Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 2:56:28 PM EDT
What the holy fuck is going on in this world?!?

We are soooo close to losing it as a society when you haul an EIGHT YEAR OLD KID off in handcuffs for a simple fight with another kid.  

Jesus!

www.local6.com/news/3788347/detail.html

First-Grader Arrested, Handcuffed After Fight

POSTED: 1:58 pm EDT October 6, 2004
UPDATED: 2:10 pm EDT October 6, 2004

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Police handcuffed and arrested an 8-year-old boy after a fight and charged him with misdemeanor battery and criminal mischief.

First grader Isaac Sutton was arrested Monday by a Tallahassee police officer after a fight with a 10-year-old boy in his neighborhood. A police report says Isaac punched and slapped the other boy during an argument. The victim's mother called police. Isaac was taken to a juvenile center and released to his mother after midnight.

"This was children's stuff, a disagreement between two neighborhood kids," said Kathy Garner, Isaac's attorney. The boy's arrest was made public by his mother, Pamela Kelly.

It was the second time in recent weeks that a north Florida elementary school student has been booked by police for fighting. A 7-year-old in neighboring Jefferson County was arrested at school Sept. 1 for allegedly fighting another student, hitting a teacher and scratching a police officer.

In Isaac's case, assistant city attorney Rick Courtemanche said the arresting officer decided there was enough evidence to arrest the 4-foot-10, 70-pound boy. And, he said, city policy requires officers to handcuff juveniles when taking them to the county's Juvenile Assessment Center.

"He just needs a good talking-to," Garner said. "This doesn't need to be handled in the judicial system."

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If the kid had parents who did a better job at raising thier children, this would not happen.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
In my younger days I got into some trouble and landed in the juvie lockup. While I was there a 6-year-old boy arrived to serve 90 days for spitting on a teacher.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
DAMN, now that is pathetic...

Hell I remember all the fights I got into when I was kid, big deal...

My younger brother one time, was being picked on by a kid older than him, IIRC, my brother was around 7 at the time, my dad told him to ram the kids head into a telephone pole.

Sure enough, he did, and that kid never picked on him again.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna pass on all the other obvious points and just concentrate on the fact that the kid is 8 yrs old and STILL in the FIRST GRADE! lol

What's up with that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
What ever happened to parenting anyway? Did that die out in the late '80s?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
"Zero Tolerance."

That's what happened.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
boys will be boys
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Should have tazed the little bastard.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know whether I should laugh at the utter stupidity of this whole ordeal or break the nearest object in sight...

Quoted:
DAMN, now that is pathetic...

Hell I remember all the fights I got into when I was kid, big deal...

My younger brother one time, was being picked on by a kid older than him, IIRC, my brother was around 7 at the time, my dad told him to ram the kids head into a telephone pole.

Sure enough, he did, and that kid never picked on him again.....

I think that calls for a "Git 'R Done!"
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And shot his dog, too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the police would have been fully justified in using deadly force in this case.
At the very least, the perp should have been jacked up with OC.

Cant take chances.

Those are brave officers...I would have called for backup...probably SWAT.

I hope that 8 year old rots in jail for a long...long time.
That will teach him to act like a kid in public.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The cop should have just shot his dog and left it at that.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
That's not a school, that's a pussy garden.  That's where liberals come from.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm gonna pass on all the other obvious points and just concentrate on the fact that the kid is 8 yrs old and STILL in the FIRST GRADE! lol

What's up with that?

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
welcome to Am3rika, comrade...where EVERYONE is a criminal!

Innocent Guilty until proven guilty innocent.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

And then shot his dog

But seriously, I dont care he was put into handcuffs. It was probably done as a scare tactic.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Great
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That's not a school, that's a pussy garden.  That's where liberals come from.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's up with that?

+1

+2

My kid will be 6 in the first grade.  (kindergarten now)

An 8 year old would be half again his size, weight and coordination level.

The 8 year old and/or his parents are mentally lacking.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have told my son never to start a fight, or be a bully. But I also told him to pound a bully or go down fighting. I would raise a ruckus & a half if he were arrested for defending himself from a bully or troublemaker. This is an outragous & stupid act by the out of hand police. That's some crazy crap for sure.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If the kid had parents who did a better job at raising thier children, this would not happen.

+infinity

CHILDREN are committing murders these days, withOUT any hint of understanding what they are doing, or the consequences. Our backsliding on traditional family values leads directly to this. The proliferation of single-parent households undercuts even the well-intentioned parent's attempts. And far too many children born out of wedlock are getting NO adult supervision, coupled to school systems that don't teach anything even approaching morals, ethics, a REAL sense of worth, or civil behaviour.

It's a big ol' Liberal- & multi-culti shit sandwich. Only problem is the little murderers it fosters affect us ALL.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Let me guess, your parents taguht you to never hit someone, and always talk your way out of a fight, right?

Guess what? It doesn't always work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What's up with that?

I'm glad someone else noticed that. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm wondering why the kid is still in the first grade at 8 years-old.

I'm wondering why they used the "zero tolerance" policy for this if it was not school related.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#29]

bull shit how the hell can you tell how the kid was raised from the storie.there fucking kid and kid fight
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#30]
The main thing, of course, is that the officers involved made it home safely to their families.

Damn 8 year olds!!  The humor is keeping my anger in check, at least for now.....

Yes, I know the cops were probably just following orders.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Just another fucking example of the state inolving itself in nearly every aspect of our lives and the attempt by forces to make it seem normal and desireable for "authority" to control our lives.  

This absolutely sickens me.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

And shot his dog....

S.O.

EDITED TO ADD---AWwww Fuck, you guys beat me to it........

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:07:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

He's got a point, maybe he does have bad parents. If they would have kept this kid in line, he could be in the 3rd grade by now. On the other hand, kids are gonna fight once in a while, if they don't they grow up to be liberal pussies. Cops are stupid sometimes, but some kids are just rotten, usually when they have fucked up parents... In that case the parent needs to be hauled in. Could have been the case here. All in all, the whole fucking thing just reaks of stupidity.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#34]
what a world we live in.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Give me a fuckin' break
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's up with that?

+1

Yeah - no kidding.  When I was eight, I was in fourth grade.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#38]
That is bullshit, who hasnt been in a fight in elementary school, i blame this on the damn liberals who are too pussy to stand up for themselves and have to go crying to the cops every time they get a scratch.

Hell, the ten year old kid probably deserved it anyway
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#39]
A few observations:

As has been observed previously, he is an eight year-old who is still in the first grade.  Kids are almost never held back in school these days.

He and his mother have different last names, and no mention is made of a father.

His attorney is quoted as saying, "He just needs a good talking to."  No, if he is punching neighborhood kids without provocation, what he needs is a good butt-whipping.

I grant that this is speculation on my part, but I am left with the impression that is not the first incident involving young Isaac and that mommy is unwilling to do anything more that take away his X-Box privileges for an hour.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What the holy fuck is going on in this world?!?

We are soooo close to losing it as a society when you haul an EIGHT YEAR OLD KID off in handcuffs for a simple fight with another kid.  

Jesus!

www.local6.com/news/3788347/detail.html

First-Grader Arrested, Handcuffed After Fight

."

An 8yo first grader.  At 8yo he should be in the third grade.  Besides that, what's he doing picking on a poor defenseless 10yo?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I bet that copper was scared shitless.  I'm glad the rogue didn't resist.  I wonder if he called for backup.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

His attorney is quoted as saying, "He just needs a good talking to."  No, if he is punching neighborhood kids without provocation, what he needs is a good butt-whipping.

quote]

When i was a kid, a "good talking to"... usually did include a good butt-whipping
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

And shoot his dog.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
welcome to Am3rika, comrade...where EVERYONE is a criminal!

Not when we get national ID cards. Then we'll be safe, tovarich.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#45]
When I was growing up there were fights at school all the time. It usually ended in a bloody nose or some other minor injury.
That was the end of it. There were no revenge killings and the adult violent stuff 'kids' are engaged in these days. We even (horrors) brought knives and guns to school. The principal would store the gun (not the ammo) in an unlocked locker and the owner would pick it up after school was done. (There were no stabbings or shootings.) The kids respected the principal b/c they treated the kids and parents w/ respect....not like problems or potential criminals or so much meat to be herded around. In short they acted like normal thinking human beings. If the police happened by a fight they'd break it up and that was the end of it. Kids still respected LE b/c they used their head and knew when to be friendly and counsel, when to roust and when to arrest. In short they acted like normal thinking humans. We didnt have Columbine style murders and all the stuff we enjoy today...none of the drugs (at least not until I got to HS). It was a really different time and mostly fun to be a kid. You could be a kid (esp a boy) w/o getting cuffed or coded or any of that present day PC baloney. Adults understood that you were a kid and as such you would act like a kid. Adults knew how to act like adults. They knew to look out for you and when to let your
parents know if you were goofing off. So for all you who missed it there were good old days. :)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#46]

"He just needs a good talking-to," Garner said. "This doesn't need to be handled in the judicial system."

Hah!  "Talking" to a kid about their behavior only convinces them that they got away with it.

Can you see a kid being afraid of, "Don't do that Junior, or I'll talk to you about it!"

If you want kids to act properly you have to teach them the connection between behavior and real consequences.

To carry this a bit further down the line, often when parents don't teach these things to their kids a judge will end up doing the job.

Slam.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Jezus! The pussification of America continues.

How many of you were told as a kid " If they start it, you finish it"? I was...By a single mother, I might add.

At 3 years old, I clocked my8 year old uncle Joey with a crescent wrench. Apparently he picked on me constantly. Never did it again. <-- Ok this was alittle extreme...but c'mon I was 3.

All this is gonna teach the kid is not to stand up for himself for fear of getting arrested.

Things have really changed for the worse, in just  15-20 years.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Hah!  "Talking" to a kid about their behavior only convinces them that they got away with it.

Can you see a kid being afraid of, "Don't do that Junior, or I'll talk to you about it!"

If you want kids to act properly you have to teach them the connection between behavior and real consequences.

To carry this a bit further down the line, often when parents don't teach these things to their kids a judge will end up doing the job.

Slam.

And unfortunately I think that this is exactly what is happening in this case.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slam.

And unfortunately I think that this is exactly what is happening in this case.

[sarcasm]I don't think just talking works...but God forbid we spank the kid...that's CHILD ABUSE [/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Jezus! The pussification of America continues.

How many of you were told as a kid " If they start it, you finish it"? I was...By a single mother, I might add.

At 3 years old, I clocked my8 year old uncle Joey with a crescent wrench. Apparently he picked on me constantly. Never did it again. <-- Ok this was alittle extreme...but c'mon I was 3.

All this is gonna teach the kid is not to stand up for himself for fear of getting arrested.

Things have really changed for the worse, in just  15-20 years.

For the most part, I agree with you, but (from the limited information we have) it appears that he is the one who started it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top