Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 2:19:44 AM EDT
Why is it that every successful hip-hop artist needs to project themselves as being criminals, even when they grew up in suburbia? Take Ja Rule for example. He was raised in a suburban community but then started projecting himself as a hard-core gangster. Then a song came out (“Hail Mary”) by 50 Cent, Eminem, and Busty Rhymes that dissed him for the fact, and his sales started to slide. It’s also interesting to see how the law enforcement deals with these young artists, such as the NYPD setting up a special “Hip-Hop Task Force” that monitors their every move.

I thought to bring up these topics because I just saw a preview for an upcoming hip-hop special on Court TV being produced by Russell Simmons. It’s called “Hip Hop Justice” (I think), and airs Wednesday (10/06) @ 10pm. It looks really interesting and hopefully will help put hip-hop in a more positive light.

Peace,

Trevor
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
They do that so people will think they are tough or a thug too when they listen to it driving around their moms mivivan they borrowed for the night (Or atleast until 10pm)

Then they have to get every item these dumbasses talk about so it will make them cool, alteast for a window of a few weeks/months
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Because people that listen to rap/hip hop are retards?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They do that so people will think they are tough or a thug too when they listen to it driving around their moms mivivan they put spinners on.

Fixed it for ya,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top