-rods when clean (i.e. no weapons) as they were much lighter than an H model, and had the same enigne and a more resposive rotor system.  

The D had the larger cabin.  The rotor system is different, and the hydrualics system is a single type.  No back-up system, as the different rotor didn't require hydraulics.  Flying a D/H without hydraulics is similar to driving your power sterring equipped car with the power steering not working.  On the C/M, if you had no hydraulics, you'd crash.  So they added the second system, and also an accumulator so you could actually work the collective even if the second system was shot out.  The C/M swashplate weighs too much to be moved without hydraulic assist.

The D used the L-11, the H used the L13B.  Both models had the pitot tube on the roof or nose, so that's not the way to tell the difference.  In fact most D's got turned into H's.  

The main difference in the L11 and the L13B is the L13B has a supersonic compressor section.  The air running through the engine flows faster than sound, and power is all about airflow.  The L13B and L703 (later Cobra engine) are basically the same, with some differences in material for higher temps and where you take the outlet temp reading.  The power curve is better on the 703, but the tranny in the UH-1H can't take the power, so the engines are downrated.  All fuel controls come as Cobra FC's and you have to 'de-tune' them when you install them.  Most L13Bs in service now are rebuilt 703's changed over to L13B standards.  The Huey II (Bell 210) will have 703's and a better transmission as well.

If you look at the pics of the D/H and the B/C/M you'll notice a longer tailboom on the D/H.  Actually it's the same tailboom with a "doughnut" spacer attatched to it to extend it out for the bigger D.  If you look at the D pic, you'll see it just aft of the cabin.  It's the area of the tailboom that seems to be a different angle than the rest.  It worked so well in prototype, that it just stayed that way in production.

The B/C/M is also slightly narrower than the D/H.  At least it seemed that way.  I test flew one of the original prototype D's in the test-pilot course and it was actually a C that was turned into a D by various grafts and additions.  It was the strangest Huey I have ever flown (and I've managed a few strange ones).  It was older than I was, being a 62 model.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top