Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 7:49:21 PM EDT
Tomorrow, I'm going to try to buy 9x19s for my Sub-2000.

Who's willing to bet they will deny the purchase? (Poll coming)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
tell them its for a rifle, if they say no, demand to see a manager
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#2]
wasting your time. They'll almost certainly deny you. 'no pistol-caliber ammo to people under 21'.
Take your money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
tell them its for a rifle, if they say no, demand to see a manager

+1

And if they dont sell them to you, go to the store on the other side of town (in the redneck district, every town has one) and buy them there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to try this.. I tried it once at sportsauthority, and basically said no because they didn't want to take the chance they were wrong.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
they will deny it for sure, Ive seen it done.  Even some dealers think you still have to be 21 for the ammo even though its for a rifle
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
most of the time around here they will ask if its for a rifle or a handgun, no matter what ammo you buy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
most of the time around here they will ask if its for a rifle or a handgun, no matter what ammo you buy.

Yep . I love the look on their face when I tell them it is for my suppressed submachine gun .
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Or you might get a guy like the one at one of my local WMs, who considers all ammo 'rifle' ammo...

Very convienient when I've left my ID at home...

I'm 24, so it's legit, there is no law saying you must have a rifle to buy 9mm for one...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Just say, "its not for a handgun or a rifle.... I just pull the bullets and use the powder to make pipe bombs"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just say, "its not for a handgun or a rifle.... I just pull the bullets and use the powder to make pipe bombs"

and at 3:00AM as well
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep . I love the look on their face when I tell them it is for my suppressed submachine gun .

I did that actually, only I was buying a 100rd Federal ValPak of 12ga.  I swear to God, her eyes got as big as saucers!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#12]
It kind of depends on who's behind the counter.  I've had some ask me if it was for a pistol or rifle, some card me and some just ring it up because it's been about 30 years since I looked like I was under 21.  They always have to walk my ammo up to the check-out counter for me though and one mental midget required the same for PRIMERS.

Probably had a rash of people reloading ammo between the Sporting Goods counter and check-out line I suspect.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I voted "most likely".

Someone verify this for me, but as I remember (I'm 38 now so it's of no consequence to me) in Texas you have to be 18 to buy pistol/rifle ammo and 17 for shotgun ammo.  I know you aren't in Texas...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#14]
You know that little electronic sign on the register that gives you your total, and sometime asks for birth dates? Well, at all the wal-marts i've been at, it asks if it's for a rifle or not. If you say it's for a rifle, they will want a birthdate that states you're at least 18. If you say no, it'll ask if you're 21 or not.
At least thats how its been at every wal-mart I've ever been to. (9mm para the only caliber it'll do that at)
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
It will depend on the cashier you get.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I just bought two boxes of their 9mm value packs and they asked if it was for a handgun or rifle. I asked them about it and they said if it was for a handgun I would have to be 21, but if I said rifle I would only need to be 18.

Jason
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
either tell them it's for a tec 9 or an uzi
or any other 9mm "assault weapons"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Shoot, they don't even bother to ask me anymore, they just punch "y" .. and yes I look young.

edit: I've been WANTING them to ask me just to see the reaction to "no it is for my submachinegun"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I didnt have a problem with it, if you do get someone else to go get it for you.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]
My advice is that if you are asked, pull your carbine out and say, "I dunno, when I bought this they told me it was a car bean, does it look like a pistol or a rifle to you?"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My advice is that if you are asked, pull your carbine out and say, "I dunno, when I bought this they told me it was a car bean, does it look like a pistol or a rifle to you?"

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just for shits and giggles, I had a small briefcase. Folded, the Sub2000 fits perfectly in it.

So, here's some good advice: Beware of people with briefcases. I would never carry the weapon like that (jesus, get caught with that, your ass is in a sling legally-speaking).

I could always take the manual with me...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just for shits and giggles, I had a small briefcase. Folded, the Sub2000 fits perfectly in it.

So, here's some good advice: Beware of people with briefcases. I would never carry the weapon like that (jesus, get caught with that, your ass is in a sling legally-speaking).

No problem for folks with a CHL.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#24]
It's Sirhan Sirhans fault.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I feel left out...I have never been asked rifle or pistol.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So, here's some good advice: Beware of people with briefcases.

Try to find where his UZI came from..

He got that thing out quick too!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I never saw that picture....I remember watching it on TV when it happened. That SS agent seemed to have the damned thing appear in his hands immediately.
Man, I was in 6th grade when that happened.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could always take the manual with me...

1) You could take it into walmart in a briefcase in Illinois so long as it is unloaded, you do not remove it from the briefcase and you have a valid IL FOID (Firearm owner id card) eta: assuming you are not in Chicago or some other municipality that implements laws in addition to State law.

2) Of course, I wouldn't REALLY recommend this, but man it would be interesting to see how big the clerk's eyes got

3) I have never been asked pistol or rifle either, but then again, they do look at my FOID.

4) Cool pic of the Reagan shooting, anyone got any video clips?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#30]
legalese, in South Carolina, a "FOID" is considered the devil's work and doesn't exist.

In fact, it's likely you'd be killed on site if you pulled out a FOID from some state in a gunstore.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Well since the entire State of Illinois is just one big suburb or Shitcago, it's either that or felony firearms charges for me
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Walmart wouldn't sell me .22LR ammo, because "It could be used in a pistol."  But they let me walk out of there with 120 rds of Q3131A. . . .
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  that's what I tell 'em too.   that 9mm value pack works great in the uzi and mp5's
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Walmart wouldn't sell me .22LR ammo, because "It could be used in a pistol."  But they let me walk out of there with 120 rds of Q3131A. . . .

Thompson Center Encore pistol in .223 Rem?

CRC
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I agree to tell them it's for a rifle and when they say no tell them you can run to the car and get it, they usually will say no and sell you the ammo. Then again YMMV. Arvin
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Lol,
Nope, One of those goofy Remington XP-100 bolt handguns.  
Oh, and for my AR.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Theoretically, couldn't you tell them that you do not own a firearm, but you just "like" owning ammunition.

There's no rule, law or anything else prohibiting you from owning ammo just for it's own sake.  I mean, you can buy gasoline without owning a car, right?

I wonder how they woudl react to that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I guess it depends on who's behind the counter when you're there.

I'm just glad walmart no longer keeps a record of ammo purchases like they did 3-4-5 years ago...that kept me out of walmart for several years...just always creeped me out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Heh, better than I thought.

Walked out with 2 white box Winchester target loads. Surprised the hell out of me.

Stuff works good, cheap too ($10.96 for 100rds).
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#40]
That's good to hear. I like the idea of bringing the manual with you in case they give you shit over it though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I have never been asked anything at walmart.....i ask for my white box .40....they slap it on the counter.....i pay cash.....i walk out.....no conversation...no id...no nothing.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I have never been asked anything at walmart.....i ask for my white box .40....they slap it on the counter.....i pay cash.....i walk out.....no conversation...no id...no nothing.

YMMV

how old are you?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  That is fun, isn't it!  I've had people give me that "Isn't that illegal?" look too.......  HEHEHEHE!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#44]
what law states someone uder 21 can not buy pistol caliber ammo?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

how old are you?

This has been my typical experience since  my late 20's...and I look younger than I am....maybe not 21, but I havent seen them card anyone else on line ever. The walmart by me doesnt seem to make a big deal out of ammo. Might be a state thing....most of the places that sell ammo in PA are pretty easy going. Dicks even has .22 and shotgun ammo out on the shelves in the store...dont even need a sales person to get it...just grab what you want and walk up to a register....i have seen that with shotgun ammo in the past, but not rimfire ammo. (one of the many reasons I moved here from PRNJ).........but as I said before...YMMV
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
what law states someone uder 21 can not buy pistol caliber ammo?

From the 1968 GCA

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver --

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

source
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#47]
tell them it is for a machinegun and see what kind of reaction you get.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm 19 and I've bought ammo for my 1911 at walmart several times, I just told the cashier is was rifle ammo.  But I don't buy any ammo at Walmart anymore, because the last time I went in there some dickhead working the register refused to sell me .223.  I asked him "Do you have any other .223 besides the remington hollowpoints?"
He replies "yeah but you can't have it."  
"Why not?" I ask.
"Because your not old enough."  
Me: "The law states the you have to be 18 to purchase rifle ammo and 21 to purchase pistol ammo, I'm 19 and I have my ID why can't you sell it to me, I've bought it here plenty of times before"
Him: "Na you must be mistaken, I'm sure its 21," then the old bastard just walks off and starts helping someone else with a fishing liscense. Thats when I said "Fuck it, I'll go somewhere else." I guess I should've asked to see the manager, but I'd just rather not buy thier ammo anways, I can get better stuff for cheaper at other places.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Back when I was 18 (5 years ago) I bought a ruger 10/22 rifle at a walmart here in IL,  paid it in full  and returned for it in a few days. I compleated the paper work and asked to buy a 500 rd brick of 22lr shells, they said  NO because you can't pick up a firearm and ammo on the same day. I'M like O.K no harm done. I go back a week later and try to buy 22 ammo and they say NO again, I ask WHY (this is the same exact clerk that sold me the rifle a week ago) she said because this ammo is interchangable between pistols and rifles, asked for the manager got the same response, I let the manger know I would never  buy any other shooting sports item from wal-mart due to thier policy and walked out. I bet they never expected this from a 18 year old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top