Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 3:43:17 PM EDT
I'm going to Raleigh in a couple of weeks to visit my sister and her family. They're relatively recent transplants themselves, so they don't yet have a local's knowledge.

Can anyone suggest some entertaining stuff to do in and around Raleigh?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Dash to the coast & drive the Outer Banks. Pretty cool. Raleigh is only about 2 hrs or less from the coast.

Going west, the Biltmore Estate has rooms to let. This estate 500 room mansion & you get the picture.

Or you could stay local & get wasted drunk?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, BobCole, but I have to stay a little closer to town.

The situation is that my sister is recovering from cancer surgery and getting ready for some badass chemo. All seems well at this point, and I'm just going down to help my brother-in-law with a couple of household projects. I've never been there and want to see the town, but I can't really take off for hours at a time.

I was thinking more along the lines of cool gun stores/surplus shops, bookstores, used record shops, that kind of thing.

My bro-in-law says there's a Mexican flea market that we should hit. I want to do that for the entertainment value: My bro-in-law is really dark-complected and every time he goes anywhere down there, people come up to him and start jabbering at him in Spanish. He never knows what to do...he
I love the ocean but hate "the beach," if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Drive south to Fayetteville/ Spring Lake/ Ft. Bragg.

Great museum in dowtown Fayetteville, 2 more on post, and if you get someone here who is local there they can find teh jump schedule and maybe you can go watch an airbrop.

Bragg Boulevard, Rielly Road, and Yadkin Road have lots of great surplus stores.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Great museum in dowtown Fayetteville, 2 more on post, and if you get someone here who is local there they can find teh jump schedule and maybe you can go watch an airbrop.

Bragg Boulevard, Rielly Road, and Yadkin Road have lots of great surplus stores.

+1

Raleigh kind of sucks for what you are looking for Skull.  Go to Fayetteville!  You can even visit the Lightfighter store!!  Great way to relax for an afternoon.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks. My brother-in-law was stationed at Pope for a while, but hasn't been back in several years. I'm betting he can still find his way around, though. Hopefully, I'll be down there at the same time as my mom, and if it works out that way, I'll have a little more freedom to roam.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Raleigh kind of sucks for what you are looking for Skull.  Go to Fayetteville!  You can even visit the Lightfighter store!!  Great way to relax for an afternoon.

Bigfeet

If I go to Lightfighter, I'd better not take any more cash than I can afford to spend. I can just hear my GF now:

"But why did you need three chest rigs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top